Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Used V60

Views : 1078

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2018, 15:04   #1
Mrs Wez

Exclamation Used V60

** help needed!!!!

We purchased a V60 2011 d3 se lux auto. We picked it up this week.

First time we headed onto the motorway it’s vibrating badly, I guess that’s balancing but it’s like a shopping trolley. All over the place. It’s only done 33k.

What’s worrying me is they put new tyres on the car at the rear. 225 45 17

But from what I can find they should be 215 50 17. Everything I can find on the car says they should be 215 50 17. On the net and the sticker on the side of the door frame.

Before I go ballistic with the main dealer we bought car from what has everyone else got on theirs.
We have the 5 spoke alloys

Please help!!!!!
Mrs Wez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 16:01   #2
Rex65

Tyres are a compatible size and you are very unlikely to get a vibration from rear tyres out of balance. Usually if it's a problem in the rear you would hear more of a rhythmic drumming sound.
Front tyres that are out of balance would give a vibration though, so best to check that first along with any failing drive shafts or CV joints.
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 16:31   #3
1monkey600

What size are the tyres on the front? I believe your car has 7" wheels which is the minimum recommended width for 225s, so OK on that front, but personally I would want to keep all 4 tyres the same size because at least you have an option to swap tyres individually between axles then, eg if you had a puncture and had one full size spare at home.

I am not sure on the rules about having different width tyres on the same axle, let alone stability of the vehicle at speed, (obviously a skinny spare is different width but then you are limited to 50mph and 50 miles max distance).

A very quick look seems to show that the 225s are quite a bit cheaper than the 215s so maybe that was why they didn't use the recommended size. Personally, especially if they were fitted brand new for the sale (ie not fitted to the car by previous owner I would ask for them to fit the correct size or at least see if they will fit same size to fronts as well.

Tyre size may not be the cause for the vibrations either but the dealer should be asked to check that out too.

Last edited by 1monkey600; Mar 18th, 2018 at 17:09. Reason: Posted accidentally before complete
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 16:33   #4
Mrs Wez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex65 View Post
Tyres are a compatible size and you are very unlikely to get a vibration from rear tyres out of balance. Usually if it's a problem in the rear you would hear more of a rhythmic drumming sound.
Front tyres that are out of balance would give a vibration though, so best to check that first along with any failing drive shafts or CV joints.
It gives 2 options
235 45 17
215 50 17.

No mention of 225 45 17.

I do expect the vibration to be balance. But steering is also off so will hope to get that sorted with 4 wheel alignment.

Now my washers won’t work either 🤬🤬🤬.
Headlamp washers do. But front and back won’t. Both were working coming back from Telford last night. This car is getting worse. Add to that low battery warning twice today
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 16:34   #5
Mrs Wez

Same as rear. 225/45/17
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 16:50   #6
HDAV
Master Member

Low battery and washers could be temp related. See another thread about dealer putting water in and them not working....

If all 4 tyres are the same (what wheels on the car?) should be ok, with that size, previous owner may have changed tyre size for some reason. Dealer probably didn’t want to change all 4 so matched the ones that were already on there...
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 17:16   #7
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Wez View Post
Same as rear. 225/45/17
I edited my previous post because of finger trouble if you want another look at it. If the fronts were already that size that is probably why the garage fitted the same at the rear.
It is not ideal but they are within range for alternative wheel/tyre fitments,
eg:
https://tiresize.com/metric-tire-conversion/
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 17:36   #8
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Does the vibration only happen at certain speeds??, if its balancing there is normally a sweet spot where the vibration goes away, I had terrible vibration on my C30 between 65-75mph when I got it, under 65 or over 75 was fine, that turned out to be badly balance front wheels, also was the vibration felt through the car or through the steering wheel, I had a similar vibration issue (not as bad) more through the car than the steering wheel and that was diagnosed as the rear wheel balancing on my V60 again balanced rear wheel problem gone.

Have to say I had the same issue when I bought my S40 T5 and that turned out to be a dented front wheel, probably similarly to used on the test drive I never got the chance to get up to motoway speeds, then as I drove home on the motorway I noticed the issue straight away, the garage were really good identified the issue and paid for a replacement wheel, re balancing and a wheel allignment.

The tyre size is not an issue as long as the the tyre are the same size on the same axle, personally I would rather have the same size tyres on all 4 corners.

Tyre sizes can be strange we have 2 V60's both came with the 18" alloys but one car has 235/45/R18, and the other had 235/50/ R18, I assume the previous owner wanted a bit more comfortable ride and changed to the 50 profile, that car did feel a bit more wallowy and less sure footed. I have since change the alloys and its gone to 235/45/R18, mind when they are due to be replace I'll probably go to 225/45 R18 as they are substantially cheaper as they are a more common size.
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 17:38   #9
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Probably not the cause, but have you checked the wheel nuts are torqued up? Never take anything for granted, dealers make mistakes. Someone a friend of mine knows recently travelled down south to pick up a BMW they had just bought that had just been serviced. On the journey home whilst on the motorway the oil light came on, upon opening the bonnet there was oil everywhere, they had forgotten to put the filler cap back on.

Last edited by MikeGMT; Mar 18th, 2018 at 18:02. Reason: Typo
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 17:48   #10
ksmi
Master Member

Default Trollied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Wez View Post
** help needed!!!!

We purchased a V60 2011 d3 se lux auto. We picked it up this week.

First time we headed onto the motorway it’s vibrating badly, I guess that’s balancing but it’s like a shopping trolley. All over the place. It’s only done 33k.

Please help!!!!!
When you say it's like a shopping trolley' do you mean the wheels are or feel like, they are flapping from side to side?
Have you checked if the wheel nuts are all tight? have you checked the tyre pressures? if the answer is yes on both,then take it back to the main dealer,sounds like it could be dangerous. Is it a Volvo dealership? You should keep your speed down, until you find what the problem is.

Regards,Keith.