Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 engine humming/droneing noise

Views : 5528

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 08:55   #1
big fuz

Default XC90 engine humming/droneing noise

2004 XC90 D5 (163) 135,000 Geartronic

I can only describe it as a drone ing noise (almost like wind noise) from the engine bay ONLY when accelerating. The moment I come off the pedal the noise disappears.` Noticeable at speeds above 25-30 mph. I have read through the forums but it seems there are noises from, altenator-turbo-split hoses-belts etc so hard to know where to start as I can't find a thread that has mentioned the drone I am getting. The pitch also stays the same no matter what the speed.
After getting a recent service, I noticed that the air filter housing is far from sealed and the mechanic told me that this was normal as they can go out of shape because of prising it open using a lever against the fuse box, repeatedly over the years. Not sure if relevant, but only mentioning it as this -to me- is the area the noise is coming from. . He said he checked the turbo hoses and all ok, (visually from above while I was with him)
Anyone else have similar noises, I think from the passenger side.

Thanks

Last edited by big fuz; Dec 2nd, 2015 at 09:18.
big fuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 11:31   #2
big fuz

Just a little more info on this annoying issue, The noise starts at 30 ish and disappears around 50mph. I'm starting to worry if its the turbo, but my indie said that after 20 years in a Volvo main dealership, he has never replaced a turbo.
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 13:05   #3
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

My money is on a wheel bearing.... I had the same problem btw and this is what it turned out to be.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobdabuilda For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 19:06   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

That's a curious one - suggest to try to narrow it down you:

- Check that it is proportional to road speed, not engine speed; use the geartronic to drop and lock it into 3rd and 4th and repeat the test to see if you get the noise at exactly the same speed? If you do then it's transmission/final drive/wheel bearing related. Does the noise change when the torque converter locks up at 55 in 5th, 40 in 4th or 3 in 3rd?

- Unlikely but just check the rubber seal at the bottom of the steering column and that it is securely located into the bulkhead and the small bearing on the steering column itself - i.e. air tight.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 05:38   #5
volvo for ever
Premier Member

get your garage to drive in on wheel free ramp switch off the dtsc then get some one to drive it and listen for bearing noise ..is it tyre noise possibly ???
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo for ever For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 08:22   #6
Danielpsmith
Master Member

I have the exact same noise on my s60 d5 03 reg it is a whining noise only on acceleration mine started after I had a new drive shaft fitted it's never got any worse in 2 years since it has been changed had it looked at lots and they found nothing guessing it's the diff or gearbox or something like that but it's still annoying when I drive it
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danielpsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 11:02   #7
big fuz

I will check this out as I do think it disappears as soon as I go into 5th. Just can't understand how its accelerator pedal related which almost acts as the switch for the noise. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 11:04   #8
big fuz

Thanks volvo for ever, I did think bearing at first but would it only make a noise when accelerating as there is nothing at all when free wheeling. Thanks
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 13:01   #9
big fuz

tried a test run Tannaton. It does seem road speed related, as I got her up to 30 ish (uphill) changed from 2nd - 3rd - 4th on geartronic, obviously at differing revs and the noise stayed the same with no volume or pitch change. I was ruling out wheel bearing as it disappears when I come off the accelerator pedal. Is there an overdrive in these cars, as when I took her on the motorway 55mph in 5th and then it seemed to go into overdrive/ drop the revs a little and the noise stopped. Not sure if the engine noise drowned it out or it just stopped. I just reminds me of wind noise howling through an open window. FYI I got the gearbox oil changed when my indie changed the transfer sleeve last month. (the noise was there before the sleeve and oil were replaced)
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 16:55   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by big fuz View Post
tried a test run Tannaton. It does seem road speed related, as I got her up to 30 ish (uphill) changed from 2nd - 3rd - 4th on geartronic, obviously at differing revs and the noise stayed the same with no volume or pitch change. I was ruling out wheel bearing as it disappears when I come off the accelerator pedal. Is there an overdrive in these cars, as when I took her on the motorway 55mph in 5th and then it seemed to go into overdrive/ drop the revs a little and the noise stopped. Not sure if the engine noise drowned it out or it just stopped. I just reminds me of wind noise howling through an open window. FYI I got the gearbox oil changed when my indie changed the transfer sleeve last month. (the noise was there before the sleeve and oil were replaced)
Ok - so it's sounds like it is something drivetrain related then.

There isn't an overdrive on these cars, the change in revs at 55 mph is the torque converter locking up (i.e. becoming solid like a clutch rather than a fluid coupling) - this is as expected. You will also get the same thing happening at 40mph in 4th gear and 30 mph in 3rd gear but only when you manually select them (i.e. geartronic mode).

- I would suggest an experienced ear might be the best way forward - it's difficult to suggest what to do next as it's not easy to disconnect or substitute drivetrain components.

- Check that the transfer box output flange (i.e. connection to the rear propshaft on the gearbox) is not catching on the steering rack heat shield. If it is then this could be your noise and 99% means your rear engine mount is knackered. Hopefully this link will work: https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=...oAtyaKiOnJM%3A (the photo is not an XC90 - you can see the flange and immediately below it the steering rack. On your car there will be a sodding great exhaust and catalyst there as well). Another tell tale sign is if the gearbox is very close to or touching the rubber stop on the subframe at the bottom.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 30th, 2015 at 17:04.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote