Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can you buy an everyday car that will increase in value ?

Views : 5482

Replies : 106

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2017, 14:19   #41
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
My Golf wasn't a Rallye, it was a custom build with a B & M Supercharger and a host of other mods that doubled the price of the car ! I have to make do these days with my Porsche built 500E with just over 300bhp, and of course my 300CE.

I was a member of the team that launched the Coupe Fiat in the UK, was very familiar with all the derivatives.

Jon.
Wow, 500E is one of my dream cars, coupe Fiat 20vt was one of my favourite cars out of over 200 now. I didn't think your golf was a rallye when you mentioned Mike Spence. As I recall g60 rallye looked like a steroidal pit bull but never really had the teeth as standard. .you have some car history pruf, great stuff.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 15:07   #42
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

My 'charged Golf had an ABT bodykit, UR Quattro style arches etc, and Koni electronically adjustable suspension, OZ wheels...RE71s.

I used to see the car at Volkswagen shows, but never met the new owner as I have quite a lot of rare GTI and ABT items I was going to let him have.

J.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 15:29   #43
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Sure golf rallye had similar boxy bodykit, may be wrong. I was always underwhelmed by ur quattro even in 20v form, grippy but a lot of understeer, not particularly involving to drive but typically well made!! W124 mercs are still a bit of a bargain, love the coupes too. Last of the really granite built mercs?
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 11:48   #44
biggbn
I've Been Banned

A few cheap and cheerful daily drivers that won't shed money... Ford puma...one of my favourite cars!! Cinquecento sporting... huge hooligan fun on a shoestring. And I loved my streetka, good ones getting rare.

Nobody has mentioned volvos...480, 360glt, clean 200 series and 700/900 on way up now. I'm sure good 850 must start appreciating, t5r etc all on the up but clean standard saloons are criminally undervalued.
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 11:56   #45
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
A few cheap and cheerful daily drivers that won't shed money... Ford puma...one of my favourite cars!! Cinquecento sporting... huge hooligan fun on a shoestring. And I loved my streetka, good ones getting rare.
Values must go up of any of the above, if they survive the tinworm that likes to nibble them all
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 12:12   #46
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:

Nobody has mentioned volvos...480, 360glt, clean 200 series and 700/900 on way up now. I'm sure good 850 must start appreciating, t5r etc all on the up but clean standard saloons are criminally undervalued.
Puma and Cougar, both launched with fantastic TV ads with Steve McQueen (Puma) and Denis Hopper (Cougar). I had new Cougar V6 before my ST24.

Felt no need to mention Volvos, I will mention a real left fielder that is the Fiat Bravo HGT (the one with the 5 cylinder 2.0 litre unit) - fine car, find one though !

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:26. Reason: spelling,"not", should be"no"
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 12:15   #47
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
Puma and Cougar, both launched with fantastic TV ads with Steve McQueen (Puma) and Denis Hopper (Cougar). I had new Cougar V6 before my ST24.

Felt not need to mention Volvos, I will mention a real left fielder that id the Fiat Bravo HGT (the one with the 5 cylinder 2.0 litre unit) - fine car, find one though !

Jon.
I liked the three door stilo abarth with the 2.4 five pot. Pennies if you can find one, got a Schumacher edition version too.
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 13:17   #48
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
I was thinking on this while I was driving last night and wondered why no one on a Volvo forum had suggested the 480, a few years back they were going for very little money, recently they seem to have become harder to find and prices seem to be going up for good ones. But the question comes again, are they a 'daily driver'? A lot of them suffer from corrosion in the rear wheel arch which needs extensive repairs and the panels are not available, and if I've got it correct there's issues with the dashboard computer which is also unreplaceable. I expect some 480 owners will now tell me they're the best car ever but they may be a bit biased
I don't think the estates will ever be great money earners, they're good but probably don't have enough style, a good 850R would probably hold its value though.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2017, 13:55   #49
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Estates always seem to be worth more with the more modern volvos, conversely this may make the saloons valuable in the future as few want them, they are pretty worthless and as a result people aren't keeping them, many excellent 850 or 900 series have ended up scrapped or broken. I owned a gorgeous 940lpt saloon and am sure a same condition estate would have been worth double, or more, the value. I would love a clean 244 glt but they are now so rare and values are on the up. Still be a safe investment I'd bet.
Old Dec 9th, 2017, 17:23   #50
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Jag S-type.

Banger money now, find a good one