Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I need help removing the distributor cap !!!!

Views : 839

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2018, 15:13   #1
billabos

Default I need help removing the distributor cap !!!!

Hi,

I have a 940 B200FT and I suspect the distributor cap and rotor are starting to go.

My engine appears to be slightly different from the guides I found online as there is a hose that goes into the bulkhead that happens to be right in the way of one of the bolts that attaches the Cap to the head.

Does anyone have any experience changing the cap with one of these hoses in the way ? I just want to know if it is really necessary to disconnect this hose and whether there perhaps a tool like a short 8mm ratchet with a foldy end that might make this task slightly easier.

Thanks !
billabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 15:52   #2
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

A decent 1/4" drive ratchet with an 8mm socket should fit, but you'll spend a lot of time slackening off the bolt. If you have, or can beg/steal/borrow an 8mm ratchet spanner and get it onto the bolt it'll be easier and slightly quicker. A short, non-ratchet spanner will work but take forever.

Unfortunately the "engineers" responsible for the design didn't allow for the engine's longitudinal installation in the 900-series; it would have been fine in a transverse-engined vehicle to mount the distributor off the end of the camshaft.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 16:23   #3
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Spanner

I have a 940 LPT which is probably a bit different as it does not have a hose near the distributor cap, but removing the cap is not too difficult. I use a normal 8 mm spanner to slacken the bolts. With a bit of wiggling of the cap I can take the load of the bolts and undo them with my fingers. Don't worry about dropping them, there is a kind of retaining ring to keep them from falling when loose.
Do be careful when putting the cap back on. It is quite easy to miss one of the slots, especially with that black cover on. I have spend a long time searching for misfiring during rain, thinking my dizzy cap could not be the culprit as it was brand new!
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 16:34   #4
Rumbo
Time Traveller

Lots of swearing and sore hands,it’ll come....Slowly 😳
Rumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rumbo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 18:51   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

What you need is a Skewdriver :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skewdrive...YAAOSwZQxW6DQO

Then use a 1/4"hex to 1/4" square drive adaptor, put the 8mm socket on the end and you're sorted. You need to do the initial loosening with a spanner (just crack the thread) and final tightening with a spanner so you don't potentially overload the ratchet and gear mechanisms.

I've used one of those and also a small 1/4" drive ratchet (it was a Snap-On so had quite small teeth/ratchet increments, made it easy!) in the past.

Vauxhall had the same problem when they turned the Family II engines (think 8v Astra, Cavalier etc) round to drive the rear wheels in the Mk2 Carlton except the bulkhead was even closer.

They added a bracket on the cam cover and mounted the distributor with the cap facing forward - nice and easy to get to - with a small toothed belt (think cam belt in miniature) driving the dizzy off the back end of the cam.

Shame Volvo didn't do similar with the B2x0 engines!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 08:39   #6
Bigfella666
Premier Member

And if will put you in good stead if you ever buy an 850 / V70 and decide to change the cambelt tensioner roller - it is all about the tools dear boy, all about the tools - and precisely the right ones, no room for manoeuvre!
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 09:44   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
And if will put you in good stead if you ever buy an 850 / V70 and decide to change the cambelt tensioner roller - it is all about the tools dear boy, all about the tools - and precisely the right ones, no room for manoeuvre!
I can't comment on the 850/V70 but there are plenty of things on the 7xx range that need slightly unusual tools to do the job. Not quite "Special Service Tools" just normal tools that are a bit out of the ordinary.
We can all go and buy a standard socket set, set of Allen keys etc but i had a couple of missing/loose exhaust manifold nuts on my 760 and the only way to get them tight was with a 1/4" drive deep 11mm socket, something i didn't have.

I do now and also bought a 3/8" drive deep 11mm in case i could squeeze the 3/8" ratchet in instead of the 1/4" but there wasn't the room and the socket was too fat to fit the nuts.

It had to be the 1/4" drive version.

Volvos are better than most for needing "unusual" tools, try something French then you'll really struggle!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 10:02   #8
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

I have a set of the Halfords Pro ratchet spanner’s and they are amazing, great quality and SO useful. One broke and I took it back to Halfords and they replaced it within seconds without a receipt, great service. They made changing the dizzy cap so easy I was wondering what all the fuss was about.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 10:24   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post
I have a set of the Halfords Pro ratchet spanner’s and they are amazing, great quality and SO useful. One broke and I took it back to Halfords and they replaced it within seconds without a receipt, great service. They made changing the dizzy cap so easy I was wondering what all the fuss was about.
That's the point i was making - for those of us that have invested in extra tools over and above the normal sockets, spanners etc, things like this are easy.

For someone starting out without the benefit of many years of tool collecting, it's not so easy!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 11:35   #10
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Scoobs

And yes - precisely the point I am making too !

One of the joys of this forum is others benefit from our lengthy attempts to carry out tasks without the required tools !

Hope you 😊
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post: