Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pulling my hair out

Views : 2433

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2010, 07:54   #11
PeterW

I had a rear diff replacement on a 2005 XC90 last year (60K Miles).

I thought the noise was coming from the front and it sounded like wheel bearings. The dealers mechanic drove the car and said it was coming from the rear.

The dealer replaced both rear wheel bearings first as they thought it was that. When they road tested the car and the noise was still there.

Managed to get a 'good will' contribution from Volvo (£2000 from a total bill around £3500 I think). Not particularly 'good will' as it took a few heated calls to get them to agree.

(The dealer also put the old rear wheel bearings back on!)
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterW For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 08:54   #12
bluey_xc90

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Asking as it sounds like something I have.

I've just replaced rear passenger side bearing and both front bearings at 86k miles due to a drone that steadily increases between 30 and 60mph, and doesn't seem to be affected when going round corners. Reason I haven't changed the rear drivers side is I did that at 55k miles and don't think it would have gone that soon (although given the reliability of these bearings I don't know!). After swapping out the old bearings the sound seems to have decreased but not by much...and seems to be from the rear drivers/back axle.

Tyres are General Grabber UHP's which are about half worn - do these get noisier as they wear? Am concerned as going to go to france on friday for about a 2000 mile trip!
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 10:13   #13
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Is the drone worse between 18 and 1900 rpm? That's what mine was like and sorted when I changed both rear wheel bearings (MY07 and done at 55k miles)
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 11:16   #14
reggie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
Is the drone worse between 18 and 1900 rpm? That's what mine was like and sorted when I changed both rear wheel bearings (MY07 and done at 55k miles)
Mine has a drone at those speed.
Dealer says it is the tires which seems believable...
reggie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 11:20   #15
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie59 View Post
Mine has a drone at those speed.
Dealer says it is the tires which seems believable...
The stealers tried that line on me but it was the rear bearings, as the noise went after changing em.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 11:36   #16
bluey_xc90

It is across a range of rpm's but seems to be on most road surfaces. Have second set of Vredestreins Wintracs in the garage so may swap over and see if it goes with different tyres. Just need to work out if bearing and if so swap asap before hols! Hate all this last minute stuff!
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 11:37   #17
timh30

I've posted about this exact same issue on my wifes xc90, so would be interested in the original posters outcome.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 15:29   #18
andymuggwump

After changing all 4 wheel bearings the noise is still there. It hasn't got worse with time. I am running the same tyres the car came on and will be changing them on the rear soon to see if it cures it, which I suspect it won't. If not then I have managed to pick up a second hand rear diff and will be having that put in. My local garage says it could be bearings in the diff where the driveshaft goes in ?? any ideas??
andymuggwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 16:32   #19
bluey_xc90

I just tried different wheels and tyres on the rear and noise is there - so for the sake of £100 from eurocarparts (25% discount on at the moment with code) am going to replace the bearing with 30k on it to see if any difference.

Don't want to risk it failing on a 2000 mile road trip in France! Hopefully it will do something or else looks like something more complex in the transmission area... :-(
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 17:49   #20
andymuggwump

let us know how you get on
andymuggwump is offline   Reply With Quote