Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 839150

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 10:02   #1331
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
This one is a bit rough around the edges, but I quite like it. The seller says the motor was changed for a later 2 litre, so I'm guessing it has FI. Personally I think that is a pity, but some may like that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185175642...EAAOSwoYRhmTpF

The motor car is spoiled by being LHD.

What will it make - well it would be a middling car, so about £2,500, but it is registered as an historic vehicle, so 50-100% more. I think it might make £5,000 with a fair wind.

:-)
There are a few clues in the listing, the engine was originally a B21 as if you zoom in on the front wing badges, you can just about make out "242DL 2.1" and the DVLA would have issued an age-related plate making it a 1975/6 car - the lights, mirrors etc are right for that sort of year as well.
I daresay the Torlanda alloys came from the same car as the donor engine which is probably running on the original carb even if it started as a B200E (K-Jet) or maybe B200F (LH2.4 Jetronic) but would have been useful to include an underbonnet shot of the engine.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 12:07   #1332
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
... the nasty brown car has appeared for sale yet again:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1386803

... we first noticed this motor car on eBay at £4,000 in January this year. Since then the same has been variously marketed on eBay and C&C, in its latest incarnation the asking price is down to £2,500 ONO.

The seller has done nothing to it - the motor car still has a rusty hole where the boot floor should be.

I still think it is worth less than a grand.

:-)
The nasty brown car (the Turdis?) is still for sale and down to a mere £2,250.

Form an orderly queue now... :-)
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 12:29   #1333
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The nasty brown car (the Turdis?) is still for sale and down to a mere £2,250.

Form an orderly queue now... :-)

If the decimal point was in a more sensible position i might be tempted if i had the room, money and time to take it on but at present the DP is too (two? ) far right.................

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Nov 22nd, 2021 at 12:30. Reason: speeling
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 12:46   #1334
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

If the decimal point was in a more sensible position i might be tempted if i had the room, money and time to take it on but at present the DP is too (two? ) far right.................
I was just thinking this over and have concluded the numbers just could not be made to work. It is effectively a non-runner, so it would need collecting from Chesterfield by trailer (90 miles away) - and even if I managed to get it here it would be a huge risk. The seller says he/she has not looked underneath (somewhat unlikely in a year or so - that probably means a heap of rust) and everything would need recommissioning or replacing.

The motor car's only real saving grace would be it is already old enough to be registered as an historic vehicle. If it was (say) a 1985 model, a non-runner with no MoT and known problems it would be worth £500-£800. Even if the historic vehicle premium is 100% that only makes it worth something like £1,000 to £1,600.

The seller says the Turdis owes him/her more than the £2,250 he/she is asking; these things happen on a big ship.

Alan
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 13:14   #1335
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I was just thinking this over and have concluded the numbers just could not be made to work. It is effectively a non-runner, so it would need collecting from Chesterfield by trailer (90 miles away) - and even if I managed to get it here it would be a huge risk. The seller says he/she has not looked underneath (somewhat unlikely in a year or so - that probably means a heap of rust) and everything would need recommissioning or replacing.

The motor car's only real saving grace would be it is already old enough to be registered as an historic vehicle. If it was (say) a 1985 model, a non-runner with no MoT and known problems it would be worth £500-£800. Even if the historic vehicle premium is 100% that only makes it worth something like £1,000 to £1,600.

The seller says the Turdis owes him/her more than the £2,250 he/she is asking; these things happen on a big ship.

Alan
Have you got a link please Alan to refresh my memory? I can't find it on fleabay............

Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 13:15   #1336
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:

Alan
Alas the market is not interested in how much the car owes him!

It'll be doing the rounds a bit ,I dare say! 😐
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 13:18   #1337
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Have you got a link please Alan to refresh my memory? I can't find it on fleabay............
C&C Dave:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1386803
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 13:30   #1338
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
There are a few clues in the listing, the engine was originally a B21 as if you zoom in on the front wing badges, you can just about make out "242DL 2.1" and the DVLA would have issued an age-related plate making it a 1975/6 car - the lights, mirrors etc are right for that sort of year as well.
I daresay the Torlanda alloys came from the same car as the donor engine which is probably running on the original carb even if it started as a B200E (K-Jet) or maybe B200F (LH2.4 Jetronic) but would have been useful to include an underbonnet shot of the engine.
I have the answer in full (I asked the seller - a very helpful chap):

The motor car had a B21a motor originally, the seller put in a B200 motor with the carburettor and distributor from the B21a - plus an electric fuel pump.

The motor car came from Northern Sweden (imported by the seller).

It sounds pretty genuine, but its demerits are: not at all original, LHD, speedometer in km (200,000 km), 2 door. When I compare the 242 to the RB (more original, RHD, UK car, 110,000 miles, 4 door) in order to put its value in perspective it isn't so attractive a package. My heart says it might make £5,000, but my head says £3,000.

I still like the motor car though, and at £3,000 it would be nice for someone.

Alan
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 13:31   #1339
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Alan, explains why i couldn't find it on the bay! I'd forgotten how rough it was to be honest, that boot floor is rotten where it joins the chassis from the look of things which in turn suggests the chassis is as roten as a 9-day old curry.

It will be a labour of love for anybody unless they have a near-pristine 244 (in the same colour would be a bonus) that's had a front end shunt and they can cut off the repair panels for the back end or use the front end panels from this to revive their crunched 240.

I'd also forgotten it's a DL model so more or less entry level, while they hold some appeal to some drivers, entry level models aren't usually the sought-after examples that command a premium even when non-runners.
On the upside that also means less to fix (eg reluctant electric widows) so has some benefits but the interior isn't exactly immaculate and not commensurate with fair wear and tear even at 41 years old.

For what he's asking, you could pick up an MoT'd runner with fewer cosmetic challenges and a sound body. As it stands, it's either a spares mule or a very brave (and expensive) restoration with no hope of a profit anywhere down the line, probably not even break even so the restorer would have to be certain they'd want it for another 40 years to make it worth their while.

Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 13:34   #1340
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Alan, explains why i couldn't find it on the bay! I'd forgotten how rough it was to be honest, that boot floor is rotten where it joins the chassis from the look of things which in turn suggests the chassis is as roten as a 9-day old curry.

It will be a labour of love for anybody unless they have a near-pristine 244 (in the same colour would be a bonus) that's had a front end shunt and they can cut off the repair panels for the back end or use the front end panels from this to revive their crunched 240.

I'd also forgotten it's a DL model so more or less entry level, while they hold some appeal to some drivers, entry level models aren't usually the sought-after examples that command a premium even when non-runners.
On the upside that also means less to fix (eg reluctant electric widows) so has some benefits but the interior isn't exactly immaculate and not commensurate with fair wear and tear even at 41 years old.

For what he's asking, you could pick up an MoT'd runner with fewer cosmetic challenges and a sound body. As it stands, it's either a spares mule or a very brave (and expensive) restoration with no hope of a profit anywhere down the line, probably not even break even so the restorer would have to be certain they'd want it for another 40 years to make it worth their while.
I agree with that assessment Dave, it is exactly the conclusion I'd come to.

... time for Bob's second walk :-)

Alan