Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Two error messages - car in limp mode

Views : 3522

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 16:15   #1
paul chocks

Default Two error messages - car in limp mode

Hi, wife has just come back saying car has no go. It has two messages "High Emissions Service Required" and "Engine Service Required".

Anyone got any clues? I did a search and saw that changing the fuel filter is good for a start, however, previous posters have not mentioned the high emissions error message.

Any help would be appreciated.
paul chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 16:34   #2
yeoman
Master Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul chocks View Post
Hi, wife has just come back saying car has no go. It has two messages "High Emissions Service Required" and "Engine Service Required".

Anyone got any clues? I did a search and saw that changing the fuel filter is good for a start, however, previous posters have not mentioned the high emissions error message.

Amazing, cos I have the engine service error message in my 2009 R design XC90 for 2 days now. .Car went into limp mode this morning, and the authorized volvo garage close to work tells me that the problem is a leak in my intercooler or even the condenser. Strangely, my local volvo dealer told me yesterday after looking at the car that is a defective oxygen sensor and that it would easily be sorted under warrantee.
The second garade I took the car to this morning was suggesting that the repair would not be under warranty( est...£ 600+vat.) as there is a hole in the condenser.I hav have no accidents whatsoever and there is no damage of any sort to the front of my car.
I have already rung volvo uk, and told them I am not in the habit of driving into steel spikes!... They have advised getting the car reassessed again, and call them if there is a problem.
I will be contacting the OFT/ the courts if Volvo UK say they will not repair the car under warranty !!!.
I am also wondering if I can trust anyone of these garages now.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 19:40   #3
ianu
Premier Member

..anything to do with the DPF ??
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 19:55   #4
paul chocks

Don't think so for mine, its an 03 model (DPF is only on later cars isn't it?)
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 20:19   #5
paul chocks

So, also discovered a blown fuse 11 in the engine compartment fuse box - this has is the fuse for Exhaust Gas Regulator (which maybe could cause my probs) along with a bunch of other stuff - relays for climate and glow plugs.

Tried to replace fuse and it blew straight away, so something up. Any clues?

(fuse 11 has different functions in later XC90's)
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 20:49   #6
400-ascona
Premier Member

Just a guess as I haven't got a diesel, but could the EGR mechanism be seized, or the motor seized? It happens all the time on the Vauxhall/Saab CDTI engines.
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 08:58   #7
drpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-ascona View Post
Just a guess as I haven't got a diesel, but could the EGR mechanism be seized, or the motor seized? It happens all the time on the Vauxhall/Saab CDTI engines.
Could well be EGR related, know they cause issues on higher mileage/older Discoverys with a lot of owners just blanking them off to stop any issues.
drpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 16:12   #8
paul chocks

So, I think I found the problem. There is a component called a "PTC resistor" on the turbo inlet hose that feed through that fuse 11. I electrically disconnected the resistor and car seems to run fine now and no fault codes.

Does anyone know what the PTC resistor does? I'm told I need to replace the whole hose as the resistor is part of that, but I'd be keen to know its function.

Cheers
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 10:32   #9
ilysampson

hi
new to this forum, as just got rid of disco 3 for xc90, sounds like i need to also disconect the resistor as i have the same problem, i know this will be a temporary fix, but will do until i can get the main problem fixed, greatly appreciated if you could tell me where to find it and is it just a case of disconecting,

cheers richard

think i just found it, as it caught fire before fuse 11 blew, good start to sunday morning, lol

Last edited by ilysampson; Aug 28th, 2011 at 11:22.
ilysampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2011, 19:57   #10
pokemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul chocks View Post

Hello i have just got my 2009 R design XC 90 back from my local volvo garage it lost power and had a message "Engine Service Required" it had to be towed to the garage they repaired it straight away saying it was a exhaust heat sensor which they repaired under warranty and it has ok since
pokemon is offline   Reply With Quote