Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sign of head gasket problem.

Views : 3382

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2007, 22:34   #1
shiningliao

Default Sign of head gasket problem.

Hi,
I am just about to buy a Volvo S60 (2002 @ 120k miles). Examining the car shows the collant expansion tank have sign of a bit oil !!!!!

That is a sign of head gasket might be broken... is this correct?

I heard Volvo S60 should go much more than 120k before having such problem. Is this correct?

Should I forget about that car?

Appreciate any comment at here. Thanks.
shiningliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 11:37   #2
John_C
Allons-y!

Personally I'd walk away.

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 12:01   #3
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Inclined to agree thats it would be a good idea to walk away and look for something as fault free as I can get. Impossible to tell if its just the head gasket or at worse a cracked headed. Costs thus are could be very variable depending on the fault.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 14:18   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Yes, you would be better off walking.
Unless the price offered is so good as to cover you for an engine build and it is being sold by a Volvo dealer with a guarantee..

Plenty of other good condition cars available...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 20:28   #5
shiningliao

Thanks for all the advise. Thanks.

The price of the car is good, but not good enough to fix the head gasket problem or else.

What I would like to learn from here is a bit of Volvo D5 diesel engine knowledge.

I told the garage that it seems they haven't done the service this car for long time because of the engine is very black. They told me that is normal for diesel engine. I wasn't really believe what they said at first..... but after, I learned it is true (by visit different garage and check different diesel cars) that diesel engine oil get balck very fast. It's normal.

For the oil sign in the coolant expansion tank, salesman told me that is normal as there are different type of coolant.

I see the coolant colour is dark blue.... is this type of coolant for diesel engine have such sympton?

Another thing is. I would like to hear the experience of everyone. Is Volvo S60 D5 a realiable car? I thought Volvo diesel engine can last something like 250k +... at least this is my impression. If this particular got head gasket problem, then Volvo seems not so robust as I previous thought.

Any comment on D5 engine experience and technical side will be great appreciated.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 22:32   #6
shiningliao

I have searched through the whole forum. I cannot see anyone discuss about D5 engine gaket issue. It seems D5 engine is quite good.

Some posts got diesel engine head gasket issue or cracked headed issue but these all non D5 engine.

I am going to visit Volvo dealer and ask...
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 12:08   #7
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Best of luck. The D5 is a cracking car. Keep us posted.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 21:58   #8
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningliao View Post
Thanks for all the advise. Thanks.

The price of the car is good, but not good enough to fix the head gasket problem or else.

What I would like to learn from here is a bit of Volvo D5 diesel engine knowledge.

I told the garage that it seems they haven't done the service this car for long time because of the engine is very black. They told me that is normal for diesel engine. I wasn't really believe what they said at first..... but after, I learned it is true (by visit different garage and check different diesel cars) that diesel engine oil get balck very fast. It's normal.

For the oil sign in the coolant expansion tank, salesman told me that is normal as there are different type of coolant.

I see the coolant colour is dark blue.... is this type of coolant for diesel engine have such sympton?

Another thing is. I would like to hear the experience of everyone. Is Volvo S60 D5 a realiable car? I thought Volvo diesel engine can last something like 250k +... at least this is my impression. If this particular got head gasket problem, then Volvo seems not so robust as I previous thought.

Any comment on D5 engine experience and technical side will be great appreciated.
It's not normal to have oil in the coolant, and Volvo only use one type of coolant in the diesels. I'd find another dealer who's not a liar.

The D5 is a reliable engine but like any make of car can suffer from from the occasional faulty component. There isn't a 100% fault free make of car on the planet.

I'd compare a few if your not used to the car and find one you feel 100% happy with. I drove about 6 of the same car before I chose one I was happy with.

Roy
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 18:02   #9
John_C
Allons-y!

The comment about the oil in a diesel getting dirty quickly is true though, every diesel I've had including a modern common rail one has had filthy oil shortly after a service.

Must admit I've never heard anyone trying to blame different types of coolant for oil residue in the expansion tank before, that's priceless (and, as others have already said, a lie)

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 23:33   #10
shiningliao

Default Result

Took car to Volvo dealer for the possible gasket problem check... result shows the coolant pressure is normal.

As for the oil in the coolant tank.... the most likely answer is.... some idiot put the oil into the coolant tank.

I've flushed out the all the coolant. It's clear. Probably been cleaned before. Just the sign still left in the coolant expansion tank. I am replacing the tank...