Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Upgrading to a 1998 V70 T5

Views : 454

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2019, 13:27   #1
bob12
bob12

Default Upgrading to a 1998 V70 T5

I have been running my 1990 745 for just over 29 years now since new. However, there is the likelihood that I might be able to make an offer on a sub-90K V70 T5. I haven't seen it yet.

It comes with virtually an 11 moth MOT, and a good MOT history. The going price for a private sale for one of these car seems to be in the region £500/600 or maybe slightly more?

I would welcome any comments about the pro's and con's of buying, owning and running a 1998 V70 T5.

Cheers,

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 14:28   #2
Clogs
Clogs

Default 745 compared to 1998 V70 T5

First thing to notice is space - less of it. I had a 765 turbo, and it's wider and longer than a T5.
Second thing is acceleration... a T5 is a lot quicker with front wheel spin possible at any speed up to 60mph in lower gears. Front tyres wear quickly even if you just pootle along.
Third thing is comfort... seats in a T5 are excellent and the springs are good soaking up bumps. A bit less room in the back as well. Beware of potholes which will bend alloys as will kerbing on lower profile tyres than a 745.
Fourth thing is lack of rust for an old car - so the paintwork is usually pretty good outside and under. Look under carpets for rust and moisture and any water stains around windscreen. Make sure there aren't irritating rattles from under instrument panel (wiring touching plastic or moving), door panels, seats or tailgate.
Fifth thing is you'll have to spend a thousand or two bringing it up to scratch in the next year or two to deal with niggles - a/c compressor and/or alternator replacement, turbo seals, new cambelt/waterpump if 90k, new discs and pads, fix tailgate rattle (new clips available on internet)... but that is to be expected on any old car.
Sixth - invest in a Haynes manual and see this section for a wealth of advice.
Seventhly - I get 27-29 mpg - only 32-33mpg on long motorway journeys, but then the 765 only did low to mid 20s lugging a high tonnage of metal. Always use high octane petrol... mine doesn't like basic 4 star at higher speeds.

Lastly make sure absolutely everything works and all lights (incl instrument panel), air con, cruise control, radio/tape player, auto interior fans at all settings (make sure really hot and really cold), seat catches, seat adjustment works. The radiator water should be clear - any sight of the dreaded stop leak to be avoided as that will cause trouble later - new rad/heater matrix and 3 o'clock temperature gauge when warm (after less than a mile from cold). Also all windows wind up and down from each door and from driver's door, the lights at the bottom back of each door work and don't stay on to drain the battery, neither does the light in the glovebox not go out. Wiper washers on headlights should work as should fog lights (front and rear), and headlights move up or down. No oil leaks should be present and no blue smoke in hard acceleration or after coasting down a long hill - both turbo wear signs - expensive! There should be no blow back if you take the oil filler cap off - it should suck a little and there should be no gunge in the oil dip stick or oil filler cap.

T5s are more fun to drive than earlier Volvos and look good as well, better than later Volvos.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clogs For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 14:32   #3
Clogs
Clogs

Default Additional

I forgot to say the 740/760 turn like taxis because of rear wheel drive. Not quite as good on front wheel drive V70s
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clogs For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 15:06   #4
mentepazza

700 pounds don’t buy any good T5. Still plenty of room to spend a fortune to repair it... and enjoy it
mentepazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mentepazza For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 17:11   #5
turboboy
Master Member

Default V70 vs 740

Several years ago I decided to "upgrade" from a 740 Turbo to a V70 T5 to get such extras as cruise control, air conditioning and electric seats.

Although missing the accessibility to the engine with the large engine bay and ease of maintenance of the 740 I have never regretted going over to the dark side (front wheel drive).

There may be slightly more room in the 740 but while I cannot do without a large estate I have always found that the V70 has always been able to carry everything I threw at it.

I would say "go for it".

Also agree with CLOGS about the V70 Phase 1 being better than the later ones as my son had a Phase 2 and now a Phase 3 which is causing problems due to non-availability of parts and poor component quality.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turboboy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 20:24   #6
bob12
bob12

Just to say a special thanks to 'Clogs', but NOT forgetting 'turboboy' and 'mentepazza', for their comments/advice. Bob

Last edited by bob12; Mar 1st, 2019 at 23:04.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 23:35   #7
byootox
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentepazza View Post
700 pounds don’t buy any good T5. Still plenty of room to spend a fortune to repair it... and enjoy it
I paid 700 quid seven years ago for mine, still running and never broken down, well not yet anyway lol.
It's certainly not the tidiest example but I don't regret the purchase for a moment.
If the owner is willing to do some DIY then there a great buy.
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 00:06   #8
mentepazza

I paid mine less
I mean nowadays 700 don’t buy any good t5.
There was a time you could buy t5 R for 1.5k pounds.
mentepazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mentepazza For This Useful Post: