Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General > 400 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Future Classic 440 for sale

Views : 8390

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 20:35   #1
icooney
S60 T6 R-Design P*

Cool Future Classic 440 for sale

Future classic for sale?

For sale, we'll looked after Volvo 440 Li, 1.6 petrol manual metallic blue, 1993 K reg
86k, service history, 4 owners it belonged to a friend of the family who only ever drove a few miles to work and accumulated about 40k, I was the next owner, then my mum, and now it's been back to me, so although on the V5 it says 4 owners it's not really.
Interior seats have been upgraded to half leather set, and comes with the factory fitted Momo sport steering wheel.
Good condition for its age and mileage, we'll looked after, with only one slight dent on one arch.
Drives very well, smooth and powerful enough for any journey whether it be round town or motorways. Loads of capacity inside when the seats are down, I'd call it a big small car.
I will add photos this weekend.
Tax is due to run out end of this month.
Mot I will check this weekend.
Instant drive away. Ideal 1st car, cheap to run, cheap to insure, a future classic.

Only selling as I have an S60R to play with.

Price £800

The picture which looks like the arch is rusted through isn't it is just shadow from the paint bubbled away, the arch is intact.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

S60R - MTE, 3" cust ex't, ITG, Aquamist + DDS3, Evolve springs, cust 3" CAI, Greddy Infro touch, Blitz Boost guage+Cust POD, QBM Strut, EST disks, EBC Yellow, SuperBlue fluid, '08 rear light conversion-tinted, IMIV, 12" Alpine sub+Amp, Parrot MKi9200
icooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 00:43   #2
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're better off selling this at around £4-500.

400s are not worth much and the arches on yours are in need of some serious attention soon. I'm sure it's a decent car but £800 will buy you a very good [but not mint] NA or Diesel 440\460.

I'd also suggest that you swap the steering wheel back for a standard one and sell that separately - you'll probably see a few quid back for that set.

It's your car and you can advertise it for what you want, but I don't think it'll find many takers at that price. I bought a serviceable 460 Turbo for £425 with 10 months' MOT and there's a 440 Turbo currently on eBay without T&T for £500.

Enjoy your S60 and GLWTS.
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 08:09   #3
IwoM

I'd agree with jakobandhismakarov. Except the rust there is no power steering, no electric windows, no air conditioning, no alloys, no painted bumpers, no even rev meter. And where the hell is brake servo and brake fluid tank ?!
IwoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 18:16   #4
gudgeonpin
I've Been Banned

Being frank, It looks a complete shed , as for future classic dream on , if someone offers 300 snatch their hand off
gudgeonpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 00:34   #5
Jason989

It is way too expensive. My friend has recently bought a later model 1995 1.8 SE, with a load of extras, a bit of tax and a few months MOT for £250.

But, good luck.
Jason989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 00:47   #6
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason989 View Post
It is way too expensive. My friend has recently bought a later model 1995 1.8 SE, with a load of extras, a bit of tax and a few months MOT for £250.

But, good luck.
Actually, yeah - £200 to £300's more realistic. I was being polite.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 01:16   #7
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

Ok, at this price I'm guessing you aren't desperate to sell?

Here is an incredibly similar car currently on eBay also, I imagine it'll make just over £200 or so.

I'm sorry but these cars are simply seen as throwaway items, these cars are tragically 'uncool' and are yet to become desirable and frankly there seems to be no sign of things changing.

£800 may seem like little money for a low mileage and probably dependable rare car but sadly the market says it is not
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 09:41   #8
dcw
VOC Member

Have to agree, I'm afraid.

Don't take this the wrong way - just a bit of friendly advice for you to take or leave - but looking at the rust on the rear arches it is far worse than my 480 had when I sold her. My guess would be that in-depth examination will reveal some serious rusting on the inner arch seams and probably across the rear of the car in general.

Unfortunately the 400 series were all the same for it and anyone knowing these cars (I've had several 480s myself) knows exactly what to look for...

Equally, it is clearly the base model, and even things like rear speakers/covers are missing. A 440 Turbo, or maybe GLT, may one day become a future classic, although the market suggests only the 480 might ever make that grade - and the jury is still very much out even on that. I suspect a base model 440 would need to be absolutely immaculate in every way to be of similar potential interest.

Obviously, I hope you can get as much as you like for it - doubtless it is a good reliable car as by and large they were (much underrated throughout their lives, in my view). I suspect, though, that if you do want it sold you are looking at about a third of what you seek.

Good luck with the sale though!

David
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcw For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 10:39   #9
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I am probably jeopardising the sale of my friend's car which is also listed in this forum, although maybe not judging by the lack of offers from this source, but I am hurt by the negative comments in reply to this member's post. It's not you, 'Icooney', they just don't like these cars, or they want them for next to nothing!

True, there is a little rust on the wheelarches, but it is an honest car and you have made no attempt to hide the defects.

I joined the VOC many years ago looking for the camaraderie and friendship. Those members who criticise another member do nothing to enhance that. As a fellow member, you have my sympathies.
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 16:55   #10
dcw
VOC Member

John

You've thanked me for my post so I don't know if your criticisms are aimed at me or not.

However, what I would gently point out is that "camaraderie and friendship" is not the same as "only saying nice things". True, some of the posts here are blunter than others, but most are couched in terms of "friendly advice".

The point about a club like this is that there is camaraderie and access to pooled knowledge and experience - as I see it, it is far better if we suggest to someone that they may have set their price to high, and give good reasons for that, than if we keep quiet and just say "good-oh, go for it".

Sorry if you see it otherwise, but I don't think anyone is setting out to be either nasty or unconstructive. Certainly, as far as I can see, no-one has ever suggested either that the car itself, or the advert, are not honest.

David
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dcw For This Useful Post: