Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 stop start advice needed

Views : 2121

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2016, 23:28   #11
Legacy7770

Thanks for the replys so far!!!!
So here's a quick update. Just finished replacing my cluch and duel mass charged my brand new battery for 2 days. Removed the bumper to get to the secondrey battery removed it from the car tested the battery and got 12.6 volts.
Checked the wiring from the battery to the fuse box all OK.
Can anyone tell me what the blue relay box is??
It's under the air box. Seems to have two red cables running to it and a multi plug. Am I right in thinking that this is the stop start relay??
Anyone know how to test it
Thanks Steve
Legacy7770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2016, 18:50   #12
dshbc

I definitely agree with above, when the outside temp sensor on my V50 was faulty (reading -23 degrees), the start stop which used to work when the temperature reading was normal has stopped.

I have guessed that because of the assumed low temperature, the system has disabled the start stop function which is what happened to my V50.

I also found that when other electric items are plugged in it would not work sometimes as well, or even if the fan/blower is on medium.
dshbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 11:47   #13
Rooster
Speed freak

That relay is glowplug relay from memory, the s/s relay is a grey relay in engine bay fuse box,

Charging the battery won't do squat without having the battery monitoring system counter reset
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 15:05   #14
JuglansjamesV50

Default How exactly do you charge the stop start battery

With my 2009 V50 D Drive I am finding with short journeys the Stop Start function/battery is failing. Last service cost me with a dealer overnight SS battery charge.
Does the SS battery get charged after a main battery charge. Example if main battery is fully charged, will it then trickle feed SS battery?
Or
How do you directly trickle charge the SS battery.
, noting is position behind bumpers etc.
I do note the Volvo caution of NOT connecting jump leads to the main battery neg terminal; connecting neg to V50 body instead. Whats that significance!
JuglansjamesV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 15:13   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuglansjamesV50 View Post
With my 2009 V50 D Drive I am finding with short journeys the Stop Start function/battery is failing. Last service cost me with a dealer overnight SS battery charge.
Does the SS battery get charged after a main battery charge. Example if main battery is fully charged, will it then trickle feed SS battery?
Or
How do you directly trickle charge the SS battery.
, noting is position behind bumpers etc.
I do note the Volvo caution of NOT connecting jump leads to the main battery neg terminal; connecting neg to V50 body instead. Whats that significance!
The Main Battery is the Stop/Start battery which does all the work , It's a special AGM 760A type , It could be loosing capacity with age if original . Do you only do short journeys ? How long did it work for after you had the long charge ?
The Aux battery gets charged all the time the engine is running , Very very rare for one to go faulty .

Connect the Earth lead of a charger to chassis so that all the loads go through the battery monitor on the negative terminal , It stores all sorts of data regarding battery use and condition .
Old May 16th, 2018, 11:15   #16
TallPaul1975

Default Sorry to crash this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomweston View Post
Dave
Sounds like a battery problem to me. Has the battery been replaced or is it the original one?
My Stop / Start would not work when I bought my used S40 1.6D. I took the plunge and fitted a new, correctly sized, battery and the all worked as expected. I tried ,any things before replacing the battery, nothing resolved the failure, the original battery was 4 years old. Be careful if you charge the battery in the car, connect +'ve to battery terminal and -'ve to the car body.

There are two batteries on the car, main under the bonnet and a small auxiliary battery behind the front bumper on the UK passenger side.

Tom
Hi Tom

I too have problems with my volvo V50 1.6D 2010. Tried giving the main battery a really good charge but still no luck. I never knew there were 2 batteries, I have tried to look for the second Aux battery where you said but can't see it, space is too tight and very crowded.
Any advice and tips on how to get to it to check/charge/replace it. Is it a case of removing the complete full bumper.
TallPaul1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 21:59   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPaul1975 View Post
Hi Tom

I too have problems with my volvo V50 1.6D 2010. Tried giving the main battery a really good charge but still no luck. I never knew there were 2 batteries, I have tried to look for the second Aux battery where you said but can't see it, space is too tight and very crowded.
Any advice and tips on how to get to it to check/charge/replace it. Is it a case of removing the complete full bumper.
Have you got the correct AGM 760A main battery ? Charging can take a long time 12 to24 hours with a decent 20 A battery charger .

The small Aux. reserve battery has no effect on the start/stop not working unless it is completely useless , I have never come across one yet .The Main battery is the one which is monitored and does all the Stop/start work .

Tags
stop start