Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 841068

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 17:21   #2351
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

For an estate car, they're quite pretty in a breeze-block-aerodynamic, function over form aesthetic, however there are better looking estates around although not necessarily as practical as a 2/7/9 series Volvo.

They're not completely butt-ugly but they're not the best looking car in the world, neither are they the ugliest - i think that moniker goes to the Chrysler 300C estate, not to be confused with the Nissan 300C estate that is quite good looking in an 80s-Japanese huge estate way.

The bonus of the Nissan 300C estate (besides being better looking than the Chrysler that "borrowed" its name) is the VG30E 3.0 V6 under the bonnet, manual only with live rear axle (a bit like a Volvo on that last bit) and a rear window that winds down and/or has triple wipers on it, depending on options selected and territory.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 17:29   #2352
Moomoo
VOC Member

The 245 could have been crafted at the hand of Michelangelo himself.

There are non so blind………
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 18:01   #2353
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
The 245 could have been crafted at the hand of Michelangelo himself.
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 18:05   #2354
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle?
No! T’other one!🤨
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 18:35   #2355
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
No! T’other one!🤨
There's another Michaelangelo?

Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 19:03   #2356
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
There's another Michaelangelo?
Pearls before swine!
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 19:55   #2357
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Pearls before swine!
Eloquently put - or as the apiarist might say, beauty is in the eye of the bee-holder.

To be fair, i think that was your point all along - you find the lines of the 244/5 appealing?
Like i said, i don't think it's ugly but i do think there are better looking estates but none so practical and after all, that's why many of us buy estates.

That said i couldn't resist having a bit of fun seeing as you suggested Michelangelo could have sculpted a 245 as i doubt cars would have been his thing or if they were, something more like a Maserati 3200GT, Ferrari Dino or similar. All conjecture obviously as there are a few centuries difference between Michelangelo and the 245.............

Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 20:05   #2358
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Eloquently put - or as the apiarist might say, beauty is in the eye of the bee-holder.

To be fair, i think that was your point all along - you find the lines of the 244/5 appealing?
Like i said, i don't think it's ugly but i do think there are better looking estates but none so practical and after all, that's why many of us buy estates.

That said i couldn't resist having a bit of fun seeing as you suggested Michelangelo could have sculpted a 245 as i doubt cars would have been his thing or if they were, something more like a Maserati 3200GT, Ferrari Dino or similar. All conjecture obviously as there are a few centuries difference between Michelangelo and the 245.............

Aye, all my friends refer to it as the “box”!

Never mind!

Your reference to bees made me think of “ I’m sorry , I haven’t a clue”,
when a Jewish priest was asked to fabricate an apiary, Judas Maccabaeus!

I’ll get my coat!😄
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 23:00   #2359
BicycleBoy
Master Member

240 GLT estate in Cornwall
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175426122625
High mileage MOT failure and miles away from most people. This should reveal the bottom of the market for running GLTs...
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 23:31   #2360
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
240 GLT estate in Cornwall
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175426122625
High mileage MOT failure and miles away from most people. This should reveal the bottom of the market for running GLTs...
It's what i call an "honest high miler" though, he's racked up the mileage in normal use and the MoT failure only sounds just bad enough that you'd know it wouldn't go straight through unless Mr Magoo was your tester.
That said, you could legitimately book an MoT for it when you collect it and drive it straight to the test centre and from there home - all legally as long as you were insured.
Whether you'd want to or not is another matter but legally, you could.

That said it's also what i'd call a "good 20 pacer" - looks good at 20 paces away but get closer and you'd start noticing things like the "aerated sill" and so on - so might an over-zealous PC in the passsenger seat of a Police car and give you a pull for it. If he (or she) was over-zealous enough, he'd get a Traffic Officer along (which would delay you and make you miss your pre-arranged MoT test) to go over it with a fine-toothed comb. No doubt that would reveal a few more faults than the average moT tester would fail it for.

However, i can't remember the last time i saw a police car on the road, certainly round here anyway. Seen several illegally parked, half on pavements, facing the wrong way, on double yellow lines or other marked restrictions and sometimes a combination of the above.

As such, driving from pick-up to MoT and then home would be a calculated risk, probably one you'd get away with but a risk nonetheless.

If i was in the market for a 240GLT estate, i'd probably bid up to ~£200 for it but i'm not. My next estate is likely to be a bit more modern, simply for parts availability and with one possible exception, likely to be another V6 of some description.

PS - i've just noticed he'll deliver it for £3.35!

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Sep 23rd, 2022 at 23:32. Reason: PS........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: