Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Key Fob Battery Life

Views : 4607

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 13:57   #31
Weejada77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Mocking those with learning difficulties in not the done thing
Brigand, are you implying that I was mocking those with learning difficulties? As if you were, I would appreciate it if you would read my post! There is no suggestion or hint of what you may be suggesting!

Whereas, if you are mocking me, for having learning difficulties, then that would NOT be the done thing! Mock me for being silly and making a mistake but do not imply learning difficulties or the likes!

Offence very much taken by your ambiguous statement!!!

V50 2.0D Manual 2004 (December) 54 Plate
Weejada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 15:47   #32
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Hi Weejada77, I didn't get Brigand's comment, and I certainly didn't think anything in your post was out of order, to me it just read like an admission that the obvious was overlooked.

What turned out to be the problem never occurred to me, I didn't think you would be able to fit the wrong battery. We all live and learn.

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for letting everyone know, or should that be fingers crossed you got it sorted?
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 15:58   #33
mf70

I was getting ready to point out that the only common site in this problem was the receiver in the car.

Thanks for letting us know the resolution. It's also VERY lucky you hit on it before you bought and PROGRAMMED$$$$ a new remote!

My 2006 Volvo manual says:

Quote:
If the locks repeatedly fail to respond to signals from the remote control at a normal distance, the battery should be replaced (type CR 2032, 3 V).
Hmmm. Hey: whatever works! Let's see how long the alternate size lasts. If you find the trouble recurs, you may want to have a peek "inside" the car's systems with DiCE / VIDA. There are a number of possible trouble codes related to poor remote comms. The receiving antenna (RRX) is on top of the DIM.

VIDA says:
Quote:
Remote key includes an internal battery. When the battery in the remote key runs down a message is shown on the driver information module (DIM). Another indication that the remote key's battery is running down is a reduction in the remote key's range.

The remote key must be within a radius of 20 m from the vehicle's Remote Receiver Module (RRX).
If the function fails when [only] one of the remote keys is used, the fault probably lies with the individual remote key.
Did you ever see a message on the DIM?
mf70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 16:23   #34
Weejada77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Lincs View Post
Hi Weejada77, I didn't get Brigand's comment, and I certainly didn't think anything in your post was out of order, to me it just read like an admission that the obvious was overlooked.

What turned out to be the problem never occurred to me, I didn't think you would be able to fit the wrong battery. We all live and learn.

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for letting everyone know, or should that be fingers crossed you got it sorted?
Thanks Missing Lincs. It was simply an admission of missing the obvious. Anyway! The only difference between the two batteries is the depth or thickness of them. Same voltage and other dimensions. So I guess it figures that both sizes fit but the thicker one makes a constant connection.

Oh well, all's well that ends well! Thanks for taking the time to help and suggest solutions to me. It has been very much appreciated.

Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 16:25   #35
Weejada77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf70 View Post
I was getting ready to point out that the only common site in this problem was the receiver in the car.

Thanks for letting us know the resolution. It's also VERY lucky you hit on it before you bought and PROGRAMMED$$$$ a new remote!

My 2006 Volvo manual says:

Hmmm. Hey: whatever works! Let's see how long the alternate size lasts. If you find the trouble recurs, you may want to have a peek "inside" the car's systems with DiCE / VIDA. There are a number of possible trouble codes related to poor remote comms. The receiving antenna (RRX) is on top of the DIM.

VIDA says:

Did you ever see a message on the DIM?
Yeah, every time the battery was about to chuck it I got the "Remote Battery Low" message on the DIM.

Thanks.

Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 16:40   #36
Brigand
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weejada77 View Post
Brigand, are you implying that I was mocking those with learning difficulties? As if you were, I would appreciate it if you would read my post! There is no suggestion or hint of what you may be suggesting!

Whereas, if you are mocking me, for having learning difficulties, then that would NOT be the done thing! Mock me for being silly and making a mistake but do not imply learning difficulties or the likes!

Offence very much taken by your ambiguous statement!!!

Take a chill pill you drama queen.... you said ,...let the slagging commence... I replied in jest, grow up ffs
Brigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 09:19   #37
Weejada77

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Take a chill pill you drama queen.... you said ,...let the slagging commence... I replied in jest, grow up ffs
Fair play. No offence taken then. As your comment was ambiguous it was difficult do discern what you meant.

No harm done, and I hope that the member status saying that you have been banned is a joke.

Oh, and when you want to quote someone we use "quotation marks" when writing in the English language. Not ........lots of full stops at either side of the comment being quoted! I learned that whilst "growing up" in school!!!

Old Jul 8th, 2014, 09:16   #38
Weejada77

UPDATE! The smaller 2025 batteries have now ALSO ran out of juice! So the problem still haunts me!!

Really thought I had sorted the issue!

Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 00:06   #39
Jiffy1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weejada77 View Post
UPDATE! The smaller 2025 batteries have now ALSO ran out of juice! So the problem still haunts me!!

Really thought I had sorted the issue!
I have the same issue with one of my keys on my 2007 '57 plate v50, mines the later type fob with the MASSIVE battery. One fob was inop when i bought the car, so replaced the batteries in both fobs with duracells, my main fob still works fine after 4 months (although the range isnt brilliant, even when batts were new), but the spare died after about a week! Pretty damn Annoying!
Jiffy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote