Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spring compressors

Views : 1527

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 18:31   #1
dgbalfour
VOC Member

Default Spring compressors

In the not too distant future I will be swapping the front springs on my 1991 SE to the GLT spec ones. To do this, and for some suspension work on other cars, I am looking at buying a spring compressor.

Can anybody recommend one, or is there a certain type I should avoid? I've seen a 10" Draper one, will this be long enough?

Many thanks,

David
dgbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 19:21   #2
tuning_redblock
Grrrrrrrrrrreat Member

hello david, funny you should be doing this, I'm doing it at this very minute.

Best way of doing it is with the draper ones, I believe mine are the 10inch ones, but most importantly they are the ones you don't need a socket for, you can put an extension bar straight into the end of the threaded bar and just connect to a normal socket wrench.

Oh and investing in a 24mm offset ring spanner for the top nut, or some air tools would be advisable as well

regards andi
1989 245 GL(T) - Modified Tulip (Died 01.01.2007)
1996 460 Turbo - Scrap metal (11.01.2007)
1986 245 GL - Dead
1982 240 GLT - Rust bucket, all parts saved
1989 745 GL - Sold and still going
1989 440 Xi - Sold and still going
1988 240 GLT - Dead
1989 360 GLT - Stolen
1988 360 GLT - Twisted shell!!

Erm....I've lost my keys again darling.
tuning_redblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 22:00   #3
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

When changing springs I would recommend loosening the 24mm nuts till the nyloc part is of the thread (but obviously not fully) while the weight of the car is still on them. I prefer to remove strut to ensure spring compressors are safely fitted and compressing equally. You have to be careful of brake pipe fittings - give them a good soaking first. It is possible to change springs just by dropping the top but I find it difficult and don't like taking chances over compressing springs - they can kill! Also don't forget to mark position at top and ideally have 4 wheel alignment done afterwards not just tracking.
Best of luck.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 22:20   #4
J..M

I did a job a few months ago, compressing springs with £4.99 ebay compressors.

Trust me this isn't a area ya want to be in if you suffer from stress & general fear of compressed springs.

The job I had (Allways the pro me ) you took the strut off completely then took it to a bench for fettling..... I used a Black & decker workmate & whilst I did complete the task, I did have a compressor ping off on me & it sent a 14mm nut thro the air at about 1000Mph ...... Lucky it didn't hit me ......... I freakin' heared it whizz past my ear tho ........ It lodged itself in next doors wooden fence......... Umm so ........ I suggest ya pays more than £4.99 for yas compressors AND don't give me the job to do
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 01:31   #5
peteS40

Changed front shocks on my S40 recently and it was a mare to get the top nut undone (did not have the proper volvo tool to hold the strut), with no air gun what I did is to with car on the ground first used lots of wd40 on the nut, then used offset ring spanner on the nut and something on the other end to act as an extension then gripped the strut with mole grips very tight and wedged it against some wood so it couldn't move and gave the spanners on a nut a big sharp smack with a mallet to shock it off. This may help you although different car. Spring compressors on mine, were fine, can't remember how much they cost but for sure was a fair bit more than £5!! They've got the thing so you can put a 1/2" rachet in the end like someone above said.

Pete
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 08:18   #6
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brace
...ideally have 4 wheel alignment done afterwards not just tracking.
Best of luck.

Mike
Sorry but unless I have missed something, the rear wheels have no adjustment possible. Now if you can find a place that will adjust the camber as well as the tracking on the fronts that would be advisable. But as far as I know 4 wheel aligment is just not possible on a 200 series car.

Andrew
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:34   #7
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew (UK)
Sorry but unless I have missed something, the rear wheels have no adjustment possible. Now if you can find a place that will adjust the camber as well as the tracking on the fronts that would be advisable. But as far as I know 4 wheel aligment is just not possible on a 200 series car.
Yes - but the tracking adjustment is not always equal left and right.

For example if the overall toe in is +4mm, it may be best with 2.5mm one side and 1.5mm the other. I can't remember what the numbers are.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 22:29   #8
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Yes rear not adjustable but front is set off the rears.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 08:23   #9
Les, slight limp

I've got a 12 volt wheel nut remover from woolworths, 14.99, i find it's just the job for head bolts, suspension bolts etc, i find proper impact guns are too brutal and will snap a rusted up bolt, the cheapo one only gives half the whack but i find 5 or 6 hits and the nut/bolt comes undone, i haven't snapped anything yet with it, and as long as you use impact sockets (the black 6 point ones) it works great.
Les, slight limp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 15:32   #10
wagoneer

I used a laser 3 piece set bought from an Ebay dealer which was very reassuring. They have locking arms to lock each compressor onto the spring to stop the comp from moving. Price was about £20 plus postage. Having used cheaper ones in the past and lost a spring (next doors MK2 cavalier stopped it....) I was more confident in my new ones.