Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 buzzing/rattle from passenger side

Views : 6498

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread : RGC76

Old Feb 6th, 2019, 08:14   #11
Jamieboy

Right, so infuriated by this I decided to investigate and do something about it. I had found that the creaking/rattle sound when the car was warm could be stopped by firm pressure on the glove box - so I decided this is where to start. It worked a charm - so thought I'd post it up properly to help others if they have the same.

Glove box on the V90 is very easy to remove. There are two T20 torx bolts on the underside to remove the plastic undertray. This reveals two more T20 bolts securing the bottom of the glove box itself. There is then a 7mm (or it could be 6mm - sorry can't quite remember) hex bolt at the rear of the glove compartment - N.B. you need quite a long reaching socket to get to this. Next step is three more T20 bolts right at the front top of the glove box (needs to be open to access them) - then it simply pulls out. There is wiring which needs to be disconnected to fully remove - I didn't bother and just propped it up in the footwell.

lower contact points.jpg

Most obvious culprit for the noise in my view is shown above. The hard plastic of the lower rear frame which the glove box sits in is right against the hard plastic of what I think is the footwell air duct. I've marked the probable contact points in the picture above.

lower felt points.jpg

As per pic above, I put felt tape across the three areas where the two parts would be coming into contact.

Centre contact points.jpg

Next I looked at the hard plastic tube which I've marked red in the picture above. I don't know what this is as it seems to simply end without connecting to anything behind the centre console (is that worrying?). This tube was resting against the hard plastic of the frame of the centre console which I've highlighted yellow. If I reached along the tube behind the console it was also resting against a similar structure behind there (couldn't take pic). I just wrapped felt tape around the tube in both places.

Rear felt points.jpg

I thought the above was less likely to be an issue but whilst I was in there I put felt tape on the hole into which a large plastic lug on the rear of the glove box rests (red arrow above); the area that sits flush with the rear of the glove box around the 7(or 6)mm bolt (green arrow); and along a bit of metal frame which may be in contact with the top rear of the glove box (blue arrow above).

I then just put it all back together, putting a bit of PTFE lube on the mounting points.

Not sure exactly which element of the above did it - but this has completely solved both the vibrating rattle I had on startup when the car was cold and also the creaking rattle I had when the car was fully warmed through. I suspect it was the footwell air duct as this would have been temperature sensitive but anyway its sorted so i'm happy.
Jamieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jamieboy For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2021, 12:47   #12
V90Virgin

JamieBoy you are my hero, just done the glove box repair to my V90 and peace appears to have been restored
V90Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 11:11   #13
Rod57

Default Niggling rattle solved

I had a niggling rattle on the drivers side of my S90 (69 plate), usually starting around 1500 revs. I thought it was coming from inside, maybe from the door, or perhaps the dashboard area, but just couldn’t pin it down. Eventually the mechanic managed to trace it to the drivers side external front side panel (that extends over the wheel). He found this out by gently knocking on the panel and replicating the rattle. Initially he thought it was the wiper washer pipes knocking on the side and secured them. This helped for a very short time, but then the rattle returned within 24 hours. Took it back again this morning and the problem was fixed in 10 minutes. It appears that the underside arch cover above the Wheel has a hole where a stud would normally fit (we checked other S90’s and they had the same missing lug, so this is obviously the norm). The mechanic put a lug into the hole and problem solved. So simple and I am really surprised Volvo don’t fit this extra lug in the first place (unless there is some particular reason). I also asked him to plug the passenger side as very very occasionally I thought I heard a slight rattle on that side. Hopefully this may help some track down a niggling rattle that cannot be found. Good on the mechanic.
Rod57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 14:49   #14
St James

If you have an annoying buzzing sound, it can be the headlining.

I had it on my XC60 on the driver's side and I've got it again on the passenger side of my new V60 - I will get the dealer to sort it at first service cos it's not so loud as the XC60 was; but if I press the headlining above the headrest (basically), the buzzing noise goes away.

Also only occurs on rough road surfaces, so it's clearly some element of the inside of the headlining just touching some part of the roof/side pillar and gently vibrating at the perfect resonance to make the noise.....grrr....
2010 (10) Skoda Octavia vRS CR170 DSG
St James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2022, 18:54   #15
RSK55

Sorry, I know this is an older thread, but huge thanks to Jamieboy for his detailed answer.
I have recently bought a 2019 V90 CC which rapidly developed an increasingly annoying buzz at normal roadspeeds, which I thought was coming from the centre console - this would have been apart recently as I had Apple Play added to the car by the dealer, and they added the extra USB port in the centre cubby.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I did Jamieboy's recommendations. I've just done a 150-mile round trip with a couple of breaks, and not a hint of a buzz from anywhere. Fingers crossed that's caught it - thanks!

Roger
RSK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2022, 21:04   #16
Pc44

Default Rattle/buzz coming from air vent area

Hi, I know this thread is a bit old, but Jamieboy described all the steps I followed, while the rattle-buzzing sound is still coming out of the air-vent area.
I removed the glovebox, put a felt in the abovementioned spots, took a ride without the glovebox and the noise is still there.
Did anyone of you have similar issue and solved it?
I am loosing hope I will get rid of it.
Cheers
Pc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 12:05   #17
Sotosound
Premier Member

I used to think about buying a V90, but this thread has got me rattled.
Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 13:31   #18
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pc44 View Post
Hi, I know this thread is a bit old, but Jamieboy described all the steps I followed, while the rattle-buzzing sound is still coming out of the air-vent area.
I removed the glovebox, put a felt in the abovementioned spots, took a ride without the glovebox and the noise is still there.
Did anyone of you have similar issue and solved it?
Cheers
Getting rid of a car for a rattle, ALL cars rattle, even Rolls Royce cars rattle!
Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 15:38   #19
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pc44 View Post
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
Getting rid of a car for a rattle, ALL cars rattle, even Rolls Royce cars rattle!
I read that as meaning get rid of the rattle, not the car.
Old Oct 23rd, 2022, 10:40   #20
Pc44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
I read that as meaning get rid of the rattle, not the car.
As intended
Pc44 is offline   Reply With Quote