Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Choke lever

Views : 2734

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2018, 22:38   #1
Faust
Master Member

Default Choke lever

Does anyone have any pics or diagrams of how the Amazon choke lever attaches to the mechanism under the dash?

Trying to re-build mine and I'm not sure how it all goes together...

Thanks

Mike
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 23:19   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Mike;

The Sheath is interrupted...both sheath ends are captured under the clamp (I recommend barbing clamp, see Link)... and the (one-piece) inner Bowden cable makes a loop which fits over a pin on the bellcrank linkage. This is not the best pic for showing all, but will maybe still help:

Bowden cable termination can be seen on vertical (along with a micro-switch I added, which closes when Choke is activated, to give an indicator option), and horizontal goes of to the pull control which protrudes through Dashboard.

Source: http://www.sw-em.com/checkchoke.htm

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 14:10   #3
Splinelube

Default Choke Lever

Ron, I believe he is needing info for the under dash cable connection not at the carbs. Would like to know myself-under dash a mystery to me. Russ
Splinelube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Splinelube For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 15:09   #4
Faust
Master Member

Had a chat with Brookhouse this morning as I was ordering another new choke cable (be careful when cutting it to length or you'll end spending more money!)

The bit I needed is part 666622 - the clip that secures the choke lever to the mechanism.

Brookhouse don't sell this part so I've ordered it from elsewhere (along with a shiney new chrome bezel).

As I'm running a Weber downdraft, I discarded the original choke mech several years ago... I've never been happy with using el cheapo aftermarket universal cables so I thought I'd re-instate the original.

My plan is: choke lever to mechanism secured with the above clip, cable secured on the post (the round bit) & with the existing clamp, through the bulkhead, cable secured at carb mount and through the choke activation lever.

Does this sound correct? Bearing in mind my car was a twin carb model which makes things a little more complicated to resolve.

Gonna cut more carefully this time though: DON'T work on your car with a stinking hangover, that's my tip of the day!
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 16:33   #5
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Mike; Your "plan" should work fine...cable sheath is the length not to get too short...as a Bowden Cable, making it longer is not an issue as the motion at the work-end will always be transferred (unless Clamp at either end fails to secure sheath, and that's is prevented by barbing, see link), even if sheath is way too long...obviously making it too short is a problem...inner cable is nothing special...simply hard "music wire" of the appropriate gauge (you can anneal it with a bit of heat to allow twisting it into form to loop over pin...in OE arrangement its a loop in the center that goes to two carbs, but it could certainly be an end-loop with single sheath going out to single carb). Secure in-place with clip. Lube cable!

Russ; I'm not sure if you're missing it or not recognizing it...but look again...that picture IS of the under-dash works. Loop in Bowden Cable slips over a Pin and is secured by a clip...nothin' fancy...!

Cheers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 13:32   #6
Splinelube

Russ; I'm not sure if you're missing it or not recognizing it...but look again...that picture IS of the under-dash works. Loop in Bowden Cable slips over a Pin and is secured by a clip...nothin' fancy...!

Cheers[/QUOTE]

WHOOPS, Russ
Splinelube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Splinelube For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 08:07   #7
toad_overload

Simon from Brookhouse sent me a diagram. I'll see if i can dig it out and scan tonight.
toad_overload is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toad_overload For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 13:28   #8
simonvolvo

The arrangement in a RHD car seems to differ from that in a LHD car. (And maybe year-of-build.)

Ron’s picture presumably is of a LHD car.

Here is one of a RHD car (1970).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5439x-red.JPG (182.2 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by simonvolvo; Feb 1st, 2018 at 13:34. Reason: afterthought
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simonvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 14:43   #9
Faust
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonvolvo View Post
The arrangement in a RHD car seems to differ from that in a LHD car. (And maybe year-of-build.)

Ron’s picture presumably is of a LHD car.

Here is one of a RHD car (1970).
Perfect!!

That confirms that the part I need is the clip that holds the choke lever to the mechanism.

Drilling a 1.5mm hole through the handle and using a split pin does work... but you get a very, very annoying rattle/buzz from under the dash as the lever vibrates against the housing.

It'll do for now until my new parts arrive.
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 17:00   #10
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Simon;

Thanks for your picture of a RHD mechanism which shows the clip in question well...of course my picture is of a LHD version...I forgot to make mention of that...I've got to remember to do that around here...!

Mike;

That clip is somewhat specialized and it may be tricky to locate...but if you have a solution in place which works but simply vibrates a bit, remove the slop with some washers, metal or even cut from plastic, and you should be fine...a miniature Omega clip would do it too...or you could wrap the mechanism with some low density foam...or you could just turn up the radio...lot's of options...!

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post: