Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1966 Volvo Amazon engine transplant!

Views : 23510

Replies : 145

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2014, 20:30   #21
Melody121

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantbennett2 View Post
Is this a B18, and if so and it is fully running how much would you be looking for?
PM sent, thanks for your interest
Melody121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2014, 06:50   #22
hutch63

Default engine and gear box

hi

did you sell the engine and gearbox. if not whats the price£ regards
hutch63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2014, 10:47   #23
Melody121

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch63 View Post
hi

did you sell the engine and gearbox. if not whats the price£ regards
PM sent
Old Jun 12th, 2014, 17:01   #24
Qcowboy

Please be sure to give us updates as you go. I'm with you in terms of using a more fuel efficient engine when updating. I'm a fan of street rods and customs, but I'm more concerned with driveability and fuel economy, less concerned with wild increases in power.

In truth , I'm entirely content with my Amazon's B18 and four speed, and the single change I would make is to make the car more fuel efficient.

I'm mostly interested to hear your experience driving with the new engine and gearbox, because at the moment my Studebaker has thrown a rod, and it may be time for a swap. It's about the same size and weight as an Amazon, so the MX5 swap may be just what the doctor ordered.

I hope it all goes well!
Qcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Qcowboy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 13:27   #25
Melody121

The Studebaker sounds cool do you have a picture?
I will keep this up to date I've just not had a chance to do anything for a while! My other half has a mini up for sale so we've been mega busy getting that finished!
The Following User Says Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 09:56   #26
Melody121

A small update from last night.
I spread the wiring loom out on the floor and cut out all the unnecessary plugs, I need a wiring diagram before I can continue as there are the odd few wires that I don't know what they are for but once there all off I'll unwrap it all pull out all the cut ones and re wrap it to make it a bit skinnier
We've had an idea for mounting all the fuse boxes ect too. The plan is to remove the heater matrix (not working anyway) and mount the fuse boxes where that used to sit on the bulkhead. This will leave the wings free of wiring. The old wiring for the lights ect will be run inside the arch to clean it up further and I'll safely wrap all the old engine wiring out the way so this all can be reversed if I ever get rid of the car.
Here is a picture of the loom and the pile of chopped off bits

My new clutch has arrived also

Oh and I should mention I'm going to replace the heater matrix with a mini one seeing as that lives under the dash and I have loads of room there seeing as the gearleaver is moving!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 22:42   #27
Melody121

We've had a busy evening stripping the engine bay tonight, the brake valve needs to move as it will foul the engine but its just going to move up a little and the fuel line needs to move to the other side of the engine bay.
Plenty of space has been gained by removing the heater box, that will be where the fuse boxes sit with some sort of lid over them.
The wiring will come out of the hole where the coil used to sit and a new hole that will mirror that one.
The throttle pedal is useless I can't see how it will be able to pull a cable so I think i will have to nab the one out the mx5, luckily it's not gone yet
Once all the cutting and welding is done I'll give it a good clean and some fresh paint!

The only other thing is that the transmission tunnel looks tiny! Although I don't think it will be anything a big hammer can't fix

Here are a couple of piccies

Plans for tomorrow evening are to start cutting away the front panel to make room for the rad, drill out the plates that hold the engine mounts ready to move them to the other side of the cross member, get the speedo cables posted off to have the new one made and I dunno what else we'll see how it goes.
It's good to have some progress!
Old Jun 21st, 2014, 17:42   #28
Melody121

I ended up painting the engine last night instead of anything else, it all needs doing . Looking pretty shiney now. I just need to paint the block and head red and it'll be in the same color scheme as the original!

Its hammered black, I thought it would give it an older look!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2014, 20:33   #29
tdz840
VOC Member

I think it would look better smoothrite.
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2014, 22:07   #30
Melody121

I really like it