Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing Volvo 940 headlight lens

Views : 1554

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 17:17   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
I gave Lakes a call and was told they are closing in around a year's time, but that things will be winding down a little while before that).

I think I will go with the Lakes option - if anything to have a look at all the Volvos!!
Take a hanky with you! It's a sad sight seeing all those cars being crushed!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 17:38   #12
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

hi i woud get a secondhand .whole unit or glass every time . for the right price
only my personal opinion !
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 18:20   #13
haymitch

I thought I'd give an update on how this went. I managed to get the headlight assembly in and working which is great. I removed the inoperative headlight wiper motor and am pondering whether to replace it or not. The front of my car looks slightly sad with a hole where the headlight wiper should be! Thanks everyone for all the help.

It took me about 2 hours in the end. About 1 and a half hours of this was spent trying to unplug the multiplugs from the headlight assembly and headlight motor. Had to slowly cut off the previous plug connectors with a stanley knife. This worked, but was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to do this better? I removed the four bolts in the headlight assembly before removing the multiplug which I think made it harder because I had to hold the headlight assembly in one hand whilst trying to remove the multiplugs with another. I bought the replacement headlight assembly from Lakes in the end and had the same issue when removing the assembly from one of their cars.

I'm also wondering whether it's okay to leave the headlight wiper motor unattached? I removed the small hose that connects the motor to the washer fluid reservoir but I'm worried that now there'll be washer fluid spraying all over the engine bay whenever I wash the windscreen!!
haymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 18:38   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I removed the small hose that connects the motor to the washer fluid reservoir but I'm worried that now there'll be washer fluid spraying all over the engine bay whenever I wash the windscreen!!
Tie a knot in it!

The T-pieces are behind the passenger headlamp, easily seen if you remove the air filter box etc. If you work out which one is "open" and remove the T-piece and link hose that feeds it, that will still feed the other headlamp washer and the screenwash jets.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 15:16   #15
haymitch

Sounds good. Thanks, I'll give that a try!
haymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 13:44   #16
Casheye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Last time i was there was about 4 days before they were originally going to close. Barry (one of the brothers) said they weren't closing as soon as originally intended so it's worth giving them a call to see if they're still open.

Someone mentioned carpartssaver, that's one of the ebay names for EuroCarParts, they have one of their promos on at the moment (code is "WEEKEND35") and brings the price down to £121.54 from £186.99 :

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/V...c75bc27&000176

If you can find their listings on ebay (carpartssaver, carparts4less) you may find it cheaper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-940...cAAOSwALtaZiYk

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headlamp-...wAAOSw37BaZs23

Couple of options there for you.

Polar Parts do them pretty cheap. I've ordered stuff from them before.

https://www.polar-parts.de/electrica..._light_c29.htm
Casheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 14:38   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I thought I'd give an update on how this went. I managed to get the headlight assembly in and working which is great. Thanks everyone for all the help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casheye View Post
Polar Parts do them pretty cheap. I've ordered stuff from them before.

https://www.polar-parts.de/electrica..._light_c29.htm
I might have missed something but it looks like he's got it sorted?

Also unless i've missed something else, all the headlight lenses they list are for Left Hand Drive vehicles meaning the kick-up will be on the wrong side and dazzle oncoming traffic.

That will mean an MoT failure in this country. Also even on the continent, it won't produce the correct pattern as the housing/reflector twists the bulb slightly in one direction to facilitate the kick-up, LHDrive headlights have this going the other way.

Old Mar 21st, 2018, 14:44   #18
Casheye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Also unless i've missed something else, all the headlight lenses they list are for Left Hand Drive vehicles
So they are. I missed that. Plenty of parts there though that aren't dependent on what side of the road you drive on and pretty darn cheap too. In fact most of the stuff that I've bought in the past has come from out of the UK. Places like Euro Car Parts are just out to rip people off.
Casheye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Casheye For This Useful Post: