Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 839965

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 14:02   #1341
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I have the answer in full (I asked the seller - a very helpful chap):

The motor car had a B21a motor originally, the seller put in a B200 motor with the carburettor and distributor from the B21a - plus an electric fuel pump.

The motor car came from Northern Sweden (imported by the seller).

It sounds pretty genuine, but its demerits are: not at all original, LHD, speedometer in km (200,000 km), 2 door. When I compare the 242 to the RB (more original, RHD, UK car, 110,000 miles, 4 door) in order to put its value in perspective it isn't so attractive a package. My heart says it might make £5,000, but my head says £3,000.

I still like the motor car though, and at £3,000 it would be nice for someone.

Alan
My guesses weren't too far out then on the engine etc. At 200,000km, that's ~120k miles so not wildly different to the RB although it's ~5 years older. The 242 wasn't offered in UK spec (the 142 was but are still rare so is suspect Volvo didn't offer UK 242s) so LHD is probably the only option if someone wants a 242. There was a 262C with a Bertone "roof-chop" which resulted in "gun-turret" styling of the roof so if someone wanted a RHD 200 series, the 262 would be an option.

Someone will love it, maybe not £5k love it or even £3k love it but we'll have to see on the bidding.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 14:53   #1342
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Throwing a curved ball into the mix :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334165887412

Early 164 auto in very nice condition - no "Injection" or "GLE" badges suggest it's the twin carb model. Not cheap but a better "spend" of the money than the £2250 of the Turbmobile!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 16:19   #1343
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
My guesses weren't too far out then on the engine etc. At 200,000km, that's ~120k miles so not wildly different to the RB although it's ~5 years older. The 242 wasn't offered in UK spec (the 142 was but are still rare so is suspect Volvo didn't offer UK 242s) so LHD is probably the only option if someone wants a 242. There was a 262C with a Bertone "roof-chop" which resulted in "gun-turret" styling of the roof so if someone wanted a RHD 200 series, the 262 would be an option.

Someone will love it, maybe not £5k love it or even £3k love it but we'll have to see on the bidding.
The problem with selling a motor car like that 242 will be the market is tiny - probably a few tens of people in the country that might be interested. If a couple of keen bidders just happened to see it then I like to think it might make £5000, but on reflection that might be wishful thinking; £3,000 is much more realistic.

:-)
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 16:29   #1344
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:

Early 164 auto in very nice condition - no "Injection" or "GLE" badges suggest it's the twin carb model. Not cheap but a better "spend" of the money than the £2250 of the Turbmobile!
Oooooh! Like it! Very sweet!😋

AND-ROOOO'S!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 12:06   #1345
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default This is a 262

Loki, I see it as a 262. So perhaps sought after. It might be one of the 200 series cars that deserve a really good price. I think some values pontificated in this thread are silly high. The 200 series is not THAT special. The little I know re the original engine was not always the best, but the seller has that engine. Someone might be well pleased to get that engine sorted.

It would deserve a thorough inspection. Independent and objective. Particularly because like so many seriously old cars, it has no recent MOT history. and anyone considering price should see the "rarity" as a plus factor, see the historic status as something government might well at least modify in future depending on vehicle tax issues which are likely to be reviewed with increasing numbers of electric &c vehicles. And depending if eg insurance data raises concerns about MOT exemption. I am well aware a member threw their toys out of the pram re this aspect. If they disagree with my careful observations, I defend their right to explain their opinion.

The car is somewhere between unusual and rare?

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 12:21   #1346
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Lightbulb

Quote:

A 164 auto would put my pension fund in danger of being depleted a bit ... if I actually drove enough to bovver ...

The 262 will appeal to other people.

Ultimately it is what the buyer wants to buy.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 15:35   #1347
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
... this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324890858...0AAOSwmCthlZxY ?

So, the motor car only made £1,427 last time round (assuming that was not shill bidding), nothing has happened to it since but the starting price is now £1,800. It still looks as rough as a badger's arse.

Sometimes I struggle to understand.

Alan
The Holt car got just one bid at the opening price (£1,800) - or did it I wonder? :-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Nov 23rd, 2021 at 17:45.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 15:37   #1348
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Now this is a really rough car, and the seller can't spell:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133938487...0AAOSwg-5hlmDO

... I think this one will struggle to make a grand.
... and this rough old motor car made £799 at auction (although someone bidding £x99 is always a bit suspicious).

Old Nov 28th, 2021, 06:21   #1349
Othen
Premier Member

Default Seriously?!!!!

This one really is a Seriously?!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265424936...UAAOSwkoVhokW1

330,000 miles, full of rust and no MoT and an abysmal MoT history... but the seller is still looking for 2 grand for this £600 motor car!

Some people :-)
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 06:39   #1350
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Right on cue I saw this motor car advertised that illustrates your point perfectly Dave:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403174450....c101198.m1985

So, in the seller's own words: 'Volvo 240 GLT estate 1984, Silver. Petrol, Automatic, Full leather interior. 102,005 miles on the clock. In relative good condition been parked up in a garage over 15 years.

The engine lights came on , but couldn’t start it as no battery, was in working condition when parked up 15 years ago. It has a slight dent on the drivers side, otherwise in relative good condition, just need a good cleaning etc.

The car is parked in a garage at a farm in Bromsgrove the buyer will need to arrange his own pick up'

... and all for only £5,000!

Anyone that paid £5,000 for a 37 year old motor car that had been parked up on a farm for 15 years, had not been re-commissioned, with no MoT or history and as a non runner must have been overdosing on the wacky baccy!

Some good news though, if this one sells for £5,000 then the RB will be worth £10,000!

PS. It just needs a good clean... a weekend's work I should think.

PPS. Back in 2006 it failed a MoT with these faults:

25 July 2006
FAIL
Mileage
99,775 miles
Reason(s) for failure
Nearside Headlamp aim too low when the centre of the headlamp is below 850mm from the ground (1.6.B2)
Offside Headlamp aim too low when the centre of the headlamp is below 850mm from the ground (1.6.B2)
Nearside Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.5c)
Nearside Front Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded (5.2.6)
Rear Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)

... it managed to pass when re-tested the same day, so the rusty floor has probably fixed itself in the past 15 years :-).
... that was from 21 September.

Quote:
... so here it is again at £3,000:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403246489...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

... it is advertised until 13 November. If the seller reduces the asking price by another £2,000 when it is next advertised it may well find a buyer :-).
Quote:
I wonder where people have got the idea from that 'barn finds' are so valuable. I try to imagine a scenario where a chap comes across something that is only about 30 years old, hasn't been run for a decade, has no title and no provenance, and his/her first thought is 'someone will be stupid enough to pay me £5,000 for this'... we see it a lot.
... so this one has just re-appeared again (the last time was at the end of October):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265424936...UAAOSwkoVhokW1

... it started off at £5,000 (guffaw, guffaw), then worked its way down to £3,000 (chortle, chortle) and now appears at £2,000 or offers.

The seller still hasn't done anything to it, the motor car is still sitting in a shed on a farm, doesn't run, no V5, no MoT... and still worth £600 of anybody's money :-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Nov 28th, 2021 at 07:38.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: