Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A peculiarity in the central locking??

Views : 1002

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2013, 11:26   #1
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge
Default A peculiarity in the central locking??

As far as I can judge, my central locking system works fine. All the doors lock properly, all the appropriate door and courtesy lights go out, the indicators double flash on locking and the red light on the dash flashes (the alarm doesn't work... hasn't done since I bought the car... but I'm not really bothered by that).

So... all is OK and tickety-boo... seemingly.

Now the anomaly (or maybe it's just imagination). I go outside for the occasional 'cough and a drag' and stand in the car port area. A couple of times I thought that I have heard the deadbolt motors 'whir' while I'm in the vicinity of the car - just like they do a little while after the car has been locked using my remote fob. But there is no sound of deadbolts engaging. And I haven't had the car keys on my person or in my pocket!

Perhaps... My iPhone has been in my pocket (Bluetooth off) and my wi-fi router for the computer is in the room above the car port. Has anybody ever heard of either of these possibly affecting their remote central locking - or are their operating frequencies miles away from any central locking electronics?

It might also explain why I have had a flat battery in the car, when it hasn't been used for quite a while a couple of times, if the locking motors keep triggering. The battery and charging system have been checked thoroughly and there are no signs of more than a very minor 'drain' that is well within acceptable limits when the car is at 'rest'.

Thoughts?

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 17:53   #2
V70Zig
Master Member

Not a clue...but you say the alarm hasn't worked since you got it ? Not sure but my thoughts are....should the alarm system receive a signal from the deadlock system ? So once set it doesn't try to deadlock again ? (even though it has, hence just the 'whir') and trying to deadlock again ?
Do you have access to Dice as this might throw up a fault. Alarm issues don't trigger the eml. Alarm light flash more than a couple of times after start up ?

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 20:06   #3
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

DICE does say many bits of alarm non-functional - but not in a way that would try to make the deadlocks want to 're-lock' as far as I can see.

And yes, I do get a couple of rapid flashes from the led after start up.

Whatever it is (if it's not imagination) is only very occasional. Over the past month I think I've heard the noise three times. But then again, my 'cough and a drag' sessions are not very frequent either.

Is it possible to completely disarm the alarm system?

Last edited by christheancient; May 9th, 2013 at 20:07. Reason: addition
Old May 11th, 2013, 07:14   #4
V70Zig
Master Member

Do you lock the car using the fob? I think this also sets the alarm, I'm sure I've read a couple of "alarm woe" posts where peeps lock up now with key only as this way the alarm isn't set. Worth a try.

Old May 12th, 2013, 15:53   #5
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Zig View Post
Do you lock the car using the fob? I think this also sets the alarm, I'm sure I've read a couple of "alarm woe" posts where peeps lock up now with key only as this way the alarm isn't set. Worth a try.
Sorry for the delay - not been on line for a couple of days!

Yes, I do lock with the fob - mainly because I know that sets the deadlocks. I've not tried it yet, but would just locking with the key set them?

BTW... not heard the sound for a few days.

Is it possible to completely disconnect the alarm side of things without actually going through the nausea of getting in and under the wheel arch?

Old May 12th, 2013, 18:13   #6
klausc
Old fart

I suspect the battery for the alarm might have leaked and has rendered the circuit board useless. This is a common problem and the only real solution is module replacement with a proper battery. A repair shop with a Volvo scan tool can check the alarm system for proper operating sequences.
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:39   #7
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

A scan with VIDA/DICE did say that there were several 'problems' in the alarm system (I do remember the ultrasonic sensors being flagged up).

However... pennies are tight and I can't justify the cost of replacing anything in the alarm system on a car of that vintage at the moment.

Is there a way of disabling the alarm system completely without affecting the rest of the central locking system?

Old May 13th, 2013, 13:13   #8
RiPsTa33
Trader

Yes the deadlocks will work by locking the car with just the key, i can send you a pair of ultrasonic sensors for £10 in black or beige
The Following User Says Thank You to RiPsTa33 For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2013, 17:26   #9
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiPsTa33 View Post
Yes the deadlocks will work by locking the car with just the key, i can send you a pair of ultrasonic sensors for £10 in black or beige
Thanks for the answer on the deadlocks.

New ultrasonics would be a waste at the moment - they'd be the only bit of the alarm system that would probably be serviceable!

Old May 13th, 2013, 18:27   #10
V70Zig
Master Member

Ok...so the led flashes after starting (means fault) which you know about. Deadlocks engage with locking by key only, so try it and post back the outcome.

The Following User Says Thank You to V70Zig For This Useful Post: