Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

fuel pump noise

Views : 1084

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 18:39   #1
mark gleaves

hi,not bin on for a while.pressures of work n thatbut have prob with a noise from fuel pump on my 240 . it starts about a third empty and gets louder as more fuel used. would change of fuel filter be cause or could it be the solenoid
as its been suggested to me?.any assistance would be grateful.mark
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 19:24   #2
octo0072000

Talking Re Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark gleaves
hi,not bin on for a while.pressures of work n thatbut have prob with a noise from fuel pump on my 240 . it starts about a third empty and gets louder as more fuel used. would change of fuel filter be cause or could it be the solenoid
are you sure the tank pump is working 1 in tank 1 under car if tank pump not working main pump is doing overtime (does fuel gauge work or not) look under wood panel in est boot carpet in car square panel 4 screws see if wires are on or not normally rot off

search forum under fuel gauge or tank pump and go from there sounds like tank pump not working Guage unit and pump are at last count £248.00 plus vat volvo part only go very carefully

as i have to do mine as wires rotted off so no gauge or in tank pump working in mine main pump noisey when low fuel

octo0072000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 08:28   #3
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Sometimes it is simply that the small rubber hose connecting the intank pump to the sender unit has perished and developed a leak, this can be replaced with a short length of fuel hose.
You can buy the in tank pump separately for £30-£40 iirc. However you have to be very careful removing the sender unit from the tank or more precisely the hoses from the sender unit. It is very easy to break the tubes at the top of the sender unit as they are normally quite corroded. Good second hand units are not easy to come by. You may also come across the hard platic fuel line that is very hard to deal with.
If you do nothing the noisy pump will eventually stall and leave you stranded - been there, done that.
Clean the area of all loose debris before you open the tank or it will fall in. Work in a well ventilated area.
There is no solenoid in the fuel system that I know of.

Andrew
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 09:40   #4
octo0072000

Talking Re Solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark gleaves
Re Solenoid

are you meaning the fuel pump relay this is under dash access from left side right up behind the radio if top mounted if relay gone car will not startor it may start stop after 2 mins the all ok for rest of day the no start next day etc relay either all stop or intermitent

octo0072000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 09:48   #5
Peter D
Peter D

Yep, failed Intank pump or hose connection at mentioned. You can check the pump by probing breaking the connection and linking the pins and measure the current. Mind you this only tells you the pump is running and does not identify a persihed bit of pipe. The is a bleed valve ( Tyre Type ) just prior to the HP pump. If you disconnect the power feed to the HP pump under the rear seat and then link fuses 4 and 6 together you can hear the small intank pump you can also meabure the pressure at the valve it is only 2 psi but if you just press the valve you should get a shot a fuel. Be Carefull. Removing the tank insert is fraught with problems and load of rust. A new sender pump unit is over £200 and only from Volvo so be carefull. Often the problem is not the pump or the link pipe but a corroded power lead through and it has cracked the insert through the plate and sheared the power feed. Regard Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 23:05   #6
mark gleaves

hi all thanks for all the advice,the car starts and runs ok the noise is coming from rear of car and travels through to the front. havent had a problem with it
stalling as yet but time will tell.im hopeing to get chance this week to have a look at it.once again thanks.mark