Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Woe is me, and thrice woe!

Views : 3406

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2013, 22:12   #21
billyboggins

£240 for the ATF ? or did you mean £24.00 ? i hope so
billyboggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 22:23   #22
thetroublemaker

Genuine ATF runs £15 per litre nowadays.

The cheapest I have got ATF down to (DEXRON 3) is £14.50 plus vat for 4.54 litres of Comma stuff - so thats £70 for the similar amount.
Old May 9th, 2013, 08:35   #23
enzoneo
VOC 26271

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboggins View Post
£240 for the ATF ? or did you mean £24.00 ? i hope so
I kid you not. LLoyds of Carlisle, but that included 4 O rings at £2.50 each ! I have about 3 litres of the 16 left and am going to treasure it !
enzoneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:38   #24
billyboggins

16 litres !!!!!!! i used about 9 at most recently
billyboggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 13:31   #25
enzoneo
VOC 26271

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboggins View Post
16 litres !!!!!!! i used about 9 at most recently
It gets worse. I bought 16 litres just in case and told the guy it could probably be done using 11 litres. When I got to the guys in Glasgow and they told me that the box was 1.5 litres short and that they had put their stuff in for an extra £10 its now £250 !!! Maybe, just maybe I should have had a go at doing it myself, don't think I could have cocked it up any worse !!!
Old May 10th, 2013, 00:48   #26
TurboZutek
Premier Member

A good compatible MV ATF that betters the Volvo spec can be had for about £3 a litre. There's a thread, just search for 'PetroCan MV' and you'll hit on it.

Chris...
Old May 11th, 2013, 12:08   #27
enzoneo
VOC 26271

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZutek View Post
Though it's fiddly, it is an easy job to set right so fingers crossed in a couple of days you are good!

Chris...
chris,
Does the b4 band lie fore and aft or athwartships, ie has it to be pulled rearwards or to the side to get it in position. I need all the info I can get for the man doing the job.
Old May 11th, 2013, 15:16   #28
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Yes no totally uncommon but a resultant factor of a garage that has no clue what they are doing with a simple ATF fluid change.

Now lets face it the AW box is fitted to a good many manufacturers cars and really no excuse for such incompetence. Fair play at the same time as they have held their hands up and accepted responsibility for what is 100% their fook up.

The only real problem is you'll never gain back compensation for your true costs because of the problem and excess hassle and travel because of it. The in situ fix as already pointed out has been done by many people but although simple is fiddly.

You can get correct oil far cheaper than you have been charged, with a trade card you can pick up Vauxhall JWS 3309 for approx. £7 a litre, I myself have picked up a Petro MV 20 litre drum which cost me iirc approx. £85 so approx. £4.25 a litre.

Good luck and hope the garage gets the band back in place for you.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 17:41   #29
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzoneo View Post
chris,
Does the b4 band lie fore and aft or athwartships, ie has it to be pulled rearwards or to the side to get it in position. I need all the info I can get for the man doing the job.
IIRC, it runs front to back (the shafts are all longitudinally mounted in line with the engine)- that's to say that looking at the box you'll have to insert a screwdriver and pry back towards you to re-align the band. The moment you let up on that screwdriver you'll notice it springs back out of alignment!

Damn!

So, you can make it easier by removing the B4 servo - with it out of the way the band is basically loose in the box so you have a much greater amount of movement from it. It should then be possible to align it, bolt it down and then re-install the B4 servo. That's pretty much how it's done at the factory, though it's easier for them as they can spin the box upside down and let gravity lend a helping hand.

Best of luck!

Chris...
Old May 11th, 2013, 21:48   #30
enzoneo
VOC 26271

Thanks for that Chris. I have found a sheet showing where the B4 servo cover is and how to remove it and the piston so that should help him.
I think he has all the ammo he needs now, patience I cannot give him.
Phil
The Following User Says Thank You to enzoneo For This Useful Post: