Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 towbar

Views : 1340

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Which Towbars have most folk gone for??
Fixed 3 14.29%
Detachable 18 85.71%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 21:03   #1
Mrs Wez

Default V60 towbar

We are in a dilemma. Wether to go for a fixed or detachable Towbars. Any body that has a fixed one, does it affect the sensors when reversing??
Mrs Wez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 22:46   #2
HDAV
Master Member

Had fixed on old car did bang my shins a few times won’t effect sensors too close, detachable on new car bit of a pain but used couple of times a month if I go away towing I leave it on till I get back.

May need a towing module (dealer uploaded software) added onto car so factor that into quotes for fitting and get proper Volvo electrics that plug on not the ones soldered/crimped into the rear lights
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HDAV For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 07:52   #3
soleil

Had a detachable towbar on a previous car (not Volvo) and it was such a pain to unlock, remove, stow away and replace the bumper cover - reverse the process to put it on. Went for a fixed towbar which Volvo supplied and fitted. When reversing with a trailer the rear sensors are turned off. Good tip I picked up with removable towbars is to keep an unlock key with you at all times and one in the vehicle glove box in case one is lost.
The Following User Says Thank You to soleil For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 10:22   #4
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleil View Post
Had a detachable towbar on a previous car (not Volvo) and it was such a pain to unlock, remove, stow away and replace the bumper cover - reverse the process to put it on. Went for a fixed towbar which Volvo supplied and fitted. When reversing with a trailer the rear sensors are turned off. Good tip I picked up with removable towbars is to keep an unlock key with you at all times and one in the vehicle glove box in case one is lost.
This one isn’t too bad to fit unclip the cover (could look nicer) then slide the bar in and push down until it clicks, once it clicks turn the key all done, don’t need to kneel down but makes it a bit easier. Reverse unlock twist handle until it releases slide the bar out and slide the cover back in.

Good tip re the key.
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2018, 19:55   #5
kswiss83

I went detachable. Purely for the reason of shins. Left it on one day and you guessed it, hit my shin (several curse words later, and ....remove again). With it on though it doesn't affect parking sensor either. It's a witter one, when removed the electrical socket swivels up and hides nicely. You can barely tell theres one fitted.

Last edited by kswiss83; May 28th, 2018 at 20:32.
kswiss83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2018, 21:12   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Wez View Post
We are in a dilemma. Wether to go for a fixed or detachable Towbars. Any body that has a fixed one, does it affect the sensors when reversing??
I think the deciding factor is how often do you use it ? twice a year then detachable , once a month maybe fixed ..
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 11:26   #7
civilservant

I could be wrong but I didn't think the V60 allows for a detachable tow bar?
civilservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 11:39   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
I could be wrong but I didn't think the V60 allows for a detachable tow bar?
Yes , there was always the option of both on any volvo ..

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-501463/2016
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 12:24   #9
Grimble
Grimble

If anyone is interested, for the price of the postage I have 2 genuine Volvo detachable bumper covers for the factory fit towbar from a 58 plate V70. Both black, but the paint on one would need doing up.

Couldn't bring myself to chuck them when I sold the car.
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 12:41   #10
civilservant

Great, useful to know that a detachable is available. When I entered my reg on the Volvo accessory page, the detachable tow bar didn't appear as an option.
civilservant is offline   Reply With Quote