Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 T4 4K rpm stutter

Views : 1799

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2008, 20:15   #1
TelstarFlyer

Default V40 T4 4K rpm stutter

Hey all! Great to be talking again!
My '02 V40 T4 is requesting your assistance.
I know my lambda censor is giving problems, the engine light stays on, but apparently only because the heater on the censor in malfunctioning. Thing is: My car started stuttering about a month ago, but only under extreme acceleration, in third/fourth gear, but you won't feel it it fifth, it is to light a stutter!

The whole BIG issue started on Firday, when I was late for a meeting. I drove the car untill it didn't register ANY fuel in the tank, then I could only fill up with 93 unleaded, so I just put about 5 litres in, just to get to another station with 95. When I left with the 93 in my car, all hell broke loose whenever I try to accelerate hard. It stutters as if the timing is out by far!!!!
As soon as I lift my foot a centimetre, it's fine, then will go all the way to 5500rpm! I saw a sequence with the stutters starting at just about after 4k rpm, and as far as I know, this is where the vvt cam starts playing?!

Anyway, the fuel econo is wonderfull, as I can only drive like grandma, but the car begs a fix, so do I

Could this be fuel starfation or the censor? Is it possible the lower budget sparkplugs is starting to come into play, as it's NGK? (hey, it rhimes )

Thanx for the response, as I can feel it comming
TelstarFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 21:03   #2
Dandle
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelstarFlyer View Post
Hey all! Great to be talking again!
My '02 V40 T4 is requesting your assistance.
I know my lambda censor is giving problems, the engine light stays on, but apparently only because the heater on the censor in malfunctioning. Thing is: My car started stuttering about a month ago, but only under extreme acceleration, in third/fourth gear, but you won't feel it it fifth, it is to light a stutter!

The whole BIG issue started on Firday, when I was late for a meeting. I drove the car untill it didn't register ANY fuel in the tank, then I could only fill up with 93 unleaded, so I just put about 5 litres in, just to get to another station with 95. When I left with the 93 in my car, all hell broke loose whenever I try to accelerate hard. It stutters as if the timing is out by far!!!!
As soon as I lift my foot a centimetre, it's fine, then will go all the way to 5500rpm! I saw a sequence with the stutters starting at just about after 4k rpm, and as far as I know, this is where the vvt cam starts playing?!

Anyway, the fuel econo is wonderfull, as I can only drive like grandma, but the car begs a fix, so do I

Could this be fuel starfation or the censor? Is it possible the lower budget sparkplugs is starting to come into play, as it's NGK? (hey, it rhimes )

Thanx for the response, as I can feel it comming
This is caused because you car is sensing knock and cutting boost. The lower octane fuel requires the car to retard the ignition but this takes a couple of tanks to fully achieve. If you run it back onto 95(assuming your in the US.) it will be fine again. Although it may take a little time to advance the ignition again for maxium power/efficiency.
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 22:45   #3
stevo48
Premier Member

In addition to the above invest in a set of genuine Volvo spark plugs, you will see a difference.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 07:10   #4
TelstarFlyer

Red face

Thanx!
I must add i've done about 300km's on the 95 tank (I'm in South Africa - we're suppose to be happy with this 'premium' octane), but felt the issue on 93 allready after about 20km's. I got a huge list of error's from Volvo diagnostics when I was there yesterday, with the following:

CCM-0006 - Position sensor damper motor temp. Signal
CCM-000A - Damper motor position sensor air distribution Signal too low
ECM-28 - Front heated exygen sensor (HO2S)integrator - Faulty signal
ECM-4D Misfire which damages catalytic converter - Faulty signal

Is it possible to shed some light?

Volvo said I must return after they resetted the log, to see what went on again, but haven't had the time to go there again.

Thanx for the reply, and yes, I fear Volvo spark plugs did feel better!
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 15:59   #5
Dandle
Master Member

Just take it back and see what codes are showing. As for the fuel you will prbably find your octane rating is the same as the US where 95Mon is equal to our 98Ron. Same as your 93 is equal to our 95.
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 23:26   #6
huskie69
S40 Fuel Dispenser

Default Same issue!

Hey Telstar

I think I have exactly the same issue with my 1999 S40 1.9 T4 Auto. I get a lurching/juddering at about 3500-4000rpm which seems to correct itself when I ease off the throttle a bit. It's deffinately getting worse though as now I have really bad acceleration even in sports mode and have had to drive around in economy mode instead

Please keep the thread updated as I'd love to know if you get it fixed and what the solution is!
huskie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 12:05   #7
TelstarFlyer

Hi Huskie69,
Will do.
I am on my way to the Volvo garage, will keep you posted.
Funny thing is, as soon as I think it's gone, it happens again!!!
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 15:59   #8
huskie69
S40 Fuel Dispenser

I booked mine into the garage today.

Thought I'd take it out for a spin first just so I can tell the mechanic exactly what happens. Crazy thing is that the car has actually performed better today than any other day since I bought it - it actually got to almost 6000rpm before changing gear in sports mode. Still judders if I push it at about 70mph (got to ease off the throttle and back on again).

Anyway, I've asked the mechanic to look into changing the HT leads and spark plugs if they need it as it is due for a service.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as these cars can cost a small fortune to fix !
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 13:06   #9
TelstarFlyer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskie69 View Post
I booked mine into the garage today.

Thought I'd take it out for a spin first just so I can tell the mechanic exactly what happens. Crazy thing is that the car has actually performed better today than any other day since I bought it - it actually got to almost 6000rpm before changing gear in sports mode. Still judders if I push it at about 70mph (got to ease off the throttle and back on again).

Anyway, I've asked the mechanic to look into changing the HT leads and spark plugs if they need it as it is due for a service.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as these cars can cost a small fortune to fix !
Hi Huskie69,
Well, I spoke to a few Volvo dealerships, and all came down to what fuel I had in the car when I last had it tuned by Volvo! So I tested all, and the best one, Sasol (South African), and 95 (the highest we have) is becomming my favourite after the 2nd refill!!!!
The stutter basically dissappeard, and well, still testing, I did also replace the sparkplugs with Volvo's, and will keep you updated. How about you?
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 18:13   #10
huskie69
S40 Fuel Dispenser

Telstar

After I had the spark plugs changed, everything's fine (except for the fuel consumption which I won't go into here!). Perfect acceleration, no loss of power and she goes all the way to 6.5k revs in sports mode before changing gear

I've yet to try higher octane fuel (I think our premium here is sold by Tesco at 98) as I've read in other forums that higher octane fuel won't make any difference - and it's a lot more expensive here too!