Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Throttle body cleaning guide

Views : 4433

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2018, 06:21   #11
Peter Smith

Have just cleaned my throttle body, it needed it!
Was concerned about removing the linkage in photo 2 as it is 24 year old plastic. Looking closely it is a turnbuckle so you can loosen the lock screws at either end of the threaded section and just turn the central shaft so that it comes apart. No chance of breaking the plastic ends.

Cheers from Sydney, Peter
Peter Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Smith For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 11:02   #12
Forrest
VOC Member

The plastic ball joints were common across quite a number of Volvo models and are still available. The threads go opposite directions at either end of the linkage. I decided to replace one with a broken clip on my 1994 estate, but it had previously stayed in position in that state for a long time.

Right-hand thread 946703
Left-hand thread 946704
Forrest is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 10:58   #13
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Easier

The few times I cleaned the throttle housing, I just took off the inlet hose, fully opened the throttle manually and cleaned the inside of the body with a cloth drenched in brake cleaner or white spirit. Quick and easy, not need for any gasket replacement or risk of breaking off parts. Probably not as thorough as removing the housing, but it mainly cleans the spots where cleaning is required the most: the small openings between throttle flap and housing.
I have to say, even after almost 400K miles the throttle flap still looks rather clean. Much cleaner than the one shown in the guide. I never did anything to the connections to/from the CIS valve. I only cleaned the CIS valve once, but I can't remember it being very dirty or sticky. I do not know why these parts stay fairly clean on my 940LPT. Maybe high quality oil?
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 18:48   #14
mjk164
VOC Member

On my 960 I only gently wedge fully open the butterfly and clean with a petrol soaked rag around a thin stick. Cleans it beautifully and dead easy. Make sure the 2 or 3 vacuum holes half way down are clear; make up a simple piece of bent wire for this. Job done!
IE, with the amount of crud around yours from the photo, I would have a look at the engine breather pipe and filter.
mjk164 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2018, 16:50   #15
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi, I am due to clean my throttle body and have come across several youtube cleaning instructions showing the throttle body being cleaned in situ with an aerosol spray. Is this an acceptable procedure as its a lot easier than removing the body. thanks jack.
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jack taylor For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2018, 17:57   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
Hi, I am due to clean my throttle body and have come across several youtube cleaning instructions showing the throttle body being cleaned in situ with an aerosol spray. Is this an acceptable procedure as its a lot easier than removing the body. thanks jack.
It's the way i've always done it Jack - you don't get time to strip it completely in a dealers when you're trying to clean the throttle body. Open the throttle butterfly as far as you can by hand, if there's a long nozzle on the carb/intake cleaner, use it to get inside and try and find the various drillings for breathers and so on and give them a concentrated squirt.
Start at the top and work down, it should get easier and you can always go back and squirt one of the top holes again if it doesn't clear. Also if you can, remove any air/vacuum hoses from the throttle body and spray through from the outside.

Don't forget the flame trap as well and if you have the sort of oil filler cap that has the hose going to it, remove the hose and cap and give the internals a good squirt as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 00:49   #17
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Dave, many thanks for the very detailed info. Having sprayed everything do you start up and let the engine idle or give it an italian tune-up. Will any cleaner suffice or do you have a preference. thanks jack.
Old May 24th, 2018, 08:55   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
Hi Dave, many thanks for the very detailed info. Having sprayed everything do you start up and let the engine idle or give it an italian tune-up. Will any cleaner suffice or do you have a preference. thanks jack.
Normally i start it, let it idle for a few seconds until the worst of the evil smelling smoke has gone then give it another few squirts and a few revs in between.

It does need to be carb/intake cleaner, Wynns, comma and similar do good ones and so do Toolstation :

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p30713

About half the price of the usual branded stuff mentioned above yet does the same job. Has a lot of other uses as a degreaser/cleaner as well.

Italian tune-up optional!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 18:14   #19
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Dave, many thanks; most grateful....jack