Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo conversion

Views : 2883

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 23:10   #1
dan 244
Master Member

Default Turbo conversion

Right, something I have been thinking about for a few years, making one of my 240s a turbo. I have changed like for like engines before, my dad and I did one in a 300000 mile 244 he had a long time ago, and I have since changed a recon engine in a transporter van. So basic knowledge I suppose.

Now I have a couple of potential cars to use, I have 3 244s that are mint and will remain totally that way. But I have a couple I would consider doing this with. I have a 1977 round headlight 2.1L. 3 speed auto. 90000miles, will need small amounts of bodywork too, but nothing major, slight scuff on front wing, and rear edges of cills slightly rusty, possibly cut out and welded, and rear arches small surface stuff, cleaned out before getting worse if I was to use it. Or a 1980 square headlight 2.1L 4 speed manual with 45000miles. Body good, probably just get the cills painted black and round the rear arch lips to offer good protection.

So which car is the best starting point? I am assuming the rear axel will have something to do with that, different ratios?

I have a 1989 240gl 2.0L 3speed auto with overdrive if any parts from that would be useful and a 1989 240gl 5speed manual for parts too. I also have a 1993 940 wentworth done 140000 with blown turbo 5speed manual which I don’t know if to repair or could be used for engine, but it’s only a 2.0L would I be better to use a 2.3L

So really any advice on the most straightforward set up?
Which car to use?
Which engine?
Should I get it reconed while it’s out?
Auto or Manual?
Or can I just add a turbo like the r-sport conversions, would I get those parts?
How complex is the change and getting it to all work?
I read somewhere using a 240 90 onwards wireing loom was best to put in a later type engine, how easy is that to swap?

I don’t want crazy fast, the 940wentworth drove nicely, that or a bit more, just looking to spice up a 240.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 09:37   #2
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Use a car thats got LH injection as stadard its mostly plug and play. You need a 1990 onwards really.

Which car to use?
See above.

Which engine?
Why fit a 2.0 when a 2.3 is available and better for the same amount of work

Up to you. I didnt bother.

Auto or Manual?
Manual always. The M90 transmission the best one but if you dont go launching it and doing burnouts then the stock M46/,47 will survive.

Or can I just add a turbo like the r-sport conversions, would I get those parts?
Not that I know of

With a LH car. Its mostly plug and play except you need the ECU and EZK from the donor car, get them chipped whilst you're at it. Downpipe needs to be made too.

I read somewhere using a 240 90 onwards wireing loom was best to put in a later type engine, how easy is that to swap?
95% plug and play. You have to extend the maf wire to the other side of the engine bay.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 13:25   #3
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz View Post
Use a car thats got LH injection as stadard its mostly plug and play. You need a 1990 onwards really.

Which car to use?
See above.

Which engine?
Why fit a 2.0 when a 2.3 is available and better for the same amount of work

Up to you. I didnt bother.

Auto or Manual?
Manual always. The M90 transmission the best one but if you dont go launching it and doing burnouts then the stock M46/,47 will survive.

Not that I know of

With a LH car. Its mostly plug and play except you need the ECU and EZK from the donor car, get them chipped whilst you're at it. Downpipe needs to be made too.

95% plug and play. You have to extend the maf wire to the other side of the engine bay.
Thanks for that. So yes I agree best to use a 2.3, that was my instinct, just I had the 2.0. So what vehicles are best to look for, I have seen some that say LPT, is that engine ok, or are there specific models or years of car to look for?

What vehicles will the m90 be found in?

You mention using a 90 on 240, could I not just get the remaining components from a 90 on 240, and refit into one of my earlier models? Or is that getting complicated? What would need changing? I’m assuming just the loom and any relays. I assume this would be a dash rewire also, but would the new loom have connectors for the existing components, like Speedo, indicator stalks, lighting etc, and would the connectors be the same?

My 940 has a boos gauge, is that needed in the setup, did you fit one in your 240?

Sorry for the big list again, thanks for the reply.

Last edited by dan 244; Jan 3rd, 2018 at 13:29.
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 13:48   #4
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Why not get a car that already has the 2.3 LH2.4 engine in it? Less work, and....

I suspect there are buyers for that 1977 round headlight 2.1L. 3 speed auto. 90000miles, will need small amounts of bodywork and for that 1980 square headlight 2.1L 4 speed manual with 45000miles. Body good. How many of those cars are remaining now?

And do enjoy the conversion. Those turbo jobs do sound good fun.

Stephen
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 15:13   #5
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

So what vehicles are best to look for, I have seen some that say LPT, is that engine ok, or are there specific models or years of car to look for?

LPT is just low pressure turbo. Volvo used the same engine their Low and high pressure models but the boost was just different. You'll no doubt want more power so youll fit a boost controller and that'll solve it.

What vehicles will the M90 be found in?

Manual 940's with the newer style gear knob (not like a 240 one) is the easiest way to spot an M90.

You mention using a 90 on 240, could I not just get the remaining components from a 90 on 240, and refit into one of my earlier models? Or is that getting complicated? What would need changing? I’m assuming just the loom and any relays. I assume this would be a dash rewire also, but would the new loom have connectors for the existing components, like Speedo, indicator stalks, lighting etc, and would the connectors be the same?

You'd have to do a full loom swap and potentially convert from a speedo cable to an electronic speedo if your car was a cable originally.

My 940 has a boos gauge, is that needed in the setup, did you fit one in your 240?

You don't need a boost gauge but its a handy thing to have. Fit a proper gauge, a **** OEM one that just goes left to right or white to black or whatever is no use. You an actual one that measures either BAR on PSI.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 20:02   #6
mylittletony
Master Member

The 940 will yield useful parts, I think being an m47 5spd it should have a dog dish flywheel. It might also have a g80 diff which is worth extracting, if not for you then to sell.
If you're not that fussed about max power, the 2.0 from the 940 will go up to 190 odd bhp with a bit more boost, could just pop the lot into the car of your choice...
For what it's worth, I'm running a 940 auto at the moment and I like driving it, the gear ratios seem to work out better than a manual even though there's only 4
mylittletony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mylittletony For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 00:30   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Starting with a late model car that already has LH2.4 is the easy way.

If fitting to a older 240 you wither need to pick out the 940 loom or buy the conversion loom

If you have a 2.0 turbo available then you had may as well use it biut if searching out a engine then aim for a 2.3

Choice for you on rebuilding. I would always rather rebuild but have on a number of conversion just dropped teh engine in as is (other than swapping dizzy and shaft)

I have done both Auto and Manual swaps, you will know what you want
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 08:38   #8
dan 244
Master Member

Thanks guys, a few pointers there, I will pick up on some of those early next week, next few days are going to be busy!! Thanks
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 12:51   #9
dan 244
Master Member

Thanks Antz

Manual 940's with the newer style gear knob (not like a 240 one) is the easiest way to spot an M90.

........ I think my Wentworth must have a M90 then as it has newer type knob with reverse backwards under 5th

You'd have to do a full loom swap and potentially convert from a speedo cable to an electronic speedo if your car was a cable originally.

....... how would I overcome this if I was to use an early car, the cable I think comes off the gearbox that I would be replacing. I guess use rear axel off a newer car with electric pick up? Is it that easy?
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 12:58   #10
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittletony View Post
The 940 will yield useful parts, I think being an m47 5spd it should have a dog dish flywheel. It might also have a g80 diff which is worth extracting, if not for you then to sell.
If you're not that fussed about max power, the 2.0 from the 940 will go up to 190 odd bhp with a bit more boost, could just pop the lot into the car of your choice...
For what it's worth, I'm running a 940 auto at the moment and I like driving it, the gear ratios seem to work out better than a manual even though there's only 4
Thanks..... I think my Wentworth has the M90 in it?

I’m not sure about manual or auto, but probably slightly more swayed to auto as that’s probably what I prefer driving. When you say the ratios work out better how dose it cruse, in the 240 autos used to rev much more than the manual in top at 70, but I guess the extra gear helps.