Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Importing a 780 to the UK?

Views : 1723

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2018, 10:34   #21
chrisfr

To register the vehicle in the uk you will usually need A certificate of conformity. I do not know if you can obtain one from the usa as they have their own system. Your first port of call may be volvo customer services in the uk as they may give you an indication if they can issue a coc via the vin number of the vehicle or they may issue another document called a certificate of identity. This basically is the same thing and shows all the specs of the vehicle in a set format, If you look at a vehicle log book it is arranged the same way. Eg j1 may show emmissions.
You may only be able to get a certificate of identification from volvo if the car is imported from a non eu country. That may still be ok.
Once you have an idea of wether you can get a coc or a certificate of identity from volvo,you now need to establish what would be acceptable with the dvla for registration. The way to do this is to go onto the dvla website and go through the import a vehicle bit and send them an email. This will create a case number. No matter how simple a question you subsequently have resist the temptation to ring them directly, but ask all your questions by email quoting your case number. It will create an audit trail which will come in handy if something goes wrong.
The last resort if you cant get any of the above may be that you have to take the car to be inspected. That happens in other eu countries to get round the problem of no coc and no certificate of identity. Again i do not know if there is a facility to do that in the uk and if thats acceptable to the dvla. You need to check.
Good luck
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisfr For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 23:16   #22
deeman940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
!!!

Jon.
Ooops, did I swear?!
I can't see the point of having a LHD car over here..I think.even if I had an E30 M3 I would convert it to RHD....a left hooker takes the enjoyment out of driving for me, although plenty of people don't seem to find it a hinderance...
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 00:39   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman940 View Post
Ooops, did I swear?!
I can't see the point of having a LHD car over here..I think.even if I had an E30 M3 I would convert it to RHD....a left hooker takes the enjoyment out of driving for me, although plenty of people don't seem to find it a hinderance...
I don't think it was the concept of converting it as such, more the practicalities.

I did some research some time back on the 780 and (in between totally forgot the main point which is) there were no RHD 780 models.

As the nose is shorter a lot of the mechanical parts are going to be bespoke and probably handed, similar inside, many bespoke parts i would think.

I have to agree on the idea of having a LHD car here, it does ruin the enjoyment of going out for a drive. Only ever driven one LHD and that was about 30 years ago, a Seat Malaga of about 1983 vintage. It was a Fiat Strada in disguise but i found it really awkward having the gearstick and handbrake on the wrong side and trying to drive on the road was a nightmare - all my spatial awareness was thrown into confusion.
Another thing i've found more recently is if someone is driving a left-hooker, they tend to drift to the wrong side of the road - seeing a Dodge Charger, Challenger or RAM 1500 coming at you taking half your side of the road as well as his own is a bit errrrr........... disconcerting!
It's even more worrying when the roads are barely wide enough for two normal size UK cars to pass!

As you say though, plenty of people seem to adjust

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 06:41   #24
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman940 View Post
Ooops, did I swear?!
Firstly you missed the point, the 780 wasn't built in RHD form and you'll find the bodyshell is not symmetrical. In addition the OPs original point is about importing not the positives or negatives of driving or converting a LHD car here in the UK.

Anyone considering importing a car needs to consider -

1. Grey import - a car of a type not originally sold in the UK
2. Parallel import - a car of a type originally sold in the UK.

There have different rules, and Grey Imports can have two - that is cars not sold in the UK but sold in the EU and cars not sold in the UK but sold in countries other than an EU state (e.g cars from Japan or the USA).

I don't find driving my (LHD only) 500E that much of an issue.

Jon.

N.B this is quite a complex issue, sadly I am unable to upload the article I wrote on this subject for the Car Import Guide.

Last edited by Prufrock; Mar 22nd, 2018 at 07:01. Reason: addition
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 14:08   #25
deeman940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
Firstly you missed the point, the 780 wasn't built in RHD form and you'll find the bodyshell is not symmetrical. In addition the OPs original point is about importing not the positives or negatives of driving or converting a LHD car here in the UK.

Anyone considering importing a car needs to consider -

1. Grey import - a car of a type not originally sold in the UK
2. Parallel import - a car of a type originally sold in the UK.

There have different rules, and Grey Imports can have two - that is cars not sold in the UK but sold in the EU and cars not sold in the UK but sold in countries other than an EU state (e.g cars from Japan or the USA).

I don't find driving my (LHD only) 500E that much of an issue.

Jon.

N.B this is quite a complex issue, sadly I am unable to upload the article I wrote on this subject for the Car Import Guide.
Sorry...my ignorance regarding the particular model is apparent. I see what you are saying now. I presumed wrongly that the 780 was based on the 940 and could probably be converted easily. Based on that presumption I was only curious if the OP would convert it.....
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 21:34   #26
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Need to add my 2p to this, especially so as I not only imported a 780 from Sweden to the UK in 2009, I also exported it out to Germany in 2011, where it still is in my ownership.

Best place to find a nice 780 will either be in Sweden or in Germany. The ones in Holland are seriously dear due to their tax system (see below).

The process in 2009 might be very different than today. In fact, it was really easy and, at the time, I did not need a COC from Volvo. However when importing it to Germany, this was needed. Sourced it from Volvo Sweden (your best bet as Volvo UK doesn't have a clue!). Cost €300 from memory. This is needed due to the car not being officially sold in Germany (nor the UK among many others) and contain all the information the DVLA (or TUV in my case) need re emissions etc.

Bought mine over the internet, without seeing it, from a dealer in Sweden. Of course a risk, but I was lucky. Then had it transported to Berlin where some work on it was done. When ready, I arranged for "Kurzkennzeichen" (short term number plates, valid for 5 days) with insurance and tax that allowed me to drive it to the UK.

At the time the form from DVLA was called V55/5. Basically you need to order a "Import Pack" from them. It can not be downloaded. You also need the usual MOT and Insurance. The insurance is done using the VIN number until such time you get your number plate. I also needed evidence of export out of Sweden, a simple phonecall to "Transportstyrelsen" in Sweden will sort that out. Oh, if bought in Sweden the Swedish number plates have to be sent back to Transportstyrelsen (at least, used to be like that).

It is NOT legal to buy a car in Sweden and drive it to the UK on existing number plates unless you have a Swedish address so having it transported is the safest best. Many ignore this though....

As for lights and speedo. I had absolutely no issues. The lights were adjusted and done using simple headlight converters from EU to UK lights (rather than the ones you buy in UK for driving in Europe). The speedo I didn't have to do anything.

Once armed with that, I got the car regged in UK.

It may very well be that today, it would be an issue however....

Right, having had a quick look at prices for the 780. They very greatly due to the condition. But a word of warning, anyone who thinks they can get a 780 for say Ł500 (like a beat up S60, V70, 760 etc) are very wrong. This is now a classic car and most that are still around would have been looked after. Many of them, like my own, have agreed value with the insurance co's. This value, in my experience, is much higher in Europe than in the UK and reflects the sale price. In fact, in my case, more than double!

Sweden - found only one at the moment. €12500 -87 V6
Germany - found a few, between €9-15000. Turbo -89 (US Imp) and V6 -87.
Holland - between €15-22000

The colors that were available changed over the years the 780 was for sale (1985-1990). Most years it stayed the same however. From memory they were:
Black
Dark Blue met
White
Red
Dark Red met.
Silver
Light Brown met (mine)
Beige met.

3 different interior trims were available. All freely available with every exterior color. They were:
Beige
Dark Grey/Blue
Dark Grey/Black

A "sporty" 780 would be black with grey/black interior. A "classy" one, everything else + Beige interior.

All 780's were fully equipped with no extra options available from factory.

The wood is real and is a sort of light birch. The italian leather is thick and of extremely high quality (beats many of today's cars). The original stereo was built by Alpine and second to none at the time with 4 speakers and two (!) amps as well as an equalizer!

The engines varies from markets. The Swedish had the V6 (156bhp without cat, 147bhp with). France and Belgium had a Td, Italy V6 and Turbo etc etc.

The 780 only really got one update in its life that is worth talking about....
1985-1987 cars were pretty much all the same, at least visually.
1988-1989 cars got the new multilink rear suspension, new design radio, new design climate control unit, new design gearshifter, new design electric seats switches.
1990 new badging at rear and new wheels. New waterfall grill (previous ones had the eggcrate). More chrome. V6 dropped.

As a note, the 780 have bespoke exterior and interior compared to any 740 and 760. In fact, not even one exterior panel are shared with any other model. On the inside, the may look the same but dash, seats, steering wheel and a few other items are different. On the underside and engine, suspension, exhaust, this is pretty much the same as the 760, on which the 780 was based.

Parts are becoming increasingly difficult to find. Sadly many parts are no longer available.

If anyone would be seriously interested in buying one from either Sweden, Germany or Holland, I would happily help as I am Swedish and speak the language + German + can help with transport etc
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's

Last edited by NewVolvo; Mar 23rd, 2018 at 22:28.
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post: