Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engines covered in this forum

Views : 185811

Replies : 82

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2016, 23:31   #71
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

300 - the D172 should be B172 petrol engine. The only derv engine was the D16
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 11:53   #72
BilboBaggins1

Default D5 Auxiliary Belt

Hi,

I am after a bit of help.

I have an XC60 D5 that has just shed it's auxiliary belt which then took out the cam belt. Crunch! I always get it MOT's, serviced and repaired at the same garage and they have been great in the past.

The alternator and I assume belt were only replaced by my garage less than 500 miles ago. The alternator was replaced due to bearing issues. At the time I mentioned that the tensioner pulley was probably the problem because the rescue guy had stuck in his long screw driver and we had had a listen after he got it restarted. Lots of chirping and grinding. After the alternator was replaced it did all sound better, so I assumed it was all ok.

The garage are now facing me with a huge bill, almost 3K and I'm not sure it should be me paying.

Any thoughts on this.

Many thanks
BilboBaggins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 22:18   #73
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboBaggins1 View Post
Hi,

I am after a bit of help.

I have an XC60 D5 that has just shed it's auxiliary belt which then took out the cam belt. Crunch! I always get it MOT's, serviced and repaired at the same garage and they have been great in the past.

The alternator and I assume belt were only replaced by my garage less than 500 miles ago. The alternator was replaced due to bearing issues. At the time I mentioned that the tensioner pulley was probably the problem because the rescue guy had stuck in his long screw driver and we had had a listen after he got it restarted. Lots of chirping and grinding. After the alternator was replaced it did all sound better, so I assumed it was all ok.

The garage are now facing me with a huge bill, almost 3K and I'm not sure it should be me paying.

Any thoughts on this.

Many thanks
Was the aux belt and tensioner changed at the 54000 mile service ? who was responsible for the 54000 mile service ? Is there an outstanding recall or service campaign on the Aux belt and tensioner ?They would not necessarily have changed the belt just because the alternator was changed , was the Aux. belt on your bill ?
This is where the dealers earn their bread , knowing what is what and keeping your car out of trouble . ... It is quite complex The Aux belt and it's tensioner .
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 19:17   #74
djcovill

Default D5254t

Hi guys need a little help identifying a part on this engine. The part is located just behind the fuel pumpit is metal is abour 6" long there are 2 sensors that look a little like glow plugs. And out of the rear is a water pipe. Please could someone tell me what this is thanks.
djcovill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 19:26   #75
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcovill View Post
Hi guys need a little help identifying a part on this engine. The part is located just behind the fuel pumpit is metal is abour 6" long there are 2 sensors that look a little like glow plugs. And out of the rear is a water pipe. Please could someone tell me what this is thanks.
photo?
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 23:09   #76
David Evans
Sparkyrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The 1.6 D is a unit used in a multitude of models but not Renault .
Volvo , Ford , Citroen Mazda Mini , Peugeot to name a few , its not a bad engine , all alloy which is nice and light . Capable of 60 + mpg in the lighter cars .
Hi Clan, I have just bought a 1.6 diesel v60 2016, after owning a v50 2.00l diesel and have been told the 1600 is a rubbish engine, can you tell me if this is true, mines done 36000 miles, thanks Dave.
David Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 23:29   #77
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Evans View Post
Hi Clan, I have just bought a 1.6 diesel v60 2016, after owning a v50 2.00l diesel and have been told the 1600 is a rubbish engine, can you tell me if this is true, mines done 36000 miles, thanks Dave.
rubbish isn't a description i'd give any engine used in a volvo .. IT depends what is meant by that :-)
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 10:13   #78
David Evans
Sparkyrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
rubbish isn't a description i'd give any engine used in a volvo .. IT depends what is meant by that :-)
What is your opinion of the 2016 1600’volvo diesel please
David Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 11:02   #79
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Evans View Post
What is your opinion of the 2016 1600’volvo diesel please
you mean the D2 2 litre 4 cylinder ? It is basically the same as all the other D3 D5 and D5 of that age to date with less power ..
Old Jan 31st, 2021, 18:41   #80
WhiteKnight
Paul Hants & Dorset

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
Bob,
Don't forget the 900s which came with the D24Tic post '93, before that presumably the D24T or ?D24. We can agree to leave out those 900s equipped with the 5 cylinder motor as they were so rare presumably there are none left.

john
Volvo's relationship with the VAG D24 goes back to the 200 series LHD only not imported I believe they were non turbo. D24T's were definitely in the 700's as well, including the sadly never officially imported 780 :-)
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote