Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing with an 2010my xc70

Views : 1172

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 09:17   #1
BigMart

Default Towing with an 2010my xc70

Hello Chaps, first post of many,

I am thinking of buying a new xc70 d5 205 for towing my 1800kg caravan.
I have never owned a volvo of any kind and been a follower of the Landrover brand for many years with several discoverys and more recently a range rover sport.
The sport will have to go soon because I use it for business travelling and it's a bit too juicy.
My Questions....
Does any one on here tow a big twin axle van with an xc70 ?
What are the problems, if any?
Is it ok to spec an auto box?

I intend to run it to 200k miles.
And lastly...
Has anyone experience of stepping out of a more conventional 4x4/suv and stepping into an xc70/v70.
I am worried about missing the height and road presence apart from interior space.

Lots of questions I know.
Thanks in advance

Mart
BigMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 18:02   #2
Westyman
VOC Member

I have towed a 1500kg 'van with my 2005 V70 D5 (163 bhp) AWD Geartronic for years with no problem.
I have just taken delivery of a 2011MY V70 D5 AWD Geartronic (205 bhp) and later this year will be changing the 'van for a 1700kg one which is just everso slightly over the recommended 85% if it was laden to max capacity
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 19:56   #3
BigMart

Thanks for the reply Westyman,

I'm surprised there arent more xc70 caravanners on here.
I suppose it's a low volume production car..

I'm more worried that I wont get on with a car like experience after 12 years of discoveries and range rovers.

I would be interested to know how you get on with your new xc70.

Mart
BigMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 11:37   #4
Westyman
VOC Member

It's not actually the XC70, but the normal V70 with the AWD. I'm not actually too keen on the body mouldings that are on the XC70 and I had no need of the increased ground clearance. I have posted a couple of pictures of the car here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=93814

I understand that in UK V70s outsell XC70s but in the States it's the other way round. Either way, fine towcars and I hope you'd be happy with an XC70 if you choose to go that way. From what I hear you may miss the frequent trips to the LR dealers.........:-)

First tow with the new car will be mid-August.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 14:04   #5
Yellowbelly

Default Towing with XC70

The XC70 and V70 AWD are both good towcars especially with the new 205ps D5 Engine. Geartronic works well - I tow 1700kgs on a single axle caravan, - just make sure you fit load compensating suspension. Factory towing max is 2100kgs for the XC70 and 2000kgs for the V70awd both with a 90kg noseweight limit.
Yellowbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yellowbelly For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 16:59   #6
Westyman
VOC Member

Now had first tow with new set-up and it was fine. I may play around a bit with tyre pressures. I tried the 38psi all round for economy as per h/b but have 34 all round at the moment as 38 was a bit harsh. May try a bit mor ein the back.