Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

An Emerging Saga

Views : 719

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 19:22   #1
DJ
VOC Member

Angry An Emerging Saga

Just serviced the 245 (B200F injection)- changed oil and filter, d/cap and rotor arm plus air filter.

First long fast run today and lambda warning light came on and the engine temperature gauge climbed alarmingly high. The temp was brought back down with the heater on full heat- round trip around 20 miles
I haven't had chance to investigate yet- but might I have disturbed something while tinkering (air mass meter is on the hose leading to the air cleaner unit, etc)?

Also, having removed the splashguard, I noticed a perished flexi aluminium pipe which runs from under the exhaust manifold (with a remaining 15" or so) and appears to have once gone (at full "pre-break-off" length) to a male coupling on the lower side of the air cleaner unit (near the bottom of the rad) I cut off a short piece of the remaining pipe in order to source a new one.

Am I correct in thinking that the routing is as above and what is its function (cold start, perhaps)?

Any ideas on the lambda and high temp. appreciated before I start jiggling around!
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 19:40   #2
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Yes, its a cold start air feed to the filter box.
No don't bother replacing it, can fry the filter air box if the thermostatic valve stops working. It does not seem to make any difference at all to the starting and running in this country. Its more like early 50's and before technology, where problems were to be had with carb icing. Seems to serve no useful purpose at all with the fuel injected engines, just a potential source of disaster.
Perceived wisdom on this forum is to discard the thing completely!

Did you do anything to the cooling system on the service. I believe that its possible to develop an air lock in the system, and the cure is to put the heater on to get rid of the air.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 19:42   #3
tuning_redblock
Grrrrrrrrrrreat Member

Hello DJ, you are indeed right about the cold start hose, it is not life or death if it is there or not, some people remove it and leave it off others replace with cone filters, you may be surprised at the cost of a new one from Hellfords etc.

Unfortunatly I don't kow much about the lambda sensor but I'm sure someone will
1989 245 GL(T) - Modified Tulip (Died 01.01.2007)
1996 460 Turbo - Scrap metal (11.01.2007)
1986 245 GL - Dead
1982 240 GLT - Rust bucket, all parts saved
1989 745 GL - Sold and still going
1989 440 Xi - Sold and still going
1988 240 GLT - Dead
1989 360 GLT - Stolen
1988 360 GLT - Twisted shell!!

Erm....I've lost my keys again darling.
tuning_redblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 20:28   #4
DJ
VOC Member

Unhappy An Emerging Saga

Many thanks to both swift reply posters- very useful.
I'm still dis-chuffed about the overheating, though- has the thermostat died coincidentally with the work I did (or a gauge/electrical thing) or was because I was ham-fisted and knocked something!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:42   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

If the Lambda light is on it means there is a fault registered by the On Board Diagnostic unit. That is the small black box mounted on the top of the left hand inner wing, just in front of the windscreen wiper motor.
Haynes gives the procedure for reading it.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 07:41   #6
DJ
VOC Member

Question An Emerging Saga

Many thanks, Clifford- I'll investigate asap.
Dave
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 00:01   #7
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

You haven't said what year your car is - so a complete 'shot in the dark' - but might you have disconnected the knock sensor on the engine?

I think the ECU will advance the ignition timing until the knock sensor tells it to back off - and over advanced ignition would cause overheating.

Might also explain the 'check engine' light.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 19:53   #8
DJ
VOC Member

Red face An Emerging Saga

Many thanks, Glen Morangie. It's a '91 H reg. I suspected that I'd done something while servicing it as it would have been a b----y unlucky coincidence seeing as the trip when all went wrong was the first time I used the car after the service.
I haven't had chance to check the car yet as I'm still at work, but it's booked in at a main dealer's for checking on Friday morning. Where would I find the sensor?
Dave
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 22:01   #9
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Where would I find the sensor?
Dave
I'm not absolutely sure on your car - mine's on the left side of the engine block, between the second and third cylinders.

As a general rule if I experience any electrical gremlins like this, I remove and replace any of the electrical connectors in the immediate area I have been working - often just disturbing them gives a bad connection, removing and replacing the connectors cleans up the contact.

Last edited by Glen Morangie; Jul 20th, 2006 at 22:05.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 10:44   #10
DJ
VOC Member

Wink An Emerging Saga

Thanks again, Glen M,
I reconnected all the electrical connections around the engine plus the air mass meter connector on the air ducting; lambda light is now out and all seems to be working OK. I took a test drive to the local main dealer where it was booked in for them to investigate, and it behaved, and they were happy not to take my money (Lipscombe, Canterbury) so fingers crossed- end of saga!
Dave