Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speedometer 940

Views : 2076

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2018, 11:50   #31
98945lt

I don't think I have that thing in my cat, but will take a look. I'm busy a couple of days now, I think a can check it out on wednesday or thursday.
98945lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 12:47   #32
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98945lt View Post
Hm. What is cold air intake and thermostatic valve?
A cold air intake is generally an aftermarket air filter with some ducting to provide cold air only to the engine. I picked one at random on the K&N website to link to as they don't appear to list the 940 (except for standard replacement filters) which turns out to be for a Celica. Shows the idea though :

https://www.knfilters.com/search/pro...x?prod=57-0324

As for the thermostatic air intake valve, Bob has kindly explained it very well with some great photos - thanks Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
If you have one here are some pics of the one in my 745 (non-turbo). More often or not they get stuck in the open position so preventing hot air getting into the intake when warming up. I tried for a long while to find some in the UK. They are easy to get in the US. I eventually got mine from Skandix in Germany. Not cheap with the p&p. The original ones were made for Bosch by another German company Whaler (don't think I quite got the spelling right!).

PS - You have to be a bit brutal getting the plastic diverter assembly part with the air thermo in it separated from the main filter box. Depress the two holding nubs and then put the whole lot gently in a vice and thump away (easily) with a wooden drift and it will start to ease out.
They should provide partly heated air to the intake at all times, opening up completely to allow just cold air under full throttle for better performance/power. On normal driving this might cause problems though, especially in colder climates - it's possible the air intake temperature sensor (if you have one)is seeing extra cold air and increasing the idle speed to compensate.

This is only guesswork though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 18:21   #33
98945lt

Have checked now and I don't have any of that parts in my car.
The Following User Says Thank You to 98945lt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 18:19   #34
98945lt

Last week I took out the speedometer in my car to check the wire that signaled to the ECU and it was connected to the correct place. Also checked the line between speedometer and ecu with ohm meter and there was contact.
At the same time, I changed the control unit of the air conditioner just to check that there is nothing wrong with it. The car was still performing as before, with high idle speed after the engine was heated a little.
And I'm still as frustrated as before .....
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 18:50   #35
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Does the engine idle as normal if you switch the air conditioning off?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 19:08   #36
98945lt

There is no difference regardless of whether ac is on or off. It was really a shot in the bottom.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 18:14   #37
98945lt

Has now observed that the needle on the speedometer suddenly falls, last 4-5 mm before zero. Is this normal and could this be a possible source of error ?? Is there a possibility that the speedometer signal to the ECU is the "wrong type" signal?
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 18:26   #38
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It's rare that there is any signal from the speedo to the ECU except in automatics and then they need to be electronically controlled autos to need a speed input so the ECU can retard the ignition timing slightly for a split second at the moment of shifting gear to make the change smoother.

Usually the only time any ECU uses a signal from the speedo is for cruise control.

Old Mar 27th, 2018, 19:14   #39
98945lt

I thougt the ecu used speedo signal for among other things like fuel cut over spesific rpm.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 19:36   #40
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Why would it use the speedo? You could be in any gear and have different rpm yet the speedo would read the same.

What it actually uses to trigger things like fuel cut-off on over-run are the signal from the coil -ve and the throttle position switch.