Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S90 Infotainment Query

Views : 2019

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 18:09   #1
etsandy

Default S90 Infotainment Query

Afternoon All!

I am due to pick up my 17 plate S90 R-Design in the next week or so from a remote dealership (was a very good deal!) I looked round the car and loved it and had a test drive and equally enjoyed it. What I missed to check on my test drive was availability of Android Auto. As far as i'm aware it does not have any optional extras (it does have its own hotspot, is that an extra?). What I am asking is, is it likely to have Android Auto available? So sites/manuals imply it as standard others as an optional. Its a ford dealership so when asked over the phone they where very unsure.

If its not available, is this a retro fit/update? and if so how much would this normaly be?

Failing this does the integrated system have an audible app? I see spotify, but I'm an avid audio book fan.

Many thanks for your help in advance!
etsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 18:32   #2
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Android auto / Apple CarPlay can be added later. It’s a software update. Think it’s the same cost as having it factory fitted I.e £300.
The only thing you don’t get is the extra USB port which comes with the factory fitted version.
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 18:39   #3
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterdesign View Post
Android auto / Apple CarPlay can be added later. It’s a software update. Think it’s the same cost as having it factory fitted I.e £300.
The only thing you don’t get is the extra USB port which comes with the factory fitted version.
Are you sure about that? I enquired some time last year and dealer said it was not possible, although I also enquired about an extra USB port linked to the infotainment system and could have got the answers mixed up.

Its ridiculous that AA and ACP are not standard on a high end car like this anyhow, along with two USB and USB-C ports in front and another two pairs for every seat row. These are all fitted to pretty ordinary cars these days as standard.

Last edited by Quacker; Mar 23rd, 2018 at 18:42.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 19:12   #4
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Yep I am see https://accessories.volvocars.com/en.../all/all/R.H.D
In fact it looks like you can have the second USB port installed as well.
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 21:32   #5
Jcbrown

It is still listed on the Accessories page for £300 here. It also states
Quote:
After market's CarPlay does not contain factory solution's USB hub.
SO whilst 2nd USB might be available, it looks like it does not come as part of AA/ACP - though maybe the details ae just out of date.

I paid the £300 for AA/ACP as a dealer fit on my 1st S90. However, the dealer could not get it to work in the 10 days I had that car. My current S90 has AA/ACP as factory fit (so 2 USB) and it does work.

To be honest, there are a number of people on here, me being one, who have AA/ACP and do not use it, nor think it is worth the money. check out this recent thread for example.

For me - If it was free/included the ok. But would not pay for it again (at least with it current functionality). Others will have different views of course.

Would suggest you get used to the car, then think about AA/ACP after a few weeks.

But whatever you do - Enjoy the car when you get it. Still love mine 12 months in, even with the issues I have had

Last edited by Jcbrown; Mar 23rd, 2018 at 21:37.
Jcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jcbrown For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 05:37   #6
reggie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbrown View Post
It is still listed on the Accessories page for £300 here. It also states

SO whilst 2nd USB might be available, it looks like it does not come as part of AA/ACP - though maybe the details ae just out of date.

I paid the £300 for AA/ACP as a dealer fit on my 1st S90. However, the dealer could not get it to work in the 10 days I had that car. My current S90 has AA/ACP as factory fit (so 2 USB) and it does work.

To be honest, there are a number of people on here, me being one, who have AA/ACP and do not use it, nor think it is worth the money. check out this recent thread for example.

For me - If it was free/included the ok. But would not pay for it again (at least with it current functionality). Others will have different views of course.

Would suggest you get used to the car, then think about AA/ACP after a few weeks.

But whatever you do - Enjoy the car when you get it. Still love mine 12 months in, even with the issues I have had
I have not used android auto in a Volvo but had an insignia on holiday latest model and it had it so tried it. It was sh.it. I thought AA was a full mirror of your phone... In fact, you only get a.couple of apps.. in that case maps and Spotify. Maps keeps freezing. If it as bad in Volvo, not doubt no one uses it.
reggie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reggie59 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 07:49   #7
etsandy

Thanks for the reply guys! £300 is steep for a software update! How is the intigrated system? Is the Spotify app any good and is their audible apps available??
etsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 08:01   #8
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsandy View Post
Thanks for the reply guys! £300 is steep for a software update! How is the intigrated system? Is the Spotify app any good and is their audible apps available??
I use the integrated Sensus Spotify app all the time, and it works fine for me.
+ It is integrated, and just works. You do need a Spotify Premium/Family account though, it does not work with the free version
+ Even with my older 3G modem it works pretty well. Buffers occasionally, but not a problem. It has been a problem on occasions. But that has just been poor signal or resolved by an App update
- Cannot use voice to search as you can with AA version
- I find the screen sensitivity odd when in Spotify. Must be the App, as fine in everything else

There is not an integrated Audible App. I am currently using Audible on AA to finish my 2 free Audible books. Once finished I will just go back to getting audiobooks from the local library.
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 08:01   #9
gaby
Premier Member

Android Auto was a standard feature in our MY2018. I only used it for a short while.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 12:27   #10
Trifid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Android Auto was a standard feature in our MY2018. I only used it for a short while.
My 1 week old S90 doesn't appear to have it...
Trifid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
s90, sensus