Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

drunk xc90 driver

Views : 3790

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 21:37   #11
Funky Diver
FD

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Reverse View Post
my understanding is that Police have no power of entry to demand breath test unless injury accident has occurred.
Incorrect, they can do you with intent... As well as having committed an offence.

Happened to me on my driveway 15 years ago, went out to the car to get a packet of fags out of the glove box during a house party (family, so it wasn't raucous)... Slam... 12 months no driving licence, not even on the public highway.

I despise drink driving, always have... Unfortunately though, there's nothing can be done this late after the event.
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 22:05   #12
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
my understanding is that Police have no power of entry to demand breath test unless injury accident has occurred.
They can if they feel they have a reasonable suspicion a crime has been committed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Diver View Post

Happened to me on my driveway 15 years ago, went out to the car to get a packet of fags out of the glove box during a house party (family, so it wasn't raucous)... Slam... 12 months no driving licence, not even on the public highway.
Honestly? Not sure they would have grounds to ban you for that. Did you not argue it out?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 22:10   #13
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Diver View Post
You should have and what's more could have argued that, assuming you didn't intend to drive..
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 22:56   #14
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

Are you 100% sure he was drunk?????

The reason i ask this is because a few years ago i saw an accident and assumed the same thing, the bloke was staggering all over the place, sluring his words and generaly being a ****. Turned out he was diabetic and was having a fit, so dont be so quick to judge and condem this bloke.

Just a thought
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 23:33   #15
Diesel-do-nicely
Master Member

Thats a good point about the "diabetic "
But he was (in my 35 years of havin a pint) steaming, he was stinking of drink .
The security camera from the kings theatre was obscured by the articulated lorry trailer and unfortunatly i was the only witness to see him actually get out of the volvo.
The camera phone footage only shows him from the point of getting up the second time before he fell backwards and smashed his head.
Believe me his head made the same sound as my arm did when i broke it in half in a crash , bone smash.
So i think the lesson was learned via karma.

In my experience , people like that, will drive, banned or not, any car they get the keys for.

The vehicle number has been given to a friend in the police service.
Diesel-do-nicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 23:52   #16
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

ah if you could smell the booze then i have no sympathy what so ever.

i myself have reported probably 20+ drivers for drink driving, i have even followed them whilst on the phone to police (hands free off course).
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 00:36   #17
Funky Diver
FD

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
They can if they feel they have a reasonable suspicion a crime has been committed.

Honestly? Not sure they would have grounds to ban you for that. Did you not argue it out?

Regards
Yes, honestly... I lost a job over it as I couldn't drive (sales Rep a the time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMad View Post
You should have and what's more could have argued that, assuming you didn't intend to drive..
As if I'd just roll over and take it. The 12 was the reduction from 18 months and £500 fine... The judge gave me leniency, but end of the day... I had car keys in hand... Car was open. That was the CPS case.

They did me with "intent to drive whilst under the influence". Arrested, taken to the station and breathalised. 2 times over the limit... I coulda told them that... And infact remember saying that I thought I was more drunk than their machine thought I was.... Hey ho.
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 09:35   #18
moncman

[QUOTE=In Reverse;1359781]'Perverting the course of justice' - nonsense. QUOTE]

I'm not so sure you're right there. Not reporting a crime is clearly not a crime in itself but the fact you recorded the event shows that you realised all was not well. Now that you have evidence that could help the police in their enquiries and you knowingly withheld it is probably a grey area I would certainly not want to enter into if it were to go to court e.g. after a subsequent fatality.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 10:00   #19
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
'Perverting the course of justice' - nonsense. QUOTE]

I'm not so sure you're right there. Not reporting a crime is clearly not a crime in itself but the fact you recorded the event shows that you realised all was not well. Now that you have evidence that could help the police in their enquiries and you knowingly withheld it is probably a grey area I would certainly not want to enter into if it were to go to court e.g. after a subsequent fatality.
You have no obligation to report it under law (there are a few exceptions but this one no) morally maybe but that is up to a person, you cannot force someone unwillingly to do be a witness etc.

The fact you recorded it is only merely potential evidence - I say potential as you do not know the quality of it etc and could be completely circumstantial.

In regards to be drunk and driving merely having the keys is enough to show intent for driving...for example someone steaming coming out of public house and the last thing you want is them is starting the car you do not want to wait for the consequence in this regard prevention is better than cure.

Oh in regards to the law itself it actually has a few sections: -
Quote:
driving (or in charge) when under the influence of drink or drugs (section 4);
driving (or in charge/attempting to drive) with excess alcohol (section 5);
failing to provide a specimen of breath for screening (section 6(4));
failing to provided a specimen for analysis (section 7(6)).
I know a number of people that have slept off with the keys in the car and have been charged and found guilty of drink driving. The factor is the location of the keys [and vehicle], get someone else to open it from a distance if you have drunk a fair bit or better still get someone sober to do it.

The other old got you one in regards to specimens is - failing to provide one on the suspicion that you are drunk or if you are sober well you won't mind Sir or Madam in providing one will you...

Last edited by Ninja59; Feb 23rd, 2013 at 10:20.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 10:04   #20
Slackey
It's just a name!

So let me get this right.... You witnessed a man who you believe to be under the influence of alcohol drive a vehicle and collide with a wall causing damage. You then witnessed the same individual fall backwards impacting his skull not once but twice on the pavement, causing what you believe to be a fractured skull and at all this time you just videoed the events on your phone.

Wy did you not report the accident? Why did you not report him for suspicion of drink driving? And last but certainly not least, why didn't you call for medical attention? If he did in fact fracture his skull he may not have woken up to read this....think about it!

Previous: 2010 C70 2.0 SE Lux, 2004 V40 2.0 Sport Classic

Founder member of the X40 In Dash Cup Holder Owners Club 😋
Slackey is offline   Reply With Quote