Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General > 400 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Future Classic 440 for sale

Views : 8422

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2014, 16:03   #11
IwoM

john.wigley it's not that that we don't like this model. I love my 460 and I'll probably never sell it. As dcw wrote - these cars are really underrated.
But just be realistic about the value of this particular specimen - it's not too much...

Good example: http://otomoto.pl/volvo-460-volvo-46...C32102501.html
3500zł = 680 GBP

Sold yesterday for less than that.
IwoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 18:16   #12
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

David - Thank you for the courtesy of your reply. No my comments were not directed at you, I thought that your reply was, in fact, the most positive and also couched in sensitive terms. I do, however, feel that others may benefit by taking a leaf out of your book. Terms like 'complete shed' are unnecessary and, to my mind, do not constitute friendly advice. It's simply 'knocking' another member's 'pride and joy' for no good reason!

Also, being cynical, why do those proffering the harshest criticisms chose to hide behind a 'nom-de-plume'?
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 21:14   #13
gudgeonpin
I've Been Banned

Sorry if i offended you by describing your friends car as a shed but to be honest thats exactly what it is , its not a future classic its a tired old banger thats worth peanuts and to try and pass it off as anything else is bit naughty really , as said , sorry if i was blunt but I'm being honest if you don't like that then that's to bad, its how it is I'm afraid .
Perhaps your friend should being a little more honest instead of attempting to pass off a tired old very mediocre tatty car as a classic

Last edited by gudgeonpin; Mar 6th, 2014 at 23:02.
gudgeonpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 00:27   #14
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

'Gudgeonpin' - You have clearly misread my post. If you had read it correctly, you would have realised that I was, in fact, drawing attention to the lack of respect being shown to this member's car.

I did not say that that this is my friend's car, merely that my friend's late mother's car is listed elsewhere in this forum.

It so happens that theirs is a similar age but with a lower mileage, due to it not being used owing to illness.

I am all for free speech and have always advocated honesty in all things, but there is a world of difference between 'DCW's' post and your own. I don't know the owner of the car advertised here, but it is clearly his 'pride and joy'. If you reread his first post I am sure you will understand this.

To describe it in such derogatory terms is unnecessary and uncalled for: it demonstrates a lack of respect for this member's car. Think how you might feel if I or anyone else had the temerity to describe your car in a similar vein - wouldn't you be upset?

Offer advice by all means if you feel qualified to do so, but do please refrain from 'knocking' other peoples cars from behind a cloak of anonymity just because you can.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 11:20   #15
gudgeonpin
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
'Gudgeonpin' - You have clearly misread my post. If you had read it correctly, you would have realised that I was, in fact, drawing attention to the lack of respect being shown to this member's car.

I did not say that that this is my friend's car, merely that my friend's late mother's car is listed elsewhere in this forum.

It so happens that theirs is a similar age but with a lower mileage, due to it not being used owing to illness.

I am all for free speech and have always advocated honesty in all things, but there is a world of difference between 'DCW's' post and your own. I don't know the owner of the car advertised here, but it is clearly his 'pride and joy'. If you reread his first post I am sure you will understand this.

To describe it in such derogatory terms is unnecessary and uncalled for: it demonstrates a lack of respect for this member's car. Think how you might feel if I or anyone else had the temerity to describe your car in a similar vein - wouldn't you be upset?

Offer advice by all means if you feel qualified to do so, but do please refrain from 'knocking' other peoples cars from behind a cloak of anonymity just because you can.

Perhaps your chum should have shown a little more respect himself than trying to pass of that piece of junk as a classic with a corresponding asking price to knowledgable forum members
And i can assure you i have said nothing here i would say to the sellers face had i been daft enough to have gone to look at the car based on his misdescription

Respect works both ways old boy ,As for you felling "hurt "by my observations ..man up please!

Last edited by gudgeonpin; Mar 7th, 2014 at 11:25.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 11:54   #16
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

'Gudgeonpin' You are patently not reading what I have written! I have said more than once that I do not know the vendor of this car yet you persist in referring to him as my 'friend' or, in your last post, 'chum'! Pay attention before replying and perhaps your response will at least have a modicum of relevance to the points at issue.

I would have the same degree of sympathy for anyone who's car was denigrated in this way - you only have to look at the other cars advertised for sale to see the same rhetoric repeated time and time again!
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 12:33   #17
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

I don't feel the car has been misdescribed, although it is (in my opinion) over priced given its condition and the work it needs to last more than one winter.

My advice (which the seller can ignore) would be to revise the price downward if he wants to sell it.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 14:53   #18
gudgeonpin
I've Been Banned

Quote:
'Gudgeonpin' You are patently not reading what I have written! I have said more than once that I do not know the vendor of this car yet you persist in referring to him as my 'friend' or, in your last post, 'chum'! Pay attention before replying and perhaps your response will at least have a modicum of relevance to the points at issue.

I would have the same degree of sympathy for anyone who's car was denigrated in this way - you only have to look at the other cars advertised for sale to see the same rhetoric repeated time and time again!

Chill dude , Fact remains the cars a overpriced piece of tat and i would hate for a forum member to fall for the classic car nonsense
As said man up and get into the real world , if you cannot do that refrain from bitching at members who are merely being honest and straight

PS Love your comment ..."true there is a little rust on the wheelarches ".... FFS man they are as rotten as a pear ...get a grip

Last edited by gudgeonpin; Mar 7th, 2014 at 17:04.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 17:13   #19
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

'Gudgeonpin' I vowed to myself that I would not enter into a semantic argument with you, but I feel that your last post should not go unchallenged.

It seems to me that not only do you have little respect for members and their cars, but you are also unwilling to accept well-meant advice yourself. A phrase including the words 'pot' and 'kettle' springs to mind. I do not have a problem, but I fear that you have. If you have not, you would not find it necessary to pour scorn upon another member and their car whilst hiding behind a pseudonym.

This particular car may or may not be all the things that you say it is. It may or may not be worth 'icooney's' asking price. These are matters of opinion - and yours is equally as valid as anyone else's.

My 'advice' to you, 'Gudgeonpin', for what it is worth, is to learn a little respect for other members and their feelings. You might then find that people are more favourably inclined to listen to you than if you continue to rant at those with the audacity, in your opinion, to challenge your views.

If the cap fits .....
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 17:30   #20
gudgeonpin
I've Been Banned

Wink

Quote:
'Gudgeonpin' I vowed to myself that I would not enter into a semantic argument with you, but I feel that your last post should not go unchallenged.

It seems to me that not only do you have little respect for members and their cars, but you are also unwilling to accept well-meant advice yourself. A phrase including the words 'pot' and 'kettle' springs to mind. I do not have a problem, but I fear that you have. If you have not, you would not find it necessary to pour scorn upon another member and their car whilst hiding behind a pseudonym.

This particular car may or may not be all the things that you say it is. It may or may not be worth 'icooney's' asking price. These are matters of opinion - and yours is equally as valid as anyone else's.

My 'advice' to you, 'Gudgeonpin', for what it is worth, is to learn a little respect for other members and their feelings. You might then find that people are more favourably inclined to listen to you than if you continue to rant at those with the audacity, in your opinion, to challenge your views.

If the cap fits .....

Im hardly ranting , seems to me wiggers old boy thats its your good self doing most of the ranting ..now calm down , have a nice pot of tea and chill , and lets beg to differ

Last edited by gudgeonpin; Mar 7th, 2014 at 17:32.