Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to replace exhaust?

Views : 804

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 00:56   #1
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Default How to replace exhaust?

Has anyone done a diy job on the exhaust? I'm considering replacing everything behind the cat but really don't feel like getting into a world of hurt. I see a funny looking clip on the exhaust pipe right behind the cat. I'm assuming this to be the connection between cat and pipe. Does anyone know how this connection is put together? Assuming I can take it apart is there welding involved to put it back together?

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 06:36   #2
310den

I have not done the exhaust on a Volvo but have on other cars in the past and all are quite similar. Taking apart and old one can be difficult where one pipe slots into another as rust and heat expantion makes the join very tight so sometimes a hacksaw or similar is needed. Some have used cutting wheels on a grinder but you have to think about sparks and the fuel tank so I don't do that. Cutting and/or sheering off bolts don't matter for the parts coming off anyway. Fitting the new parts is not so bad but if you are doing it on the ground with the car not very high it will be difficult anyway and another person is advised for help but it can be done alone. If you don't get injured by something slipping etc.. then the next day you will achw as you tend to use muscles you didn't know you had! If you have access to a car lift it will be easier. I'm sure there will be some youtube videos for some guidence tips also.
If you like doing your own jobs on the car then go for it, it is a PITA job but you will be happy when done knowing you didn't have to pay someone else to do it.
310den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 07:47   #3
pacman67
VOC Member

You will need to remove the osr wheel to access the join and mount. The rear section passes over the axle before meeting the rear box. You have a post cat probe in the mid section which will need removing. Basically you have to assemble it under the car rather than offer it up in one piece. Did mine on a driveway on my old T4.
currently held: V70 P3 D5 SE LUX, XC90 MK2 Inscription Pro.
pacman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pacman67 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 09:27   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
Has anyone done a diy job on the exhaust? I'm considering replacing everything behind the cat but really don't feel like getting into a world of hurt. I see a funny looking clip on the exhaust pipe right behind the cat. I'm assuming this to be the connection between cat and pipe. Does anyone know how this connection is put together? Assuming I can take it apart is there welding involved to put it back together?
No need for any welding. The rear box hangs on three rubber hangers which in turn bolt to brackets on the car. the bolts tend to rust to the tubular steel inserts that go through the hanger so some easing oil sprayed on and the bolt seesawed gradually as you undo it will crack the rust. Rear box bolts to a flange on the end of the intermediate pipe, three bolts, these corrode away so new bolts needed and a new gasket between the flanges. The front of the intermediate pipe clamps to the rear of the cat -this is a larger tube over a smaller tube arrangement- the clamp is all part of the intermediate pipe and is spot welded to the pipe. There are two rubber hangers for the intermediate pipe, but these should undo as they are away from most of the salt water etc. The Lambda sensors are all part of the cat so no need to disturb these.

When refitting offer up the intermediate pipe first and hang on the two hangers, then bolt the rear box to the intermediate pipe, there is no adjustment. Line the whole lot up and finally tighten the clamp at the rear of the cat.

Although I changed the exhaust on my phase1 on a lift, I would happily lie on a cold concrete floor to do it if I had to.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 11:03   #5
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Ive got a proper exhaust cutter worth getting its a chain with teeth on.also chisel helps aswell as a blowtorch they come off fairly easily.jus watch fuel tank and undercarriage when using the blowtorch .
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2015, 03:13   #6
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to try fixing the flange at junction of tailpipe and muffler one last time before ripping any pieces out. My challenge here is that the muffler itself is in great condition as is the tailpipe that it connects to. However the flanges where the two connect are rusted out. I tried unsuccessfully to pull the two pieces apart earlier in his week but I'm now ready for round 2! There is only one bolt left holding the two pieces together but it is in a bear of a tight spot. I think I'm going to take the sawsall to it and see how I fair. Assuming I can get it off I'm going to attempt putting two split flanges in on either side of the crappy rusted flanges along with the gasket and tons of muffler paste between the two pieces. I'm hoping that gives me a couple of years of use before a larger job is required. Is this wishful thinking?

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2015, 06:22   #7
happy diver
Active Member Moment

Loosen everything before disconnecting or cutting anything completely through
so you can still get purchase before everything starts flopping around.

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2015, 09:20   #8
inchley313
Insane!!

As a tyre and exhaust fitter, I would certainly recommend taking it to a local tyre & exhaust centre as from experience, cars of this age require a ramp, a gas axe and a large selection of hammers to remove the old system. Fitting a new exhaust is relatively easy but removing the old one... that's what'll get 'ya!

'01 V40 2.0 Ph2 141,000mi (lower than the last one)
'98 Honda CR-V 2.0 Auto (as this is the car I'm teaching SWMBO to drive in)
Previous:
'97 V40 2.0CD with 173,000mi on the clock and now sold!!
inchley313 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to inchley313 For This Useful Post: