Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sound Proofing

Views : 4726

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2012, 23:51   #11
Derek UK
VOC Member

Adam. I expect you can get the correct push through plugs to hold the front felt in but it's not an easy fix, especially if you thicken up the insulation. I was thinking about an alternate fixing if I used Hardura vinyl coated felt and wondered if the plastic ratchet fasteners that can be used to fix electric fans to radiators would work. Yes you would have to put them in from the engine side but a dab of dum-dum would seal and hold them in place after you'd got the holes in the felt positioned correctly. I think they are reusable so you'd be able to release them from inside.
Other ideas here but Halfords have a selection of trim buttons. Worth a look.
http://www.bresco.com/acatalog/Butto...e_Buttons.html
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 10:55   #12
Bristol603

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishandgerman View Post
I also read with particular interest your comment about under bonnet stuff. Do I read correctly that you have stuck on some high density sound deadening pads FOLLOWED by having stuck some felt
Yes, I put a sound deadening pad inside the bonnet (covering about 25% of the area) before putting the sound absorbing foam over the whole area. I don't know if this is correct, but my reasoning was that the bonnet is a big flat sheet of metal and the extra mass would help damp reasonance. It does sound more solid when you now shut the bonnet, but I don't have any measured data that would show that the sound deadening pad does anything other than add mass to the car.
Bristol603 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bristol603 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 11:28   #13
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Hi Nigel,

Good write up thanks. You should be able to get the sedan quieter than the estate due to the estate just being a large box and harder to isolate the sound. Insulating behind the rear seat and the boot will also be beneficial where as in the estate without the additional compartment behind the rear seat the noise can't be isolated so there's not the same gains for insulating the rear of the car. The wheel arch liners the guys are talking about in the other thread should help reduce road noise as well and fully insulating the doors also reduce other road noise entering the cabin but you then start adding a lot of extra mass and time to do the install. There will always be quite a bit of wind noise due to the gutters and mirrors etc but you've made it over double as quiet as it was previously going by your readings and quite often I think it's more noticeable to measure the difference with your own hearing and if you can talk in the cabin without having to raise your voice and listen comfortably to the radio then that makes the car much nicer to be in and travel longer distances in. My hearing isn't the best so keeping secondary noise to a minimum is pretty important to me so I can hear what people say when they are talking to me.

Cheers,

Mitch
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 11:30   #14
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Thanks Derek! I hadn't thought about using modern trim clips, but I can well see the advantages, especially beacause I have a few spare in my garage from a small job I had to do on my big V70

I ended up buying the standard black faced felt because I was concerned about how well the vinyl faced hardura would stay in place. I am going to improve on the standard mat by making it a bit wider a lower down into the floor pans

Thanks very much for your recommendations for doing the bonnet Nigel. I will definitely try it out
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 11:38   #15
Peterjohnbull
VOC Member

Excellent post.

I too have paid Petersfield a visit and have some very shiny SY50 ALU stuck to the interior of my much quieter P1800S and a couple of sheets (largely unused so far) of F140 Duct foam.

I wish I had measured the sound before and after.

All I need to do is try and quiet the noisy quarterlights. They are really noisy.

REALLY noisy.

Pete
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 01:02   #16
asneddon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hunter View Post
I was interested to note the most noticeable improvement was under bonnet.
I have nothing on the bonnet on my 1800 but will certainly be doing this now.
I used the Brookhouse one in this thread:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=75024

I thought it worked out pretty well for the money to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterjohnbull View Post
All I need to do is try and quiet the noisy quarterlights. They are really noisy.

REALLY noisy.

Pete
I 100% agree with this. I've spent far too long trying to get mine quiet. If I push one of the corners with a thumb while driving they quieten down. Someone who knows what they are doing needs to do a write up of adjusting these to be quiet!
asneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 12:22   #17
Wulff

A few snapshots of my sound proofing project:

First the under the bonnet project duly inspired by this tread and the possible impressive 6db reduction:

Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 13:03   #18
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Wulff's pics. Very nice job and car collection you have!!!

I think what you did wrong was copy the address of the page rather than the pic address. Right click on the photo, go to properties and then copy the photo URL, then paste this URL in the link to attach photos.

Last edited by Burdekin; May 18th, 2012 at 13:06.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2012, 13:14   #19
Wulff

Mitch - Thanks for the kind words and the assistance with the pics. Well in photobucket I simply clicked in the link indicating what should be used for emails and messenger so not sure why it wouldn't work. Now I have even managed to find out how to post clickable icons - wohoo :-)

As to my collection I am certainly also very happy with it and thoroughly enjoy driving them. It's the only cars we have so they see a good use and my daughters love them. We had a VW Passat company car previously but the my daughters prefer the Amazon -obviously born with good taste :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Wulff For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2012, 13:17   #20
Wulff

So here we go with the next batch from the interior:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wulff For This Useful Post: