Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Easy to Fix??

Views : 1168

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 10:14   #1
rob

Hi, I'm new to this forum and Volvo cars!

I've recently bought a 1991 1.7 340 GL, after a miserable year owning 3 Fords, all of which ended up at the breakers yard!!

I have to say that I'm converted.... this car is the best car for £500 that I could ever have bought. (Full main dealer service history too... with only one other owner!)

The car is in exceptional condition, apart from a near side dent.... however... I am experiencing a problem with it.

After looking through this forum I found a thread posted in september of this year stating a similar problem... a rattle when the car is started that dissapears when the clutch is depressed. This thread was repied too and it said that it could be that the couplings on the propshaft had come loose (a common problem apparently?).

My question is..... is this a difficult thing to fix?

I'm no car mechanic, but also not scared to have a go at a few repairs myself.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers...

- Rob -
Old Oct 29th, 2002, 21:19   #2
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Default RE: Easy to Fix??

Yeah its easy. Jack the car up and find the propshaft underneath the car. It runs from the clutch housing at the front to the g/box at the back.

Find the clips at each end and tighten to 35Nm (I think) The bolts are 6mm allen keys. Use a good quality key in mint condition, and be careful not to round off the nuts otherwise you'll have a job getting them off if you need to change the clutch.

Hope that helps and apologies if I sound patronising. Never sure how to pitch advice :)

Andy
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2002, 23:28   #3
sheerwater
Master Member

If the rattle is in tune with engine revs and disappears when engiine revs up this was a common Volvo problem. Our 340 rattled like a bag of nails from new and sounded terrible. Volvo then put a different oil into the gearbox and the rattle vanished. I believe the oil was synthetic of some sort as opposed to the ATF that was the norm for these gearboxes. The rattle was caused by the layshaft rattling at low revs due to thin oil. Cheers Nige
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2002, 17:36   #4
srtames

If the noise is a loose rattle and ceases with touching the clutch lightly, its probably the clutch release forks worn and is a common fault and can go on for thousands of miles like that. If its very bad , you may need a new clutch release bearing which means dismantling the clutch housing .

regards,Steve

srtames is offline   Reply With Quote