Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 841065

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2021, 12:50   #1381
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
Looks bit scruffy to me, looks like it needs a full paint job at least and a tidy up, then one turns their attention to the mechanical side which could swallow a chunk of cash also.
In fact the more I look at it the more I think its quite a scruffy thing that would swallow a lot of money to make mint.

For me, I'd say if this is typical evidence of what is out there then I wasn't far off with 15k euro for a minter, this certainly isn't that and wants to trade at 9k euro.

On another note:
It may not be original, I know the market is going crazy for original cars even poverty spec originals with dog slow engines.
Gone are the days of upgraded engines, the market will buy this sort of stuff then turn it back to how it left the factory, but...
If its on the money, for example for me with a spare 230FT and auto gearbox laying around doing nothing, I'd happily drop it in a GT for a bit of extra fun keeping the original motor as spare in case I needed to move it on to an anorak, a 200hp GT running on E85 at 70 cents per litre for make a great fun car for touring Europe, I would do that in heartbeat.
I think we will have to agree to disagree about the Dutch motor car - I don't think it is scruffy at all and there is no evidence that it needs mechanical work. It is a low mileage motor car that Dave reminds us is a Jubilee edition. Now, whether it is worth nearly £9,000 is another matter, even as a special edition I think that is high - but being old enough to qualify as an historic vehicle (in the UK) does (as we have discovered) tend to add around 75% to the price - I rather suspect that is why the Dutch dealer is marketing the motor car here.

On your other note: the whole point of older cars is nostalgia - which means originality - no one will feel nostalgic about something that didn't exist back in the day. We have seen a number of warmed up 244s on this thread which have sold for considerably less than original motor cars would have. If people want warmed up cars then getting some undercar lighting and a cocoa tin tailpipe for their 12 year old Ford Focus ST is a better way to go.

Alan

PS. Here is an example of a warmed up 244 we saw a while ago that made no more than a standard one would have - even though the seller had spent a fortune on it:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=929

Last edited by Othen; Dec 1st, 2021 at 12:59.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 16:42   #1382
chris s

Hello chaps,

The NL car is a 242GT!
Pretty rare! I've only seen one over here, that was at Cumbers Garage, I think back in the '90s.
I believe the Australians are quite into them, they'd have the steering wheel in the right place too.
(In fact 30 secs on Google found one over there for $19000).

Cheers,
Chris
chris s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris s For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 17:22   #1383
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
Hello chaps,

The NL car is a 242GT!
Pretty rare! I've only seen one over here, that was at Cumbers Garage, I think back in the '90s.
I believe the Australians are quite into them, they'd have the steering wheel in the right place too.
(In fact 30 secs on Google found one over there for $19000).

Cheers,
Chris
I noticed it was the 242GT Chris, hence the K-Jetronic engine (B21 or 23E) with what appears to be an overdrive gearknob.
However it is also in the livery of the Jubilee models with the silver paint, Exacton(?) alloys and brown/orange stripes.
Whichever way you look at it, a rare beastie!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 18:46   #1384
kiloran

Also, a 242GT which somehow miraculously survived 1980s Beirut if the seller is to be believed!
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 20:38   #1385
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... the bidding is going up much more slowly this time, perhaps the world is becoming bored with 'one of the best, if not the best examples of a classic Volvo 240' every week... or perhaps the seller is just making the shill bidding less obvious?
The Bolton chap’s 240 only made £4,800 this time - not reaching its reserve - quelle surprise. I don’t suppose it matters.

Alan
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 05:07   #1386
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Also, a 242GT which somehow miraculously survived 1980s Beirut if the seller is to be believed!
If that is correct than it is remarkable that there aren't any bullet holes or petrol bomb scorches. I had cause to go to the Lebanon several times between 1987 and 1990, it was pretty rough old place in those days!

:-)
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 05:32   #1387
Othen
Premier Member

Default Infamous Redblock engine!

This old bus is interesting, the seller describes it as having the 'Infamous Redblock engine'... I rather suspect that was not exactly what he/she meant :-)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133946122...53.m1438.l2649

... anyway, it doesn't seem to have affected the bidding, it is up to £3,220 already with a day of the auction to go. This one is a bit rough around the edges (220,000 miles, 10 owners, bit of rust, lots of cosmetic issues) so I'd have put it at no more than £3,000 - but monitoring the market is what this thread is all about so perhaps prices are strengthening a bit?

Alan

PS. This auction has an interesting pattern of bids: 52 bids from 5 different bidders and it has gone up in very small increments. It looks like just two bidders are interested in that only they have taken it on from £1,900 - but I suppose just two interested bidders is all an auction needs to achieve a good price.

Last edited by Othen; Dec 2nd, 2021 at 07:11.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 05:37   #1388
Othen
Premier Member

The seller has decided to start this auction high at £3,000:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224718778...53.m1438.l2649

I'd have thought that should be the ending bid rather than the start, so the seller may risk getting no bids unless someone really wants a worthy but mediocre motor car that is a long way from the historic vehicle premium.

Alan
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 08:59   #1389
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Given that there's a sticker on the instrument panel saying "unleaded gasoline only" is it possible that the car belonged to an airman based at Royal United States Air Force Base Soesterberg?

Our colonial subjects drive on the wrong side of the road and refer to petrol as "gas(oline)" but at least stick with imperial distances even if their gallon is a lot smaller than ours.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 09:33   #1390
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Given that there's a sticker on the instrument panel saying "unleaded gasoline only" is it possible that the car belonged to an airman based at Royal United States Air Force Base Soesterberg?

Our colonial subjects drive on the wrong side of the road and refer to petrol as "gas(oline)" but at least stick with imperial distances even if their gallon is a lot smaller than ours.
Royal United States Air Force Alf? I don't think the cousins would sign up to the Royal bit since 1776!

If my memory serves me right Soesterberg was operated by the Dutch AF (hence there would probably be a Royal bit somewhere in its title, I can't remember exactly where). I think you are probably right, the 242 was probably owned by either a serviceman or consular official - either American or other NATO and supplied by AFFES.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Dec 2nd, 2021 at 10:39.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: