Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cracks in tyres

Views : 4297

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2018, 22:36   #21
WABB
Volvo Owner

Had similar cracking on Continentals after 6k miles/12 mnths - I bought replacements via a local garage who in turn challenged Continental - I got a 'contribution' of c60% towards the new tyres - not Continentals incidentally. Always worth a try in a reasoned way - you don't ask you don't get.
WABB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WABB For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2018, 03:00   #22
volvo always
Premier Member

Had some budget tyres crack on outer wall after 2-3 years, worn to around 2mm. Scrapped and fitted Michelin. Tend to replace my tyres at around 2-3mm.

Saw a car a few weeks ago with massive cracks all around in the sidewall of a rear tyre on a corsa. Lethal! Wide too at least 2mm.

Must check my tyres on my Lexus tomorrow for tread cracking. I'm sure they are Goodyear efficient grip, definitely of 2015 vintage in 205/55/R16.

James.

Last edited by volvo always; May 17th, 2018 at 03:08.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2018, 15:48   #23
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
It just occurred to me, has anyone else in whatever country you are in, had the same problem with low mileage Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres cracking, if so contact Goodyear they may do a recall.
Just looked at my goodyear efficient grip tyres on the Lexus and both rears have started to crack!

As you can see the date codes. Late 2015 and early 2016.

Not good. Going to complain to Goodyear and then get new rear tyres fitted.
Even the 2017 front tyre has very slight cracking!

Changing to Michelin Pilot Sport for 2 at £175.00 fitted.

It must be an MOT fail as wouldn't trust any tyre with cracks!

I probably won't get anywhere as on car when I bought it and don't know who fitted them. It certainly puts me off goodyear. I have goodyear ultra grip 9's winter tyres and they are brilliant and no cracking!

James.

Last edited by volvo always; May 18th, 2018 at 15:59.
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2018, 16:33   #24
Jimsiss

Pfft...you call that cracking? These are just the drivers front and rear on my 940, as you can see from the wear markers on the main tread they’ve still got lots of life in them but the very outer edges on both fronts are bald due to full lock steering a lot. Still got over 60% tread though so technically legal from that point, they are going to be replaced soon though, just trying to find some decent tyres.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C301E62E-B5B1-4F64-BCD9-C4A0CEAC485C.jpg (204.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 614B7F1A-5951-4EF2-8172-2CD3D3962C7F.jpg (199.1 KB, 9 views)
Old May 18th, 2018, 16:49   #25
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Had some budget tyres crack on outer wall after 2-3 years, worn to around 2mm. Scrapped and fitted Michelin. Tend to replace my tyres at around 2-3mm.

Saw a car a few weeks ago with massive cracks all around in the sidewall of a rear tyre on a corsa. Lethal! Wide too at least 2mm.

Must check my tyres on my Lexus tomorrow for tread cracking. I'm sure they are Goodyear efficient grip, definitely of 2015 vintage in 205/55/R16.

James.
Hi James, just had a look at your photo's, ok they were on the car when you bought it, but it still may be worth a try with Goodyear, tyre.techuk@goodyear.com I did not get a reply so after a couple of days I phoned them, my mail had gone into their junk folder, or at least that's what they said, but when I went back to Halfords with mine, their first words were "they need changing", so today I've had new tyres fitted (not Goodyear) the ones they took off all had 7mm across, these will now be sent back to Goodyear, I'll have to wait to see what happens next. David.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2018, 16:51   #26
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsiss View Post
Pfft...you call that cracking? These are just the drivers front and rear on my 940, as you can see from the wear markers on the main tread they’ve still got lots of life in them but the very outer edges on both fronts are bald due to full lock steering a lot. Still got over 60% tread though so technically legal from that point, they are going to be replaced soon though, just trying to find some decent tyres.
Give Goodyear a try, what have you to loose.
The Following User Says Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2018, 17:07   #27
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
Hi James, just had a look at your photo's, ok they were on the car when you bought it, but it still may be worth a try with Goodyear, tyre.techuk@goodyear.com I did not get a reply so after a couple of days I phoned them, my mail had gone into their junk folder, or at least that's what they said, but when I went back to Halfords with mine, their first words were "they need changing", so today I've had new tyres fitted (not Goodyear) the ones they took off all had 7mm across, these will now be sent back to Goodyear, I'll have to wait to see what happens next. David.
I have sent them an email. I'll follow up next week with a phone call. Do you have their number?

I'm awaiting my new V5 for the Lexus at the end of this month, so I'll change them then to Michelin. I have used Michelin for the last 8 years and no issues. Have energy savers on my 240 and 940.

I have nothing to lose and at least if nothing else highlighted the issue to Goodyear. My goodyear ultra grip tyres 18 months on are still perfect and great in the snow.

James

Last edited by volvo always; May 18th, 2018 at 17:11.
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2018, 18:52   #28
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
I have sent them an email. I'll follow up next week with a phone call. Do you have their number?

I'm awaiting my new V5 for the Lexus at the end of this month, so I'll change them then to Michelin. I have used Michelin for the last 8 years and no issues. Have energy savers on my 240 and 940.

I have nothing to lose and at least if nothing else highlighted the issue to Goodyear. My goodyear ultra grip tyres 18 months on are still perfect and great in the snow.

James
TEL +44(0)121 306 6000
Technical Helpdesk 0843 453 453 this is the number I used. David.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2018, 22:12   #29
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Oh noeeee!!

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bridgeston...ages&ia=images
Old May 19th, 2018, 08:28   #30
chrisfr

I have a French motorhome which had a similar problem. The issue is the vehicle standing for long periods on the same bit of tread.( in my barn ) Mine failed the mot, which was a lot less expensive than failing at 100 km per hour on the motorway! The tyres concerend were 10 years old so it was to be expected.
If the tyre is as new as yours, it should not do it. Have them changed and then argue the toss.( From a safety point of view. ) The liklyhood is you will get nowhere i am afraid.
The testers in france over inflate the tyres in turn to check for block cracks as its a killer.
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisfr For This Useful Post: