Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo S90 Road noise through tyres

Views : 4214

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 28th, 2021, 12:23   #21
OldEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt109 View Post
Same issue here with a V90 Cross Country MY21, purchased in Sept 20, I changed from a MY17. The increase in noise was very noticeable between the two cars. I changed the tyres from the Michelins fitted as standard, to the Pirelli Noise cancellation tyres, which may a 3db difference.

I could not stand the noise levels so traded the car at 7 months old, for a MY21 Audi A8

Using an app on my phone, on the same road @ 60mph, Volvo V90 83db, Our other car a 19 Seat Alhambra 63db, Audi A8 54db.

When I was looking into the issue I test drove a S90 T8 78db, MY21 V90 CC 75db. So I can only say they must be either reducing the thickness of the metal, or reducing the insulation or both. It’s a big shame as the rest of the car was excellent
There is no way the Audi is doing 54db at 60mph. The Audi also uses the hifi to generate noise to 'cancel' the real road noise so perhaps your 'Phone App' is confused. To help 'quantify', 50db is 25% of 70db.

We usually define 75db for an average car at 60mph. It's very difficult to get under 70db and I doubt any measurement beating this.

A much more significant factor is the age of the tyres. You will quite often find people saying that they have removed a premium (fully worn) tyre and replaced with a cheap (brand new) Chinese tyre and concluding the new tyre must be better! My fronts (still relatively quiet) at 4mm will be replaced next week for the same Pirelli Zeros with foam inserts.
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 12:56   #22
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEngineer View Post
There is no way the Audi is doing 54db at 60mph. The Audi also uses the hifi to generate noise to 'cancel' the real road noise so perhaps your 'Phone App' is confused. To help 'quantify', 50db is 25% of 70db.
I would hope that anyone doing a noise measurement of tyre noise in a car would have turned off the radio and any other sound source. There are also several other sound sources in a moving car, including engine and transmission noise, wind noise, as well as tyre noise.
Old Dec 29th, 2021, 17:38   #23
OldEngineer

Test on mine today (before new front tyres). Conditions...

V90 Momentum
3 year old tarmac and level
Dry surface
Measuring at ear level
Pirelli Zero Foam filled tyres (6mm Rear and 4mm Front) 245/45 18
Forced into 8th Gear.

60 MPH gives 70.6db
Old Jan 26th, 2024, 16:44   #24
Bigwelshdave

Did you get a recommendation? I have a 2017 S90 on 19” Pirelli Zeros ((Audi fitment-came with the car) which are due for change. I find them really noisy, so much so, I thought I may have a wheel bearing gone! Does anyone have any advice on good quality quiet tyres
Bigwelshdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2024, 09:55   #25
poopbunny

I'll weigh in on an S90 I own and a S80 P3 I still own and an ex owner of a S80 P2 and Mercedes W220.

With the P2 I went crazy and Dynamat nearly the whole car. I got a very good lesson in law of diminishing returns. It did help but not as much as I had hoped.

I started doing the same on the Mercedes but found there was not much I could do to a S Class that wasn't already done at the factory.

From what I learned in the S Class and P2, here are my recommendations.
- add MLV on the external wheel liner
- add Dynamat or similar on the floor and wheel well
- same for boot/ trunk.
- imagine a straight line between your ear and the contact point of the tyre on the road, you want as much mass as possible between these two points, other than that, it's reflection and LDR to cover those.
- doors do very little other than noise from passing traffic.

And from owning the S90 I replaced the factory Pirelli with Michelin PS 4. The PS4 is a performance yet quiet thread pattern. Then I added foam. The foam was 50mm thick and the width was to the very edge of the tyre. Glued this to a few points on the inside of the tyre. This made a big difference. The wheel would need balancing at least twice. The centrifugal force of the wheel balancing device is not high enough to settle the foam first time.
poopbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2024, 19:09   #26
neilgorin

My experience is that the Volvos I have had all were much noiser when new with the original Michelin or Pirelli tyres that they left the factory with but quieter with everything that followed.

Best tyres I've had were a budget all-season tyre from a brand called Imperial - very quiet yet outstanding grip and wear rates.

Absolute worse for both grip, noise and wear were the original Pirelli on the same car (a 19 V60).