Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Genuine Volvo Trailer Harness Problem.

Views : 1784

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2018, 17:42   #11
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dave View Post
"Indication Trailer" sounds interesting - what does that do?

Is it an indication (in the car) of a trailer being connected or something else?
The Volvo has a Trailer-Connected indicator on the dash already

The wiring diagram simply labels the wire on Pin 12 as RESERVE: INDICATION TRAILER

The ISO-standard for the 13p trailer connector shows the Pin 12 as "Reserved for future allocation"

The ISO standard also states for Pin 12:
Previously allocated to trailer detection in ISO 11446:2002 (the vehicle could detect it was coupled to a trailer using a link between pin 12 and pin 3 in the trailer plug). This function was removed by ISO 11446:2004 and the pin reallocated to reserved. The pin remains reserved for future allocation in ISO 11446-1:2012.

Did you know there was an ISO standard? Neither did I until now: here it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_st...tor_(ISO_11446)
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Mar 21st, 2018 at 19:50.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 18:15   #12
Chris79

Afternoon all

I have just acquired a 2098 XC90 and I’m trying to decide which Trailer electrics to buy. I need 13 pin with charging etc - does the Volvo kit need to be coded to operate?

The genuine costs seem reasonable until you factor in the work at the dealership and with no Trailer stability functionality - I’m wondering if there is any benefit.

Cheers

Chris
Chris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 18:33   #13
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris79 View Post
Afternoon all

I have just acquired a 2098 XC90 and I’m trying to decide which Trailer electrics to buy. I need 13 pin with charging etc - does the Volvo kit need to be coded to operate?

The genuine costs seem reasonable until you factor in the work at the dealership and with no Trailer stability functionality - I’m wondering if there is any benefit.

Cheers

Chris

Your name isn't Michael J Fox by any chance ?

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 18:40   #14
Chris79

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Your name isn't Michael J Fox by any chance ?
Haha! Not sure what you lot are messing around at!

Anyway - 2008 model. Question still stand although in regards to an old one not a future model!!

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris79 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 19:54   #15
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:

The trailer module will

1. Light the <-> lamp on the dash when turn signals are on and trailer connected. This is the "You have a trailer connected" indicator
2. Disable the rear parking sensors when the trailer is connected so they don't drive you crazy when reversing with the trailer
3. Disable the rear fog lamp when the trailer is connected (but still illuminate the fog lamp on the trailer) (Volvo coding required) (Required in some countries)
4. Is provided completely plug and play prepared, no cutting or joining of wires necessary
5. Is completely documented in the Volvo wiring diagram
6. Is backed with a global spare parts logistics organisation

And it costs, so I am told, very nearly the same price as a standard trailer wiring "box", so why wouldn't you go original Volvo?
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 20:48   #16
Chris79

Excellent info - so the coding will only sort the fog light out? And the rest works out of the box?

The prices I’ve had - “coded” the Volvo part is £100 more than a plug and play vehicle specific unit. Coding adds £91 + vat
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 21:25   #17
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

I totally agree with Swiss - I fitted my own (non Volvo) detachable towbar and installed my own (Volvo) electrics - piece of cake to do both and electrics are cheaper than some so-called "model specific" generic aftermarket kit.

The Volvo gear is truly plug and play.

Edit - Not sure what you mean by "trailer stability functionality"??

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by Harley Dave; Mar 21st, 2018 at 21:27. Reason: Question
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 21:41   #18
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Some cars like the BMW X5 adapt their dynamic stability control software to different parameters when towing a trailer, to provide for enhanced stability.

The Volvo XC90 does not.

Which I guess means it is good enough without knowing if a trailer is connected or not....
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 21:52   #19
Chris79

Quote:
I totally agree with Swiss - I fitted my own (non Volvo) detachable towbar and installed my own (Volvo) electrics - piece of cake to do both and electrics are cheaper than some so-called "model specific" generic aftermarket kit.

The Volvo gear is truly plug and play.

Cheers

Dave
Thanks Dave.

Do you have 13 pin electrics? If so do you get charging for a caravan?

What year is your XC90?

Chris
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 05:08   #20
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Do you have 13 pin electrics? If so do you get charging for a caravan?

What year is your XC90?
I'm not Dave and I don't have a caravan but I do have 13 pin trailer socket fully wired with permanent and switch 12V to the socket, so you can power whatever you want in the trailer / caravan

It's part of the 13 pin wiring standard.
Volvo adhers to the standard, so charging a caravan WILL work.