Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

As I wait for VoC Assistance AGAIN!

Views : 2833

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2018, 15:23   #1
Jcbrown

Default As I wait for VoC Assistance AGAIN!

Twice in 2 months now! Different issue this time
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 16:40   #2
volvo for ever
Premier Member

sw update
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo for ever For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 17:09   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbrown View Post
Twice in 2 months now! Different issue this time
Would like to see an update to what the problem was and the outcome, and how long you waited for help to arrive if you would please.
Hope it gets resolved quickly.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 17:38   #4
Chief inspector
Master Member

Do Volvo have a service fleet like JLR/ Audi etc? Ive only had daft local tow truck types, so its always a tow/ jump start to dealer.

When the Range Rover has an issue its a branded JLR service van that turns up, they keep spare wheels for example if the foam hasn’t worked to allow you to drive to a tyre shop.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 18:43   #5
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
sw update
On latest s/w - car was only in 2 weeks ago for 1 year service
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 19:05   #6
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Would like to see an update to what the problem was and the outcome, and how long you waited for help to arrive if you would please.
Hope it gets resolved quickly.
Not really sure in the end. Pressed the call button, guy answered, all ok. quoted 90 mins for assistance to turn up. And it was about that.

Started the car and message reappears - now also saying "Battery low". Popped bonnet & boot. He attached the tester to the jump-start points under the bonnet, I re-started: Alternator's f***ed mate!

Then things got a bit confused: Nothing I can do mate. You can ring Volvo, but they will be shut now. You got far to go? (about 100 miles). I'll just ring it in that i'm done.

He rings, then come out to me and gives me his phone. Lady asks for postcode I am traveling to. Says she will check if this is authorised, and if it is the driver will take me 1/2 way (Woodall Services) where they will arrange for someone else to take me the rest of the way. She then hangs up.

Whilst we are waiting for the presumed call back the guy says he'll try something else. Disconnects battery in the boot, leaves it a min or 2, reconnects it. I start it, and no message. I take it round the block. No message. Stop/start kicks even in kicks in, even though less than 1 mile ago it was reporting low battery.

We complete the "paperwork" and I head home (after picking up a set off spanners from my Mothers in case I need to repeat the process). No message all route. Stop for coffee on the way, no message.

So really at a loss. The car has to go back in sometime for some warrantee work anyway, and I will ring the dealer 1st thing on Monday to tell them.

But I need the car next week - got a few work trips to do.

Will let you know, but for now it all appears ok.

Last edited by Jcbrown; Mar 10th, 2018 at 19:08.
Jcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jcbrown For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 19:07   #7
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post
Do Volvo have a service fleet like JLR/ Audi etc? Ive only had daft local tow truck types, so its always a tow/ jump start to dealer.

When the Range Rover has an issue its a branded JLR service van that turns up, they keep spare wheels for example if the foam hasn’t worked to allow you to drive to a tyre shop.
The two times I have used them it has been local independent (not Volvo) units. Both times fixed roadside
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 19:20   #8
cassell
Member since 1988

Glad you got home OK, when reading your account of the 'repair' it reminded me of when I used to ring the IT department at work with a computer problem years ago.

It would now appear that 'shut it down and reboot it back up' wasn't such a daft suggestion either then, or nowadays that we drive cars with more computing power than my old works laptop!
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 19:51   #9
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
It would now appear that 'shut it down and reboot it back up' wasn't such a daft suggestion either then, or nowadays that we drive cars with more computing power than my old works laptop!
Also known as the "I have no idea, but I'm a man so I have to look like I do. So I'll fiddle with something and switch it off /on in the hope it might have some result, even if it is the wrong result"
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 20:32   #10
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

I carry a 10mm and 12mm spanner in the boot for this very eventuality....

If you had only made it to Woodall I could have come and helped you - it is the nearest services to me....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post: