Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1966 Volvo Amazon engine transplant!

Views : 23473

Replies : 145

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2014, 21:25   #11
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Cool

seems a lot of work for 115bhp which a standard b18 would put out real easy the already mentioned overdrive would have sweetened it all up a treat .

i would forget the injection and go straight for the turbo if your doing that much work then it makes sense , nice to seem some custom work being posted again tho keep up the good work and hope you enjoy ya barbieeQ

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 23:06   #12
Melody121

I wouldn't want it any further back if I'm honest, where it is, the gear lever will come out just in front of the seats which is nice.
As for the weight difference I have no idea but it's sitting very high at the moment and if it's more than 5mm I will have to have some springs made. It's a bit early to tell yet as the gearbox isn't in, just the engine on it's own. The mx5 engine is all alloy bar the block I believe I just don't have anything to weigh the two on so I will be going on old ride height vs new ride height.

Robert, I didn't want to go too mad on power increase as I want to keep the economy and avoid snapping drive shafts! however I'm sweet on trying out nitrous About half the price of a turbo kit and something different to try (my last car was a mk3 Toyota supra 3.0 turbo)

Last edited by Melody121; Jun 1st, 2014 at 23:09.
Melody121 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 21:34   #13
jimbo1593
Master Member

Looks awesome.
Great idea, and excellent to see you getting on with it and posting pics.
Don't lose momentum whatever you do.

Have you offered the gbox up yet? Does it fit in the standard trans tunnel?
I know later post-68 (?) tunnels are wider, but I thought the standard NC2 box was quite a bit wider.

Must be at least 40kg lighter at the front.
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 23:13   #14
Melody121

Thanks I certainly won't lose momentum, I'm paying for the space which is some motivation then I can't wait to drive it, and it has to be done before August as I'm going on a 800 mile trip along the south coast in it! (800 before I've got to the start point and then back from the finish point lol)

The tunnel might be a little on the small side it's hard to tell as it's not been offered up yet but the new box is pretty slim so we'll see how we get on.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 00:41   #15
nonhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1593 View Post
Looks awesome.
Great idea, and excellent to see you getting on with it and posting pics.
Don't lose momentum whatever you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody121 View Post
Thanks it has to be done before August as I'm going on a 800 mile trip along the south coast in it! (800 before I've got to the start point and then back from the finish point lol)
X2 and subscribed!
(http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332836)
nonhog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nonhog For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 10:25   #16
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

This is an interesting idea and I will be watching the progress.

Not my cup of tea taking a backwards step in engine size and power but if all you want is a more modern engine with fuel injection then there are merits to this. The 1.8 would have probably been a better bet. The loss of torque is my biggest concern with this.

The Japs do make good engines and I can see the attraction. At least its not another wasted effort fitting a cruddy pinto engine, that is one conversion that does spoil a car considering that the Ford boys fit Volvo engines!

It does look like it is all going to fit in ok, just try and give yourself a bit of time after it is fitted to iron out any bugs.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 13:22   #17
Melody121

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
This is an interesting idea and I will be watching the progress.

Not my cup of tea taking a backwards step in engine size and power but if all you want is a more modern engine with fuel injection then there are merits to this. The 1.8 would have probably been a better bet. The loss of torque is my biggest concern with this.

The Japs do make good engines and I can see the attraction. At least its not another wasted effort fitting a cruddy pinto engine, that is one conversion that does spoil a car considering that the Ford boys fit Volvo engines!

It does look like it is all going to fit in ok, just try and give yourself a bit of time after it is fitted to iron out any bugs.
I do want to put some miles on it before the trip but I have a week off at the beginning of July so hopefully that will be when it actually gets finished

I understand the concerns about engine size, power and tourque. My thoughts are that the more modern engine doesn't need to be as large to produce the same power figures, I really like this engine in particular and the gear change on the box is divine I had an MX5 forr a while and have driven plenty! .
There is a risk I'll slow the car down (in terms of tourqe) but there are turbo, supercharger and NOS kits that will just bolt on to this engine and it's a strong engine that will cope with that just fine. Granted it doesn't have as much tourque as the B20 it does however have 2000RPM more so I think this will compensate and in terms of driving experiance I'm pretty sure the B20 isn't running the same power as it did 50 years ago.... However, the proof will be in the pudding. I will let you all know what it's like to drive after

Who knows it might be rubbish lol but its an experiance and I'm not doing anything that can't be reversed!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 21:55   #18
Melody121

On another note, would anyone like to buy the engine? Perhaps a good spare?
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 19:56   #19
jimbo1593
Master Member

Measured up my trasn tunnel yesterday.
Standard volvo GB max 15cm wide, must be 5cm either side (1968 model)
NC2 GB about 21cm wide off the net
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo1593 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 20:38   #20
grantbennett2

Is this a B18, and if so and it is fully running how much would you be looking for?
grantbennett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grantbennett2 For This Useful Post: