Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone used one of these?

Views : 1032

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 15:23   #11
deeman940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Oh dear. Have a look at this video Jim and then maybe consider cancelling your order :

https://youtu.be/Al_sW0oXAVY

I've never found the proof until now about what's inside these things but have suspected it's some form of controlled gap. What the guy in the video suggests about the aluminium washer floating in an induced magnetic field is probably right. However to create that fiel energy must be used. To jump the (admittedly small) gap within the block, energy must be used. This all depletes the spark energy from the coil.

In short it's a gimmick that will work on some cars, mainly those with low energy (contact breaker and ballast coils) systems to start with. I'd be reluctant to fit them to a car with electronic ignition as the higher energy to start with from the coil can find places to leak out of the block in the middle that much easier.

Also you're getting into the realms of corona and/or plasma discharge which i don't really know much about but the old saying about power being nothing without control rings true on those!
i have decided i am not going to use it now...i did wonder about it's compatibility with electronic ignition. what a load of bollocks!!
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 19:10   #12
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

I has some spark problems on a 740/940 and swapped in a set of modern HT leads ... for a while.
The Bougicords with those big blue chunky bits are better and seem to last forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 20:24   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I have to agree, Bougicords seems to have got it right. Normally i'll happily slag off French engineering for the oxymoron it is but the original set of Bougicords is still on my 30 year old 760 and still working. I feel there's a slight problem with them but to be fair, at that age and 221k miles, i think they've done pretty well!

That said the original Bosch rotor arm and dizzy cap are still on it as well, things improved greatly when i cleaned the cap inside and out, wire brushed the internal contacts of the cap and the rotor arm contacts with a Maplin-branded attempt at a Dremel but they're still working.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 03:51   #14
aardvarkash10
Master Member

there is a ton of these sorts of devices around. You really only have to ask a single simple question - if (the device) does what it says it does, why would the manufacturer of my car not have fitted it in the first place?

The only logical answer is that (the device) does not do what it states on the packaging.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 13:24   #15
Jimsiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
there is a ton of these sorts of devices around. You really only have to ask a single simple question - if (the device) does what it says it does, why would the manufacturer of my car not have fitted it in the first place?

The only logical answer is that (the device) does not do what it states on the packaging.
But car companies keep advertising they have these vehicles that they are testing and getting 100-200mpg from them yet most modern small engined cars still struggle to get 50mpg. You'd think they'd want better economy on production cars but without hybrids it's not happening. While I do agree with you on this one, there are some technologies that could be used, but anything cheap is pointless.

At the end of the day you can't create or destroy energy with our current knowledge of physics (well there is an experiment which performed in two different ways by two different institutes that had signs of extra energy but where it came from hasn't been explained yet) it can only be converted from one form into another, yes improvements can be made but not without spending millions on R&D.

Last edited by Jimsiss; Mar 24th, 2018 at 13:28.
Jimsiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 14:15   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The best way to improve (and keep) good economy and power, response etc is to maintain your car regularly (i don't mean just when the MoT is due either!), replacing things like spark plugs, leads, dizzy cap, filters etc and ensuring all the adjustments are as they should be as well as regular engine oil/filter changes, air filter, fuel filter, ATF changes in an auto and manual gearbox oil changes in errr............. a manual!
Not to be forgotten is the back axle, brake fluid, coolant, wheel alignment, PAS fluid, tyre pressures and wheel alignment and balance.

They all contribute to good economy and the general well-being of a car. It's been proven time after time that a well-maintained car not only runs better but lasts longer too.

All these gimmicks like magnets on the fuel lines, this spark doo-dah, even things like Brownes Gas/"heavy hydrogen"/HHO won't really help. The HHO option could save some money on petrol as it replaces some of the petrol used with heavy hydrogen but you don't get something for nothing. In simple terms, Brownes Gas is produced by electrolysis of water (same as how the battery works - the acid in a battery is there as a catalyst for the process) and produces two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom - the hydrogen is collected and routed into the engine to be burned instead of/in conjunction with the petrol.
The energy to electrolyse the water comes from somewhere - the cars charging system. To produce that energy, fuel must be burned. Now we're going round in circles!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 09:49   #17
globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman940 View Post
My mate who is also an absolute petrolhead came round last night...in conversation he mentioned he used to use these leads when he had cars with a normal distributor. He really recommended it, and I couldn't see the harm so I ordered one last night. Has anyone ever used one? experiences?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GMC-CCKW-...53.m2749.l2649
I had 2 of these, and I cut one open to see what was inside, 2 wood screws and a star washer! a massive rip off.
globetrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to globetrotter For This Useful Post: