Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B16 Cylinder head studs.

Views : 2027

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2019, 10:05   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default B16 Cylinder head studs.

Doing an engine rebuild. I find the studs a pain in the a**e,especially when removing and replacing the head. Is it possible to replace with bolts and if so a source would be helpful.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 16:54   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

If your rebuild goes well, you're not likely to be removing the head again so a little inconvenience at this point not too annoying IMO. If the engine is out and on a stand you can use your engine crane to lift the head off if you find it a bit heavy.
Are you having hardened exhaust valve seats fitted?
A small Denso alternator would suit your car if it clears the bonnet hinge.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 17:10   #3
arcturus
arcturus

Probably do the valve seats. Re studs,I found it a pain trying to either replace head over studs,it always seems to hang up if it's not exactly square,alternatively getting the studs back into the block equally a pain. Will probably be sourcing used parts from Harry Hermanson in Sweden.Do you know which thread size is used on the studs where they screw into block? I might try to run a tap down to clean up the threads.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 00:56   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

You can use a couple of suitable bolts with the heads cut off as locators for getting the head in the right place. Running a tap down the block holes is a good idea. Try not to cut any metal! The same with a die in the studs. Locking a couple of nuts on the studs to test run them will work. I think they are M10 but probably hardened. There is a small amount showing above the nuts when torqued down and you could if you are brave cut a shallow slot in the top for a screwdriver. I remember doing that on the at least one of the B16 starter motor studs as with the nut stuck on, it just wound the stud out, but there wasn't enough clearance to take it out. This also helped to get it back in again. Does that sound correct? It was 50 odd years ago!
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 03:04   #5
blueosprey90
Master Member

My 2 cents, never having rebuilt a B16 engine.

You must chase (run a tap down) to clean up the holes. You must also chamfer all of the holes. This removes the threaded part of the hole that is pulled up when the studs were tightened.

And I would go with new, hardened studs rather than cap bolts if at all possible. There is a reason they were used in the first place. Studs allow a much more accurate torque value and don't "walk" when being tightened. Google "engine block studs versus bolts" and you should come up with several hits worth reading.

Studs and bolts tend to stretch when tightened down more than a few times, so check for stretch if reusing your existing studs.

Also, don't bottom the studs in the hole. Leave them 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn loose.

If the engine is out, even if you don't do any machine work, you might consider doing a refresh, with new bearings, cleaning the oil galleries, new oil pump etc.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 12:03   #6
arcturus
arcturus

Not M10. seems to be a finer thread.M10 nut will screw on for about three threads. Will need to find a thread gauge.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 14:05   #7
Thowdfella
Thowdfella

Brookhouse volvo list the bolts for the cylinder head. I mad getting some.
Thowdfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 14:11   #8
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thowdfella View Post
Brookhouse volvo list the bolts for the cylinder head. I mad getting some.
Not for B16 as far as I can make out
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 15:19   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

Part# 10567 nut M10x1,5x10 : cylinder head bolt B16. ... nut M10x1,5x10. 3,68 EUR. incl. 19 % Tax excl.
Above from Google search goes to Wagner and Gunther site but that seems to be dead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 19:55   #10
c1800
Master Member

I think you can find a parts catalog on the net for the 544/B16, I think there is also on the net Volvo fastener listing by part number showing size and thread.

Sorry don’t have all the links.

Here’s one, but I’m not a member, which you have to be to access the catalog

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/volvo_w...artsP544.shtml

Last edited by c1800; Nov 10th, 2019 at 19:58.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post: