Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 838766

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread : Fygilwu

Old Mar 10th, 2021, 16:43   #351
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Aha the high intensity rear lights .....

The switch is (in the usual 240 place ... ) above the lights switch, upper far right of the dash ....

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 17:03   #352
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Aha the high intensity rear lights .....

The switch is (in the usual 240 place ... ) above the lights switch, upper far right of the dash ....

If memory serves, the usual position on the older 240s (with which i'm more familiar) is the upper centre console. That said i found it thanks, as indicated by the scribbled line :

At least it won't end up with those horrible pendant style aftermarket things hanging from the rear bumper!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 17:18   #353
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

My memory does not recall high intensity rear lights on my T reg 244. Why did I sell it? But ... who knows now?

Anyways that Japanese import has a switch for high intensity rear lights.

What about the shape of that car's real lights? I like the look of them.

Stephen

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 17:26   #354
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
My memory does not recall high intensity rear lights on my T reg 244. Why did I sell it? But ... who knows now?

Anyways that Japanese import has a switch for high intensity rear lights.

What about the shape of that car's real lights? I like the look of them.

Stephen

You wouldn't have had rear fog lights as standard on a T reg 244 (1978/79) because they weren't mandatory here until July 1980. Very last of the V reg so many cars that had been sat in a dealers compound unsold for moths had an aftermarket rear fog (or pair of) light fitted.
However, there were Volvo Accessory kits for rear fog lights for earlier cars, the 140/240 (early) which had the rear fog light in the upper centre console and then later cars had them as standard.

The rear lights on that JDM 244 look like what we would know better as either GLT or GLE spec, might be wrong though. Could be USA spec even though it's a JDM car.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 17:57   #355
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
They certainly look the same, i can't see a rear fog switch in the upper centre console but it might be just out of shot on the view showing the light switch and steering wheel/instruments.

If it doesn't then like many other JDM imports, it would have to have an aftermarket rear fog light for the MoT no doubt on an aftermarket switch in the dash somewhere.

Spares shouldn't be a major problem although i know later 940s had a specific front pipe/catalytic converter for the JDM models, different to UK models. Also with my other passion, the Rover 800, many parts for that were bespoke for JDM models including oddly, the headlamp lenses. Whether the same applies to Volvo or not i don't know but they have a slightly different beam pattern so just scrape a pass on the UK MoT usually.
Other oddities are the CCU which has a different part number (although the basic unit is identical) to the UK versions, that would be a software fix if it presented any problems or on an early enough car, a simple swap to a used UK spec CCU if you could find one.
The other one i probably wouldn't change is the front number plate plinth on the 800 to mount the square Japanese number plates. Square UK plates are available that fit nicely and give a slightly different front end view.
Looking at the dash photo there IS a rear foglamp switch, above the rotary switch for the lighting, so that worry is taken care of. The later cars had it re-located from "switch alley" to the side of the instrument panel. The rear lamp clusters can be swapped out if there isn't a lamp/lampholder though some proficiency with a solding iron or crimping/cutting pliers might be called for if the car has 4 stop lamps.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 18:00   #356
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
About 3 times too much, even for a nice one at the moment!
The orange 244 didn't find a buyer at £9,995 either - no surprise.
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 18:02   #357
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
You wouldn't have had rear fog lights as standard on a T reg 244 (1978/79) because they weren't mandatory here until July 1980. Very last of the V reg so many cars that had been sat in a dealers compound unsold for moths had an aftermarket rear fog (or pair of) light fitted.
However, there were Volvo Accessory kits for rear fog lights for earlier cars, the 140/240 (early) which had the rear fog light in the upper centre console and then later cars had them as standard.

The rear lights on that JDM 244 look like what we would know better as either GLT or GLE spec, might be wrong though. Could be USA spec even though it's a JDM car.
HIRGs were fitted to late 1978 model cars for the UK market. Essentially sdaloons with the rounded boot-lid, like Othen's, had them whereas the final squared-off bootlid ones didn't. Estates had a single HIRG on the offside of the tailgate.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 18:02   #358
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The KPH speedo could be easily changed Alan as i'm sure you're aware. However it might be easier to just add conversion marks for the relevant speed limits - 50kmh, 64kmh, 80, 100 and 110kmh for the 30, 40, 50, 60 & 70mph speed limits but the other problem might be lack of rear frog lights. I don't think they were mandatory in Japan until much later so weren't fitted to start with. That said, being a Volvo they probably had them anyway.

He also has a couple of nice 4.0 XJ40 Sovereigns for £7-8k, for me that all depends on Mr Camelot and tonights draw!
... I'd noticed those Jaguars as well Dave. I'd like another one day.
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 19:11   #359
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Looking at the dash photo there IS a rear foglamp switch, above the rotary switch for the lighting, so that worry is taken care of. The later cars had it re-located from "switch alley" to the side of the instrument panel. The rear lamp clusters can be swapped out if there isn't a lamp/lampholder though some proficiency with a solding iron or crimping/cutting pliers might be called for if the car has 4 stop lamps.
I think you may have missed it but there is a post further up where i found said foglamp switch and sort of circled it in blue scribble.

Not quite sure about what you're suggesting about 4 brake lamps - if you mean converting one to a rear fog lamp and it's within 4" of the brake light, it's not legal. I found this out many moons ago with my last C210 Skyline, i was going to convert the outer (brake lights) red lens to stop/tail and the inner (originally tail light) to rear fog lights. They were closer than 4" apart and it was while chatting with a former colleague that he reminded me of that fact.
When i checked the legal stuff on it, there was a bit of a grey area as to whether it was the edges of the lamps in question or centres of the bulbs.

Sadly never got any further with that car because life got in the way but it moved with me 3 times until i found the A-pillars on both sides and sills on both sides had terminal rot in all 4 sections of each - 2 inner A-pillars and 2 inner sills and 2 outer A-pillars and 2 outer sills on both sides! They didn't want it to flex in the middle, obviously!

Old Mar 11th, 2021, 07:26   #360
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The KPH speedo could be easily changed Alan as i'm sure you're aware. However it might be easier to just add conversion marks for the relevant speed limits - 50kmh, 64kmh, 80, 100 and 110kmh for the 30, 40, 50, 60 & 70mph speed limits but the other problem might be lack of rear frog lights. I don't think they were mandatory in Japan until much later so weren't fitted to start with. That said, being a Volvo they probably had them anyway.

He also has a couple of nice 4.0 XJ40 Sovereigns for £7-8k, for me that all depends on Mr Camelot and tonights draw!
the speedo/odometer could be changed of course Dave, but then it wouldn't be original - and with a nice car like that it would be good to keep it as it is (I think the same about the front number plate). It would be possible to get an overlay (or print one on transparent film) in MPH - which would look nicer.

I like the Japanese car (same as the RB but more modern), but I don't think the dealer would come down to what I might consider a reasonable price :-)