Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 840289

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 10:34   #1391
kiloran

My 940 is ex-RAF, delivered to Germany direct from Gothenburg via Volvo Tourist & Diplomatic Sales. RHD so I'd imagine it was a base-wagen. First owner was a sergeant at RAF Bruggen.
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 10:45   #1392
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
My 940 is ex-RAF, delivered to Germany direct from Gothenburg via Volvo Tourist & Diplomatic Sales. RHD so I'd imagine it was a base-wagen. First owner was a sergeant at RAF Bruggen.
I bought my first new motor car (a 240 estate) that way: via Volvo Tourist and Diplomatic Sales whom generously paid for my ferry from Keil to collect it from Gothenburg, and also didn't charge me any tax.

:-)
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 10:49   #1393
kiloran

I see they still offer the programme - 20% VAT savings if you're posted overseas

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/buy/fin...and-diplomatic
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 21:01   #1394
jasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I think we will have to agree to disagree about the Dutch motor car - I don't think it is scruffy at all and there is no evidence that it needs mechanical work.
Now, whether it is worth nearly £9,000 is another matter, even as a special edition I think that is high
[/URL]
https://www.classic-trader.com/uk/ca...42/1979/240928

Is it just me who looks at this and see's shot paintwork, dull in places, on the doors looking like its been rattle canned, boot lacquer looks shot.

It looks typical of a spanish or canaries car when the paint just goes, probably due to sun and heat, whilst this isn't as bad as many canaries old cars it looks to me like it wants a full quality respray.
Hence why I say it looks a bit scruffy.

As for mechanics, there is nothing to indicate bad, nor anything to indicate good, I find it reassuring when a seller details work and/or history, tyre condition, when the belts were last done etc.
I know a few people who confuse service history with MOT passes, perhaps too long looking at the rough end of the price driven ebay market,
yet here we have a higher value car in your mind that says
"Can be driven as is, could also be a great contender for restoration." which indicates to me you'd be in for some mechanical expenses, but I may be wrong, it may well come with full history, recent belts and regular oil services, who knows, if it does its not well advertised.
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 21:09   #1395
jasons

Given the used car market is up 16% one month, and in my mind on many (not all) vehicles 25-30% over the last 6-months,
furthermore the classic market has been strong and with inflation and talk of interest rates rising which may well strengthen it some more...
and in the context of the 240's, which some are older than 40-years, ulez and road tax exempt, yet others as young as 1993 -

What are peoples thoughts on these influences against the price notes being banded about for the 3 categories of cars?
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 04:23   #1396
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post

Is it just me who looks at this and see's shot paintwork, dull in places, on the doors looking like its been rattle canned, boot lacquer looks shot.

It looks typical of a spanish or canaries car when the paint just goes, probably due to sun and heat, whilst this isn't as bad as many canaries old cars it looks to me like it wants a full quality respray.
Hence why I say it looks a bit scruffy.

As for mechanics, there is nothing to indicate bad, nor anything to indicate good, I find it reassuring when a seller details work and/or history, tyre condition, when the belts were last done etc.
I know a few people who confuse service history with MOT passes, perhaps too long looking at the rough end of the price driven ebay market,
yet here we have a higher value car in your mind that says
"Can be driven as is, could also be a great contender for restoration." which indicates to me you'd be in for some mechanical expenses, but I may be wrong, it may well come with full history, recent belts and regular oil services, who knows, if it does its not well advertised.
We disagree jasons, that is all. I’m not trying to persuade you if anything and you may of course believe whatever you wish.
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 04:41   #1397
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Given the used car market is up 16% one month, and in my mind on many (not all) vehicles 25-30% over the last 6-months,
furthermore the classic market has been strong and with inflation and talk of interest rates rising which may well strengthen it some more...
and in the context of the 240's, which some are older than 40-years, ulez and road tax exempt, yet others as young as 1993 -

What are peoples thoughts on these influences against the price notes being banded about for the 3 categories of cars?
Good morn,

I don’t for one moment believe that used car prices have increased by 16% in one month (except perhaps in Zimbabwe) or 30% in the past 6 months, but it is entirely up to you if you want to believe those things jasons. We just disagree, but I’m not offended by that.

Your question is exactly the central tenet of this thread: working out the current market values of Volvo 240 motor cars - and identifying daft asking prices on the way (which is why it is called ‘Seriously?’). The price guide we have developed is based on empirical evidence, which isn’t often proven wrong and (on the whole) correspondents seem to agree with.

We do of course welcome other views, particularly if supported by some evidence which may change the guide (it will of course change over time with the market).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Dec 3rd, 2021 at 04:45.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 05:48   #1398
Othen
Premier Member

This is an interesting one, and very hard to put a value on:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1385569

... it is a 1978 264GL, only about 130,000 miles, very original, and a registration plate that must surely be worth thousands (KB 70), but the catch is... it is in Cyprus.

I know Cyprus very well, having owned a house there for over a decade. It looks like the motor car has been stored under a block of flats so it should be pretty rust free, but the paint and rubber parts will be scorched by the UV light and there will be sand and dust absolutely everywhere. The motor car will have the old type (cardboard) registration document (I'm not sure the DVLA will accept that as proof of anything, they were just written in manuscript) - the lovely Cyprus registration plate would (unfortunately) be worthless here. The motor car's value in Cyprus will just be as scrap, such in the market there (there was no shortage of older cars due to the taxation regime before Cyprus joined the EU and Cypriots just aren't much interested in old cars). Being RHD the motor car wouldn't really have any value in most of Europe.

So, this old motor car has scrap value in Cyprus (it might even cost to get it towed away), but if it was here in the UK with an historic registration it would be worth around 2 grand. The problem would be the bit in between. The seller suggests it could be shipped here for £700, and that might well be true if it was a runner and rider and could get itself to Limassol docks, but it isn't. I suppose a prospective buyer from the UK would have to factor in a trip to Cyprus to have a look first (maybe combined with a holiday, the island is a lovely place), then get it loaded and transported from wherever it is now to Limassol, shipped to the UK and then picked up this end. The cost of all that could easily be 2 grand... eeeek!

The market for this motor car will be tiny because of the above, but I do so hope someone with the right circumstances (perhaps someone like me before I sold my house at Mazotos) sees this one and decides to save it. The chance of that happening might be a bit slim, unless perhaps there is an enthusiast on this forum with just have the right circumstances?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Dec 3rd, 2021 at 06:13. Reason: Grammar.
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 05:50   #1399
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
We disagree jasons, that is all. I’m not trying to persuade you if anything and you may of course believe whatever you wish.

I had another look at the ad in the light of jasons' post saying it looked scruffy. I've posted one of the pics above showing the back end. I think scruffy fits!

Shame because if it is a Jubilee model, that paint would need fixing (all over the car) to make it worth its real value.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 06:05   #1400
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I had another look at the ad in the light of jasons' post saying it looked scruffy. I've posted one of the pics above showing the back end. I think scruffy fits!

Shame because if it is a Jubilee model, that paint would need fixing (all over the car) to make it worth its real value.
Well, maybe I'm wrong Dave - what I see is a very rare and pretty original motor car. It is not my cup of tea (because I'm a tightwad) but the market for historic motor cars favours patina over fresh paint, so I rather suspect repainting it might reduce its value in the UK (again, not my thing, but that is what the market likes).

I'm still not convinced the motor car is worth nearly £9,000, but the market will decide.

Alan

PS. As you will know from our previous discussions Dave, I've considered having the RB repainted in the past, but always concluded it has taken 41 years for the patina to look as good as it does :-).

Last edited by Othen; Dec 3rd, 2021 at 06:10.