Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 D4/D5 Consumption

Views : 7607

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2013, 10:26   #1
S60Chris
Master Member

Default XC60 D4/D5 Consumption

Hello All,

Just a quick one...

We're looking at replacing our 2008 Discovery 2.7 TDV6 HSE with a brand new XC60 SE Lux Geartronic AWD... It looks to be a but more economical (Disco gets 27mpg at best...)

So the D4 AWD and D5 AWD are both the same 2400cc 5 pot engine obviously the former with 163bhp and the latter with 215bhp.

Quoted economy figures are identical for auto versions of both.

Is this reflected in reality? If they both offer the same economy figures then we'll get the D5 but if in real world driving the D4 is drastically more economical then we'll look that way instead.

Thanks for the help,

Chris
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 10:52   #2
nomorework

Mine's a D5 manual, mileage is just over 5k and average fuel consumption is 37mpg. Doesn't seem to vary much between urban/extra urban.
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 10:56   #3
S60Chris
Master Member

Thats lower than I would have hoped...

If you stick cruise control on at exactly 70mph and drive 20 miles down a dual carriageway, what figures are you likely to see?

I just got an X3 35d Auto a few weeks ago and that has 313bhp yet I still managed to get 44.5mpg out of it on a long run up to North Yorkshire. It's mid to high 30's average though taking all kinds of driving into account.
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 11:52   #4
nomorework

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60Chris View Post
Thats lower than I would have hoped...

If you stick cruise control on at exactly 70mph and drive 20 miles down a dual carriageway, what figures are you likely to see?

I just got an X3 35d Auto a few weeks ago and that has 313bhp yet I still managed to get 44.5mpg out of it on a long run up to North Yorkshire. It's mid to high 30's average though taking all kinds of driving into account.
About the same, 37. Recently had the car Polestar'd and it returned 40.8 on a 60 mile motorway round trip with the cc set to 70.
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 11:52   #5
willin

Not sure I can help a great deal but I'll add my experiences so far. I've had my D4 SE AWD Manual (163hp) for seven weeks now and I have done 1100 miles. Mostly a mix of hilly local roads and some dual carriageway and motorway. If you know the area around the Gateshead MetroCentre and Tyneside/County Durham/Northumberland then you'll have a good idea od the type of driving.

I haven't done any long runs usually 25 miles is the max and I haven't used the cruise control. According to the on board computer my average mpg is 37.8. My previous car was a Skoda Octavia Scout (same AWD system, 140bhp but about 350kg lighter) and it got 42.3mpg on similar usage though I could get 50mpg on a long motorway cruise.

I don't think that the XC60 consumption is bad at all though I am hoping (probably illogically) that mpg will improve as the months progress. I'd be delighted with anything over 40mpg.
willin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 12:26   #6
Crockers
Premier Member

For a D5 geartronic expect mid 30s overall. BMW is far more economical, handles better but isn't as comfy. IMHO. I drove both..albeit a 2.0 d. Volvo far nicer place to be. But it is thirstier than I expected (or hoped for).
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 15:57   #7
Capt Pugwash

I had a Shogun LWB Elegance on an 11 plate before my XC60D4...I did 30,000miles in a year in the shogun (mainly motorway, and dual carraigeway and it was aweful giving me about 25 to 28mpg at best...
I then set out to find a quality 4 wheel drive with a good sized boot for work, but with good cornering and far better mpg, I hired an Evoque for 5 days and it was terrible, it had vague steering and a tiny boot and no rear legroom (altough plenty of toys & glam lol)

I tried a BMW X3 and it was dull and uninspiring!, Audi I have had before and had big issues so that was a no no...

I eventually passed a Volvo dealer and thought what the hell lets take a look, I had a drive in the XC90 and it was like my Shogun (agricultural almost) then I test drove a D5 XC60 and then a D4 XC60, the drive was superb in both and the XC60 really ran rings around an evoque on the motorway, the evoque had really vague steering in a straight line at speed...so I purchased a pre registered brand new R-Design D4 and I get circa 44mpg on a long run at about 77mph average but if I use sport mode in geartronic and have fun on country lanes it will drop to 32mpg quite quickly...

I never thought I would say this...but I love my volvo! I change my car every year due to my business miles and this is the first time I am thinking of having the same make/model again...albeit an MY14 to replace my MY13

Last edited by Capt Pugwash; Jul 25th, 2013 at 16:00.
Capt Pugwash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt Pugwash For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 09:48   #8
S60Chris
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
For a D5 geartronic expect mid 30s overall. BMW is far more economical, handles better but isn't as comfy. IMHO. I drove both..albeit a 2.0 d. Volvo far nicer place to be. But it is thirstier than I expected (or hoped for).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Pugwash
I eventually passed a Volvo dealer and thought what the hell lets take a look, I had a drive in the XC90 and it was like my Shogun (agricultural almost) then I test drove a D5 XC60 and then a D4 XC60, the drive was superb in both and the XC60 really ran rings around an evoque on the motorway, the evoque had really vague steering in a straight line at speed...so I purchased a pre registered brand new R-Design D4 and I get circa 44mpg on a long run at about 77mph average but if I use sport mode in geartronic and have fun on country lanes it will drop to 32mpg quite quickly...
If it's mid 30's overall with pushing into the low 40's not breaking 70mph on a long run, I can live with that. It's better than 27mpg from the discovery.

The Mrs won't have anything low down, 2 wheel drive, too small, and that will tow under 2 tonnes.

She drove the XC90 and hated it - it was clearly a dated platform with old tech, the Santa Fe was nice and tight but not as 'premium' and it felt small despite being a large car, we have an X3 already, She thinks the Q5 will present the wrong image to her friends and colleagues, the Tiguan looks too small for her, Toureg is too pricey, she doesn't like the Evoque, hates the Freelander and we don't like the current Japanese offerings. She loved the XC60 to drive - we drove the SE Lux D5 Polestar Geartronic at the dealership and she couldn't fault it. It's wider than an XC90 and she felt safe in it.

It would be used to go on the A14 in Cambridgeshire into Suffolk every day - from Bar Hill to Newmarket if anyone knows the route. It's dual carriageway the whole way with average cams along most of it. It's a very flat route so I would hope we can achieve a reasonable MPG from the vehicle.

MPG is important, as we would partly be financing the XC60 from savings made on diesel. Anything more than 27mpg is a bonus though. We also have to take into consideration the fact it doesn't cost £500 a year to tax, there will be a 5 year service pack, its a much lower insurance group & it's warrantied for 3 years.

Thanks for the replies
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 11:43   #9
Crockers
Premier Member

I doubt you will run into low 40s on a trio..more likely high 30s. I was hoping for better than I'm getting, but its a new engine so should improve.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 15:18   #10
S60Chris
Master Member

Odd question - does anyone without keyless start have any problems with the location of the fob slot if you have a big bunch of keys?