Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 599465

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2018, 09:24   #1731
thefifeflier
The Fife Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
If your EGR/ Check Engine light has been on before then there should be a record/history of this or did you not get it investigated before?
Yes, it's been back to the dealer 2 or 3 times before for this fault, and I'm pretty sure they have it logged. But I think the only action they took was to clean the EGR valve which worked for a while.
plus 4 more (all gone)
thefifeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 09:48   #1732
thefifeflier
The Fife Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
You need to ask your Volvo dealer for a printout of the 'service actions'. This will tell you which parts (EGR cooler, EGR valve) are covered (or not) and to what date / mileage. This coverage is independent of any extended warranty.
Is this because there are so many variants and their cover only extends to a few specific models? As I said, I've had the car back to the dealer 2-3 times already for this fault, and up to now, AFAIK, all they did was clean out the valve which did the trick for a few months.

I'll try getting a printout as you suggest and see what happens. Thanks.
plus 4 more (all gone)
thefifeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 11:40   #1733
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifeflier View Post
Is this because there are so many variants and their cover only extends to a few specific models? As I said, I've had the car back to the dealer 2-3 times already for this fault, and up to now, AFAIK, all they did was clean out the valve which did the trick for a few months.

They could have cleaned the valve OR it might have been a sooted oxygen sensor -- which gives the same engine warning light. The good news is the sooted oxygen sensor is only a £100 job, the bad news is this 'fault' is not covered outside warranty, even though my dealer tells me that Volvo are still trying to find a fix for it (which sort of acknowledges it is a known issue).
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 14:22   #1734
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifeflier View Post

cleaning the EGR Valve was never an approved option , if it was sticking, leaking soot out the top of the valve stem OR the original type without a valve stem soot protection sleeve then it would be changed under warranty no question . They did not do this so prolonged your agony ...
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 16:02   #1735
AlexXC60

So I stumbled across this thread after getting an engine warning light on my recently purchased 2014 VEA XC60. The car quickly became un drivable to the point where it had to be recovered by the AA. A fault code pointed to the EGR valve so we took it to Volvo in Bristol who quoted £75 to run some further diagnostics.

After 24 hours I get a call to say the vehicle was ready to be picked up and that there would be no charge as it was covered under warranty! Turns out they had replaced (from what I can see) EGR valve, cooler and associated pipe work. The car doesn’t have any warranty on it so it’s good to see that they are still honoring this fix.

Currently 85k on the clock so that’s good going from what I’ve read on here. Assuming it’s still the original valve of course!
AlexXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexXC60 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 20:24   #1736
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXC60 View Post
A fault code pointed to the EGR valve so we took it to Volvo in Bristol who quoted £75 to run some further diagnostics.

After 24 hours I get a call to say the vehicle was ready to be picked up and that there would be no charge as it was covered under warranty!
Maybe you should ask for the £75 diagnostic to be refunded ?
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 21:29   #1737
K5 Gus

Quote:
Strathmore Volvo in Perth charged me £72 for diagnostics, once car was out of warranty, then Volvo UK fixed for free.

I did email them later that day querying the £72 charge, but they were adamant they could only claim the repair work back from VUK, not the diagnosis as well, when car out of warranty.

Given that I was looking at a bill of over £800 if VUK hadn't paid up, then was OK with the £72
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 21:32   #1738
AlexXC60

Quote:
There was no charge at all! Not even the diagnostic!
AlexXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 08:24   #1739
Chief inspector
Master Member

That’s mine down as well, they dont have a kit though, getting done on Wednesday, need to catch a ferry to the continent on thursday.

Car is on 46,000 miles, other than a failed starter motor and heated seat pad, the car has been faultless.New V90 due in stock late May....
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 10:12   #1740
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post
That’s mine down as well, they dont have a kit though, getting done on Wednesday, need to catch a ferry to the continent on thursday.

Car is on 46,000 miles, other than a failed starter motor and heated seat pad, the car has been faultless.New V90 due in stock late May....
I can't understand why Volvo don't 'give' an EGR kit to every dealer to keep on the shelf ready for fitting. When my warning light came on the first time I asked my dealer to get one in ready to fit - which they did - but in the end it was a sooted oxygen sensor (which has now happened twice). It just saves two visits to the dealer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post: