Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash Bulb Replacement 01-04 S40/V40

Views : 117491

Replies : 186

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 17:33   #151
JJPerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfob View Post
Quick question.

I just look at the pictures posted on Page 1 of this thread.

The climate control bulbs do look longer than the bulb from the headlight switch panel. Can someone correct me?

Climate Control bulb
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2543/...b70888be2d.jpg

vs.

Headlight Switch bulb
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2702/...321a742ba8.jpg
They're t4 tall, but the one's you're going to order will also work.

The one thing about SMD's, is that they don't throw 360 degree light like a bulb, so, it'll look brighter in certain places on your heater control panel

The girlfriend drives a 2003 V40 2.0 SE Auto, because she can't find reverse on a manual gearbox
JJPerez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JJPerez For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 17:38   #152
iamfob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJPerez View Post
They're t4 tall, but the one's you're going to order will also work.

The one thing about SMD's, is that they don't throw 360 degree light like a bulb, so, it'll look brighter in certain places on your heater control panel
Thanks again JJPerez for answering my questions. I really appreciated!

I currently have no light so even the SMD is only throw 180 degree light, it's still better than my burnt out bulbs now.

I can't wait to install the LED bulbs and able to see at night
iamfob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iamfob For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 17:43   #153
JJPerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfob View Post
Thanks again JJPerez for answering my questions. I really appreciated!

I currently have no light so even the SMD is only throw 180 degree light, it's still better than my burnt out bulbs now.

I can't wait to install the LED bulbs and able to see at night
No worries. You'll have a nice white dash, instead of the stock green

The girlfriend drives a 2003 V40 2.0 SE Auto, because she can't find reverse on a manual gearbox
Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 18:17   #154
rigo3t

Default LCD Dashboard Lights

Hi guys, I have an automatic 2000 S40 Turbo. Are the lights on the small LCDs (clock, odometer, and info) also part of these lights? My radio screen SC-802) and all three LCDs are completely off. I can see the RPM counter, speed indicator and temp and fuel tank gauges but I can't see any of the screens. I'd really like to have them replaced but I'm not sure if those are also these small bulbs. Anyone has had this issue?

Thanks

Also, I've been looking all over the place to find instructions on how to take the DIM off so I can access the light bulbs. I'm assuming I need to unscrew the two screws on the top of the casing of the instrument cluster, pry off the plastic frame, and maybe some screws holding the actual cluster with the plastic transparent cover. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Last edited by rigo3t; Apr 3rd, 2015 at 18:50. Reason: I needed to add info.
rigo3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 19:02   #155
JJPerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigo3t View Post
Hi guys, I have an automatic 2000 S40 Turbo. Are the lights on the small LCDs (clock, odometer, and info) also part of these lights? My radio screen SC-802) and all three LCDs are completely off. I can see the RPM counter, speed indicator and temp and fuel tank gauges but I can't see any of the screens. I'd really like to have them replaced but I'm not sure if those are also these small bulbs. Anyone has had this issue?

Thanks

Also, I've been looking all over the place to find instructions on how to take the DIM off so I can access the light bulbs. I'm assuming I need to unscrew the two screws on the top of the casing of the instrument cluster, pry off the plastic frame, and maybe some screws holding the actual cluster with the plastic transparent cover. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Gatos guide here will help you remove the DIM http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=dashboard+v40

Robert's youtube video might help you look in the radio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ulxK9HtNs

And this for the bulbs you'll need http://www.skandix.de/en/installatio...uster/2000418/

The Following User Says Thank You to JJPerez For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 19:47   #156
rigo3t

Thanks JJPerez, you know it all!! That's going to be my project for this week, I'll post pictures once it's done.

Many many thanks!
rigo3t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rigo3t For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 20:08   #157
JJPerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigo3t View Post
Thanks JJPerez, you know it all!! That's going to be my project for this week, I'll post pictures once it's done.

Many many thanks!
You're welcome. I can't take the credit tho, it's other members help and research that has helped me to learn these things myself. Without them, I wouldn't have the knowledge I have now

Old Apr 4th, 2015, 02:14   #158
mariobautista

Default About the bulb replacement procedure

Hi guys!

I've read your thread about the bulb replacement thinking I just needed to replace the ones for the AC control. Then I realized the bulbs not working are for the AC, information panel and lights (at the left of the steering wheel).

I've checked on the fuse box, but found no independent fuse for it. Any ideas to why this bulbs do not light and/or where should I start?

Regards,

Mario
mariobautista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2015, 09:57   #159
v40alex
I do like a V40

Have you tested one of the bulbs on an independent 12V source? They might all just be blown.
The Following User Says Thank You to v40alex For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 19:43   #160
gordonr

done my dash with led lights the other week , i used the small version lights and got them on amazon for under a fiver

type in the search panel on amazon the following ~ 10 Pcs Ice Blue T4.2 3020 SMD 1 LED Gauge Panle Light Internal

440 turbo
440 glt

Last edited by gordonr; Apr 5th, 2015 at 19:46.
gordonr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gordonr For This Useful Post: